New XM8 Lightweight Assault Rifle

I'm undecided as the barrel length is really short (shorter than an m4) it's gonna reduce long range accuracy.

if you look and the link below they have varations of it. one has a longer barrel

pretty nifty. looks a little like a toy though.

Fairly impressive. If it works like they claim it's certainly an impressive piece of engineering.

Yeah they have a sharp shooter variant which isn't going to be issued to every solider, the majority will get the standard barel. The deployment line rifle has a 319 mm barrel length, thats about 12.5 inches. The m16 its replacing has a barrel lenght of 508 mm (20 inches), the m4 has a barrel length of 370 mm (14 inches), and that's a carbine.

Okay so the sharp shooter rifle has a barrel length equal to the standard M16.

However your standard trooper is going to be firing 5.56 nato rounds at lower muzzle velocity. This has an accuarcy issue at range. From what I can gather I can't see the sharp shooter XM8 being any more accuracte than the standard M16.

If you read the blurb its a modifed G-36 assault rifle. While I do not doubt the G-36's quality the barrel length of the G-36 carbine model is longer than that of the XM8's standard battle issue rifle.

I'd say I'm sure the Military knows what it's doing, however reading how useless the M16 was in its first incarnation I wont be holding my breath.

Eep.. gun buffs *Slowly exits thread*

no offence to whoever designed it, but i prefer the looks of the m16 to that....
more intimidating in my opinion

iron maiden - can i play with madness

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed." - Dwight Eisenhower

it looks kinda cool though

I prefer the disclaimer before The History Channel's "Tales of the Gun": "To better understand the gun is to better understand history."

heh I like this one:

"Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the United States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the 9 millimetre bullet." Dave Barry

Oh look, another gun. What a wonderful thing to make. That'll make our world safer, we'll be able to shoot up all them nasty arab terrorists with it.

Idiots.

Sure it's easy to complain, but think about the people who are in the armed forces. Those people are expected to put their lives on the line for our sake.

For them stuff like this is important.

crushenator 500 said:
no offence to whoever designed it, but i prefer the looks of the m16 to that....

They are for killing people, not looking good.

lePobz - Right. Should we just throw our guns away and wait for the terrorists to run out of bullet then?

They've got some very good ideas with that weapon, like the magazine being able to be dropped with only one hand.

military has gone from protecting the citizens to protecting private interests:

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

crushenator 500 said:

iron maiden - can i play with madness

off topic: your ave roks man, what is it? DOOM3? RE ?

topic: If I want to buy a rifle it wouldn't be that one :cheese:

I must say I don't like that xm8 at all... thought the new calibre will eb more effective fore sure =/

Anything that'll help save more of our soldiers' lives is good with me... I hate hearing about war and conflict, but if we have to fight we should have the right equipment to do so. There are less pointless losses that way

ive used it in frag-ops, the mp5 still owns it :p

seriously though, it doesn’t look intimidating at all. kind of futuristic but not scary. the military should stick to painting their guns black and adding as many unnecessary knobs and attachments as possible :).

okay...

link, im sure it serves its purpose extremely well, but saying 'theyre not there for looking good'' is stupid. they've obviously taken forever trying to design a cool looking futuristic gun.

gorgon, thanks :p and yeah, its what qwertasd said :E.

hatrabit, exactly :D. its smooth, rounded and green whereas the m16's big, black and chunky :)o)

i'de rather be tortuered then killed by that pansy weapon :rolleyes:

animals - house of the rising sun

I must say I don't like that xm8 at all... thought the new calibre will eb more effective fore sure =/

It uses the same 5.56 x 45 mm NATO round the m16 uses. It'd not going to be more effective than the current M16 in terms of stopping power. Infact with its shorter barrel length, and resulting muzzle velocity, therefore kinetic energy, it will be less effective than the M16.

It is lighter than the M16, and it has several neat features.

Yeah my friend showed me that awhile ago..
I think its crazy that you can hold that gun with one hand and keep it stedy while shooting.

well the Military is having second thoughts about this gun last i heard and there is supposed to be a new gun that might take the XM8's place entirely but it wont be finished till after 2006 when the XM8's were supposed to be in wide circulation by late 2005.

they should design a gun that only works on criminals ...and only works if the person is guilty ...oh and while we're at it, I'd like a unicorn please

CptStern said:
they should design a gun that only works on criminals ...and only works if the person is guilty ...oh and while we're at it, I'd like a unicorn please
Same....I want a unicorn that can kill people with its' horn.

Tr0n said:
I dunno...I might use the unicorn on people that piss me off.
You could always make pissing you off a crime. Or at least convince the Unicorn that it is.

We are having all those guns in E-Force .

Here is a un-skined model.

CptStern said:

Judge Dredd style? :p

Back