Nihilanth Speaking

I opened the model and for the firing animation and the cuffs don't actually touch the collar.

wow, this is some pretty scary stuff. It seems pretty obvious that the Nihilanth was engineered in some way. Perhaps by the G-Man's people?

Personally my belief is that the Nihilanth some how broke free of its controlling power and escaped to the Border World. The Nihilanth was obviously very powerful with its ability to open portals to other dimensions, meaning the G-Man couldn't exactly let it go on living. So he kind of just lead Freeman along and got him to do his dirty work, which was to kill the Nihilanth. Hence why the Nihilanth tells Freeman he's being lied to.

We can assume that Freeman thinks it was the Nihilanth who started the war, but several points in the game hint towards it being started by humans. I also think the G-Man is in league with the Combine, and he needed the Nihilanth dead before the Combine forces could invade.

Eejit said:
I opened the model and for the firing animation and the cuffs don't actually touch the collar.

Oops. My bad. I edited the model some time ago and warped the animations. Changed it back now and your right. :E

mortiz said:
wow, this is some pretty scary stuff. It seems pretty obvious that the Nihilanth was engineered in some way. Perhaps by the G-Man's people?

Personally my belief is that the Nihilanth some how broke free of its controlling power and escaped to the Border World. The Nihilanth was obviously very powerful with its ability to open portals to other dimensions, meaning the G-Man couldn't exactly let it go on living. So he kind of just lead Freeman along and got him to do his dirty work, which was to kill the Nihilanth. Hence why the Nihilanth tells Freeman he's being lied to.

We can assume that Freeman thinks it was the Nihilanth who started the war, but several points in the game hint towards it being started by humans. I also think the G-Man is in league with the Combine, and he needed the Nihilanth dead before the Combine forces could invade.

That sir is a pretty damn good theory , it fits well into nearly every event in the game.

Perhaps the first missions to Xen really were recon and research missions , however when they began to bring things back the Gman and company decided to do engineering of their own.

Also the reason why the "Border World" is called the "Border World" might have something to do with it being on the border between our dimension and the Combine's, and an infinite more probably. Which explains why the Nihilanth would need to be killed.

Also, if this is the case then it's likely that Nihilanth was created by the Combine as a way to open portal's to Earth and send their forces through. But they probably couldn't control it and it escaped. i.e. The 'We are Slaves' bit.

i think the combine are basicly just human police, i dont see anything alien at all...

why do people just assume that they are aliean?

I agree with Dimitri, that does fit very well.
Nihilanth probably had to be on the lam for a while though, since he had such huge forces and a big factory under his control.

And people assume that the combine are alien because they are wearing masks constantly, and use what looks like alien technology (strider/gunship).

And the fact that in the 2003 E3 video Gabe (or whoever is narrating) says, and I quote,
"In this last sequence you'll get a look at the citadel at the centre of the alien combine. The combine is a fortress which is slowly eating its way through the rest of City 17"

mortiz said:

For the Nihilanth being good, see post #27 in this thread.

It doesn't seem likely to me, though I liked that type of theory before finding that out.

Eejit said:
For the Nihilanth being good, see post #27 in this thread.

It doesn't seem likely to me, though I liked that type of theory before finding that out.

I think the meaning of the word Nihilanth with relation to Nihilithist (one who has no belief, or purpose, but to possibly destroy) actually backs up my idea about him being created by the Combine for the sole purpose of opening portal's to Earth, and therefore indirectly resulting in million's of possible deaths.

Though of course this is all speculation, and I have no doubt VALVe will throw something up in HL-2 that will just take us all completely by suprise.

Also from what we've seen of the Combine they seem to be a very technological race, which could explain all the metal spikes coming out of the Nihilanth's butt.

I always thought the metal spike things could be some sort of anti-gravity technology, which is how he floats.
Sure the controllers don't seem to need them, but then they don't look like they've been chopped to pieces and sewn back together at some stage.

The combine are human but they ar like modified in some way, like somebody chopped them up and put machine parts in some areas or maybe they are grown that way?

Qriginally posted by Machagodzilla:
And people assume that the combine are alien because they are wearing masks constantly, and use what looks like alien technology (strider/gunship).

OH MY GOD !!!!!!! NO the combine soldiers are NO aliens man !!! they look like humans they move like humans they behave like humans and they have red blood . . . . .
give me one reason to kill ya and i'll do it !!! >(
ah and dont you think that humans could built things like striders in near future ? this stuff looks pretty humanity !!
and if gabe newell confirmed that the combines are no humans it doesnt really mean that they are aliens . . just think of it! ah and they are no robotic army (red blood) !

man you must be dumb . . thats really crappy ! if humans could build such a monster they wouldnt need gordon to destroy it , dont you think eh ?
and dont tell me now that the combine soldiers built nihilanth . . . . . man you are all wrong with your theories you will see !

well let nihilanth be nihilanth, and if he has metal spikes growing out of his ass well so be it ! but it doesnt play any role in the story, maybe its how he can fly with such a huge body or how he creates those teleporters or maybe its some sort of antennas to control our minds ;)

sorry for my bad english guys, but im still working on it :D

aaaah . . can anyone tell me where i can find these nihilanth sounds ? i searched for them in my h-l folder and also in the steam folder but couldnt find them :(

or can someone send them to me ? :D

eber:

1. Calm down.
2. I personally think that the Striders and the Gunships (Not to mention those weird-looking Dropships, only seen in concept form so far) look very alien, and not very "humanity" at all...
3. One of the voiceovers in the videos (non-bink) refers to the "Alien Combine".
4. If they did build the Nihilanth as a one-off (Lack of resources to build another?), and it got out control, they might require its termination, maybe by someone who proved capable enough to be assigned the job. Not saying they did, but it's a possibility... Just don't insult other people's theories, please, at least not the more reasonable ones.

And the sounds come from the .pak files in the original version (Use a program called PAK Explorer). Not sure what to do in the Steam version.

eber said:
Originally Posted by mortiz:

man you must be dumb . . thats really crappy ! if humans could build such a monster they wouldnt need gordon to destroy it , dont you think eh ?
and dont tell me now that the combine soldiers built nihilanth . . . . . man you are all wrong with your theories you will see !

well let nihilanth be nihilanth, and if he has metal spikes growing out of his ass well so be it ! but it doesnt play any role in the story, maybe its how he can fly with such a huge body or how he creates those teleporters or maybe its some sort of antennas to control our minds ;)

sorry for my bad english guys, but im still working on it :D

Wow, you do realise that just because the Combine soldiers look Human it doesn't mean the whole of the Combine are human? It could be that the Combine are a technological race made up of hundreds of different species (a bit like the Borg) and when they invade the a planet the way they conquer it is to turn it's own people against it?

That also fits in with the Nihilanth's appearance. The Combine simply could have 'engineered' him like they've done to humans in HL-2.

aha maybe they are made up of hundreds of diffrent species , but i cant see any influence of other species . hmm but i got my own theory now maybe the combines are dressed up gargantulas trying to keep themself hidden !

hmm and to nihilanth . . . yes they could have engeneered him , but they also could have baked some eggs and bacon for breakfast dont you think eh ? :naughty:

I'm beginning to think that I should be ignoring everything you say, eber...

Perhaps the Nihilanth was an unwilling slave to another species, a slave who couldn't work against his masters directly, but was trying to prepare a way for his people to break free of his/his masters' control.

Maybe he made a bargain with the G-Man, in return for something (Pure crystal?).

Maybe the deal soured (G-Man betrayed him?), and the G-Man tried to use the crystal to launch an invasion, which then forced the Nihilanth's hand... err... claw.

Due to the G-man's Ace-Up-The-Sleeve (Freeman), the Nihilanth's last desparate bid to free his species failed (Or at least he thought it did, remember, the Vorts seem to be free in HL2), and the G-man and his bosses gained control of Xen.

Now, how's that for off-the-wall speculation?

Originally Posted by mortiz Originally Posted by mortiz
wow, this is some pretty scary stuff. It seems pretty obvious that the Nihilanth was engineered in some way. Perhaps by the G-Man's people
For some reason I still believe the G-man didn't plan any of the events on Black Mesa, in fact I think he may have been trying to stop it (not out of the good in his heart, he probably had a personal agenda) and when things went haywire, he may have manipulated Freeman to put an end to it. Or maybe Freeman did kill Nihilianth without an involvement from G-man but he was impressed and now he uses him for whatever purpose in HL2. I'm positive G-man is not the bad guy, though he's defniately not the good guy...
As for Nilly, I'm not sure. Maybe he was a mutant created by BMRF experiments or some teleportation accident from BM. Maybe he just is a superior being in Xen and there are many of him, maybe he is a god there and that's why Xen is in a civil war now.

BTW, could someone gimme a link to PAK Explorer for WinXP?

Aliens and Combine work together, 3 letters D-U and todays letter H

Maybe Nih is just a alien that is F'in huge that you have to kill? or is that too simple for any HL fan to leave at.

Yeah, I mean they didn't really put any effort into the rest of the game, I guess they just thought '****it lets make a big bitch you have to shoot at the end, just for shits & giggles'

originally posted by brian damage:
Perhaps the Nihilanth was an unwilling slave to another species, a slave who couldn't work against his masters directly, but was trying to prepare a way for his people to break free of his/his masters' control.

Maybe he made a bargain with the G-Man, in return for something (Pure crystal?).

Maybe the deal soured (G-Man betrayed him?), and the G-Man tried to use the crystal to launch an invasion, which then forced the Nihilanth's hand... err... claw.

Due to the G-man's Ace-Up-The-Sleeve (Freeman), the Nihilanth's last desparate bid to free his species failed (Or at least he thought it did, remember, the Vorts seem to be free in HL2), and the G-man and his bosses gained control of Xen.

Now, how's that for off-the-wall speculation?

hmm nice plot , sounds interesting to me really!! but why do you think the g-man took care about this ??

Not sure what you mean by "took care". If you mean "cared", then I'd say it's because he's a member of some big megasecret government department concerned with weird crap, and they decided it'd be nice to be in control of the place that seems to be the focus of all teleportation...

Or something like that...

I never got around to paying too much attention to the things going on around the nihilanth. This all is very intresting though. leave it up to valve to leave in a few things in the first game to set up the sequel.

TriggerHappy said:
I feel the same way. I'm not assuming that anything from the Gearbox expansions happened in the Half-Life 2 storyline.

Maybe they did, but I didn't feel like they kept the same consistency as the original game, and I didn't like Race-X.

What is this Decay you guys are talking about? Am i missing a hlmod or game?

I think HL: Decay was the Playstation version of Half-Life

Mechagodzilla said:
It's a co-op expansion that comes with HL for PS2.

I cry, i cry. Damn co-op would be great for hl,hl2. People need to make more co-op games. Anyone know of any fps co-op games?

Judge Dredd: Dredd vs death....but thats not out in the US yet....

Dalamari said:
Aliens and Combine work together, 3 letters D-U and todays letter H
How did you figure that one? You can see from the videos E3 '03 and '04 that there are Combine soldiers killing aliens, and vice versa.

AJ Rimmer said:
I'm positive G-man is not the bad guy, though he's defniately not the good guy...
Agreed.
But as for Nilly (how quaint:)) being engineered at BMRF, I really don't think so. If it were, it wouldn't explain why the other aliens were as obediant to it as they were. And what did you mean by a civil war on Xen?

Lanthanide said:
And the fact that in the 2003 E3 video Gabe (or whoever is narrating) says, and I quote,
"In this last sequence you'll get a look at the citadel at the centre of the alien combine. The combine is a fortress which is slowly eating its way through the rest of City 17"

in the strider video the barricades move forward. really strange...

this game is so intricate and detailed and awesome, i'm going to poo myself

i think that i nthe strider video when the citedel moves in its supposted to show that the combine is eating away at the city, thats my theory

Back