nice and free C/C++ Complier

Thadius Dean

Reaction score
is there someone who knows where i can download a free c/c++ complier? right now im learning C from "The Absolute Beginners Guide to C" quite a good book,

i tried downloading one from borland.com but i dont know how to get it up and running. if there are no free ones, or there is one good enought to buy, where can i buy it, and how much is it going to be?

i thank the'

or hey, you can just post what complier you use, and where you got it. any info will help.

G++ is the GNU C++ compiler, it's great if you don't want or need an IDE :p

Dev-C++ is the best free compiler I've seen, it uses the GCC 3.2 and is pretty good as long as you're not developing anything that uses the Win32API or DirectX.

djgpp is the best free compiler that i've found.

personally i have msvc++ .net, because i do alot of directx stuff.

i dont know if im using djgpp or dev-c++ (think its the latter).
Bloodshed are the makers. Quite good.
don't let the name put you off
C is thought to make learning C++ harder, but if youre in far, just roll with it i guess :| :D

Bloodshed makes Dev-C++ and I pity anyone still using a DOS compiler (AKA DJGPP) for windows stuff. I also have the latest visual stuio for windows applications.

Originally posted by Submerge
net sux, thats not real c++

.net compiler is a C++ compiler for windows and it does what it says. If you're referrin to C#, then yeah that's not really C++ it's a managed version of C that Microsoft made for their .NET web platform. However Visual Studio does have their C++ compiler as well as C# VB, and J# compilers.

Originally posted by rootbin
djgpp is the best free compiler that i've found.

personally i have msvc++ .net, because i do alot of directx stuff.

I use MSVC++ .... for the same reason, but I can't afford to buy .NET :|

(C makes C++ harder, for me it did anyway :p)

Originally posted by Submerge
KAzza + search for Visual c++ 6.0 does wonders

whats the ****ing point of DL VB just for the C++ compiler, if your learning to code don't learn VB first, it will make everything else seem ****ing impossible.

Back