Nice band... pity about the vocals

Bad^Hat

The Freeman
Reaction score
Post bands you might have enjoyed if not for the mildly peeving/extremely aggitating/just plain bad vocalist. I'll start the ball rolling with a few that I hear regular complaints about, but I happen to love all three, vocals and all :)

Muse (especially this one)
Mars Volta
Dream Theater (but especially this one)

Bad^Hat said:
Muse (especially this one)
Mars Volta

HAH! The very two bands who popped into my head when I read the thread title. Awful, truly awful.

New Found Glory

I can't stand his voice. Oh, and Marilyn Manson.

Oh yeah, Morbid Angel. AHAHA I kid. But seriously.

Matthew is a brilliant singer
Any band with an whiney american teenager sounding vocalist, eg. Green Day and Yellow Card
I dont actually like these, a bad vocalist for me makes the band unenjoyable.

I like Muse but the singer takes a breath, a very obvious one before every singing. He does it all the time and every so often all I can hear is him breathing in and I get pissed off.

Portishead... Don't get me wrong! I love the vocals, but I would love to hear it without aswell...

Heh, don't breathe around hotsoup.

For me any Teenage Teeney Bopper 'Punk' band. Expecially Busted. Ugh.

I take any chance I get to shit on HIM, so yeah, the vocals suck. As do everything else.

The Cooper Temple Clause

By the way, Cedrics voice is amazing. Live it can be bothering, bootleg wise, but if you`re actually there it sounds great.

Hot Soup said:
I like Muse but the singer takes a breath, a very obvious one before every singing. He does it all the time and every so often all I can hear is him breathing in and I get pissed off.

Haha, I've noticed that, it is a bit annoying sometimes :E

Exodus? Slayer?

I like metal, but usual the vocalists ruin it for me. I actually think the Dream Theatre vocalist is pretty good, not as good as the guy from Symphony X, but I've heard worse.

Slipknot.

Muse singers good, only just noticed the breathing lol...
Mars Volta suck, i saw them live supporting the Chili Peppers awhile ago, awful... just plain awful.

The Mars Volta are an amazing band. so incredibly talented and so kick-ass live.
Muse... i could say pretty much the same thing.
Zao ROCKS!!!
Slipknot... should've stopped making music after their self-titled debut. =/

although they haven't been mentioned yet, Coheed & Cambria have a really odd lead vocalist. i love their music, and find his voice hilariously great, but some dont like it.

as for the actual topic at hand:

Radiohead
Bowling For Soup
The Used

I think that the singer for Muse sounds fine.
And Radiohead just wouldn't be the same if it didn't have Thom Yorke at the mic, regardless of what you think of his vocal talents. It's brought me to tears on some tracks.

I'd have to go with Marylin Manson. It's this constant ****ing raspy groaning followed by a yell. This is then put on repeat about six times.

Iced Earth. that is pretty much the reason I don't like em. vocals are a big part of music for me, so if they suck I don't like the band. highest candidate on my list is jump, little children in a few of their songs, butt hats mainly just the whiney generic we sound like evryone else band coming out in em. sort of like newfoundglory, good charlotte, all 'those' bands.

anyhow, yes, Iced Earth. I can't stand growling.

I'll go with what SubKamran said and say New Found Glory... holy flying hell, that guy has one of those voices that pierce directly into your soul with their annoyingness. It's so nasal and oddly high-pitched. I can't stand it at all.

And their videos are pretty terrible, but that's completely off-topic.

[edit] And with the whole growling thing, don't ever listen to Lamb Of God. They're like Alexisonfire without the singing or skilled guitar work, only in a way that makes it sound extremely bad.

ooh, ooh, lemme throw in: most female singers!

their voices tend to be as irritating as their song topics

"ooooooooh whyyy diddd you duuump meeeeeee oooh welll I'm an independant woman anyway and strong like a truckeeeeeeeeeeeeeer! hell I even look like OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!"

Muse (I can't believe I liked this band at one point)
Radiohead (The vocals have stopped me from checking more than a couple of songs)
Any punk band (Well yeah)

To anyone who said Corey from Slipknot is an awful singer, listen to some Stone Sour. He does a lot more singing than yelling and it's wonderful imo.

SubKamran said:
New Found Glory

I can't stand his voice. Oh, and Marilyn Manson.

**** new found glory they suck balls ... especially the singer ... god i hate them so much

Every vocalist deserves a few listens before you disregard them. I hated Billy Corgan's voice the first time I heard him sing, and now he's probably my favorite musician.

And Thom Yorke of Radiohead is phenomenal as a singer in my opinion. I can't believe so many people have listed him. Not many singers can convey as much emotion in their voice as he can.

slipknot actually has a pretty good singer IMO.. if you listen to one of their more soft songs.. you'll see :)

Cerpin said:
The Cooper Temple Clause
Pffft. The Coopers are bloody amazing! Ben's voice may sound more than a tad Liam Gallagher-esque on See This Through and Leave but it works perfectly well. And his voice is much stronger sounding and a bit smoother (although not so much so's to ruin the proper sound) on Kick Up The Fire...
Tsk tsk.
Thom Yorke is good also. As is Bellamy (although he'll never be Jeff Buckley, no matter how hard he tries)

Despite what I said about The Coopers and Liam-esque sounds, Oasis would be so much better if Noel was the lead singer.

Dream Theatre (but especially this one)
Your kidding me right?! Dream Theatre has an awesome vocalist. It fits to the music perfectly. What, did you just listen to the start of 'As I Am' or something? Listen to Metropolis or Pull me Under or something. Awesome stuff.

Anyway, bad vocalists that completely ruin the music for me - Nearly all DEATH metal vocalists. You know, the whole groaning business. Children of Bodom - Kissing the Shadows is a good example. I mean how godly is the instrumental work, but how shit is the singer?

Woggy said:
Your kidding me right?! Dream Theatre has an awesome vocalist.

Yup.

Bad^Hat said:
I'll start the ball rolling with a few that I hear regular complaints about, but I happen to love all three, vocals and all :)

:thumbs:

you guys have odd taste in vocals I must say, I think muse's fit the band, and aren't particularly bad at all, and as for radiohead, again, I'd say if anyone else it wouldn't be radiohead really. It'd be totlaly different and for the worse.

Adrien C said:
Fred Durst

Couldn't agree more. His antics have become tired, and it was clear that that one guy (the one who looks like a painting) was the talent behind the band.

There's only one song that I enjoyed by Limp Bizkit, and that's Rearranged. Durst doesn't come off as offensive or annoying, and the message of the song is a good one. But everything else Durst has been a part of has sucked quite badly (aside from that duet song with the guy from Staind; forgot his name, I'm not good with names :p ).

Absinthe said:
I'd have to go with Marylin Manson. It's this constant ****ing raspy groaning followed by a yell. This is then put on repeat about six times.

Marylin Manson is creeping up towards my top spot too. I recently purchased his Greatest Hits album, just out of curiosity for what he's been doing these recent years. I must say that the songs seem to mesh together, but in a bad way. His earlier stuff was fairly good. EVERYONE has heard the Beautiful People by now (perhaps the only significant highlight of his career thus far) but from that point on, his songs begin to lack in quality, mainly because of his voice.

It's too groggy and painful nowadays. It's like he's gotten lazy. In his older work, he had more range in the way he sung. He would go all high-pitched in one part of the song, go really low in another, switch to a creepy voice, or yell his lungs out. Techniques like that are absent from his recent songs. It's mainly him yelling in the same monotone voice, and every song begins to sound like a slight variation from the last one.

Coma White was probably his last decent song (and I only liked it because of the guitar work :O ).

Yup, Jeordie is better off with APC :D

Fred Durst did a 10 second rap in this one Soulfly song I like. Suits the song well. I think it's called Bleed. But yeah, I didn't like much of his stuff in Limp Bizkit. They have a kickin drummer too...

I used to think james labrie was good (singer of dream theater), but the last two years I've started disliking him.. after hearing too much live material where he is very out of key

however, this is most probably not his fault, but technical issues (no feedback on your voice on stage = false singing)

yet, he can too often go over his head with his singing and it always ends up shitty

machinae supremacy's singer can be horrible... when I was really unoccupied with doing stuff I wrote an email to their band explaining how he was no good :D

Back