Nice one Admins

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Few mins ago someone posted a god damn spoiler...which is what it looked like to me. I think i know a litte something now, which has probably spoiled some of the game for me, but then many people here hopefully didnt see if. I just wanted to commend the admins for such a quick move to delete it. I hate this damn threat now :bonce:

- Glenn

I saw it. Nothing terrible, but it's still not good. Nice job admins, it was deleted before I could even finish reporting it.

I read a little of the first sentence before pressing the back button so I think I got a little spoiled for me. But I agree, nice job mods. Keep it up. I really don't get why people do these sorts of things...

I agree. I got ravaged in the buttocks from that spoiler but your quick actions has prevented other people from getting torn a new one. Good job admins :)

no click threads until they have a few replys and no one post in the spoiler threads

Thanks for the kind words.

There's a problem at the moment. There's an IRC virus script going around and basically it executes a script that will force your account to post spoilers.

All we can do right now is hope that people will stop bloody opening suspicious links and have quick actions in bringing the spoilers down before you guys get to see it.

Is there any way you guys (mods) can tell if someone is infected by the virus and posting automatically or if they are the ones actually doing it?

I managed to scramble the words in my head before darting to the 'delete thread' option, luckily. I've already read three spoilers today, I can only hope that they're false... but thanks for the words of encouragement, we do try to make a difference.

To build on what Chris_D said; don't click on any tripod links, heck, just don't touch anything that looks remotely suspicious, as the script's probably travelled further than tripod now.

Ya im happy i wasnt on here when it happend :)

The best way to avoid spoilers is to stay off the forums until you complete HL2 yourself... never underestimate how low certain members of the community can go.

Well ill just stay away frm posts that say spoiler enless people make the post with a title like "hl2 release date" :devil:

Homie said:
Well ill just stay away frm posts that say spoiler enless people make the post with a title like "hl2 release date" :devil:
That's exactly what the script does - it makes the title seem totally unrelated, like talking about CS:S barrel physics (the title for the thread just then) or whatever.

Spoilers shall be banned :)

Update: Hey admins I will always be on a Look out for those posts if i find one i will quickly as possible
let you know its there!! :)

Wow, I'm almost afraid to visit these boards now at the risk of possibly spoiling the game. I've tried very hard up to this point to stay away from them (reminds me of what I did with Knights of the Old Republic- which I must say was amazing thanks to not having the shocking twist spoiled), and I'd just like to say thanks to the moderators who sacrifice their enjoyment for our own! :)

Thank you!

I Love this forum dont let spoilers mess up this forum we will conquer them!!!! :devil: :thumbs:

I'm pretty sure the script won't work if you log yourself out. That should delete the vbulletin cookie with your login info.

If I'm right the page uses the fact that you are still logged in on the forums to (somehow) post directly into the forums. That's what I think the tripod page does anyway, I can't be sure because I don't feel like experimenting with this one :p. It could be something completely different..

Heh I bet that the G-Man is Gordons father, and Alyx is his twin sister :naughty:

jsc1286 said:
I agree. I got ravaged in the buttocks from that spoiler but your quick actions has prevented other people from getting torn a new one. Good job admins :)
ROFL :LOL:

sigged :D

the rolling stones - paint it black

yeah, and i've banned a perosn or two in irc for these links. it's moved onto geocities, and don't clikco n threads about hl2 trivia.

There's no laws about posting spoilers... is there?

You don't realise that there's nothing you can do. Posting spoilers for a game may be immoral but it's not illegal. How do you plan on suing a geoshitties webpage?

You're just feeding them by saying stuff like this

CrazyHarij said:
You don't realise that there's nothing you can do. Posting spoilers for a game may be immoral but it's not illegal. How do you plan on suing a geoshitties webpage?

You're just feeding them by saying stuff like this
Well Geocities has policies against spamming, in fact they ask that you report any websites that spam other people by posting unwanted links. So you can't get them on spoilers but you can shut them down on spamming.

At least thats the way it seems.

I've reported one spoiler. T'was deleted after I reported it.. :p

Do you mods have to read the entire post if it's a spoiler or?

MaxiKana said:
I've reported one spoiler. T'was deleted after I reported it.. :p

Do you mods have to read the entire post if it's a spoiler or?
Probably not, once you read the first few words you see that the message has nothing to do with the topic title. Plus the messages are not unique, they are randomly chosen from a list of already created posts so you can recognize what the format looks like. Its also really easy to know if it has a link to a geocities website.

Yeah, it's easy to tell within the first few words... I just cover the rest up with my hand and dart for the 'Delete Thread' option.

Chris_D said:
There's no laws about posting spoilers... is there?

well, would it be possible to make it part of the site agreement? so anyone who joins has to agree that they won't post unmarked spoilers about anything on hl2.net. so once it's integrated and actually fully part of hl2.net's policy, then you have a leg to stand on.

just my tuppence.

You're doing a great job there moderators, keep it up! Be careful not to spoil the game for yourselfes!
/me hands Chris and Abom a beer. To share. ;) :cheers:

Dedalus said:
well, would it be possible to make it part of the site agreement? so anyone who joins has to agree that they won't post unmarked spoilers about anything on hl2.net. so once it's integrated and actually fully part of hl2.net's policy, then you have a leg to stand on.

just my tuppence.

We have rules against posting spoilers but we can't make up laws on the spot and sue them for it :p

Abom said:
Yeah, it's easy to tell within the first few words... I just cover the rest up with my hand and dart for the 'Delete Thread' option.
I've developed a 'blank out words' method involving just my eyes and steady practice ;)

No of course its not illegal to post spoilers but only Rude Jerks do that like spoiling fun for us good gamers!! :) :rolling:

Listen here dude, if you don't like it here just stick in your-

Oh, you like the mods....uhhh GJ mods!

Let's hope the spoiler attack doesn't become as big as the lamers try and make it look like.

Man, Chris_D just got that hack thing. I think I was the only one that saw it. Nice one, though. I couldn't even click on the report post button before it was gone.

Wow. Some major spoilers just came up on the Half-Life 2 discussion board. Looks like Chris_D and Tredoslop were hijacked. I was exposed.

EDIT: Beaten to it. :p

Chris_D is getting hit HARD! OMG!
Be very careful in the Half-Life 2 forum.
Now, it's reaching the Site Discussion forum. WATCH OUT!

I JUST GOT THE ENDING OF THE GAME SPOILED FOR ME AND TRUST ME U GUYS ARE IN FOR A BIG SUPRISE. well at least it was deleted right after i saw it.

Darkknighttt said:
I JUST GOT THE ENDING OF THE GAME SPOILED FOR ME AND TRUST ME U GUYS ARE IN FOR A BIG SUPRISE. well at least it was deleted right after i saw it.

i think i half saw it too... i clicked 'report' before i saw anything too major. im such a fool. ;(

Back