No Team Fortress 2 Updates Until Next Year

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Yup, Valve are not planning on releasing any new class update for Team Fortress 2 this year, marketing VP Doug Lombardi has informed Shacknews.

Well, it won't be this year," said Lombardi when asked about the next update. "But we're going to keep evolving TF2. Once Left 4 Dead wraps, you'll hear us clamoring more about [Team Fortress 2].

Lombardi partially attributed the prolonged wait to the impending release of Left 4 Dead, which saw contributions from numerous Team Fortress 2 team members as development of Left 4 Dead entered the final stages.[br] Oh well, I'm sure Left 4 Dead gonna keep us busy for a long long time.

Like I said before, there better be more than one update. Left 4 Dead will hold me over till then, I guess.

I was expecting this. With so many projects being worked on and Valve constant support for older games they just have to put some stuff on hold.

So.. I'm guessing 2010 is when we will finally have all the unlocks?

I only keep going back to TF2 'cause of the hope something new is going to be chucked into the mix to keep it fresh and intresting. It's understandable why they are doing this but they sure better make the next update have at least 2 class's!

Lol "ALL UNLOCKS ARE RELEASED JAN 1 2009"

if only.

On the one hand it's only 2 and a half months (+ adjustments for Valve time), on the other hand I might not be playing L4D since I'll need a system upgrade for it and right now I'd prefer an HD TV than upgrade for a lot of games that might not live up to expectation (L4D, Fallout 3, etc.).

I already found myself switching off from TF2 early yesterday out of boredom for the first time in many months (the fact I still can't find a half full server playing vanilla TF2 on all the default maps doesn't help). Every time I've done this previously, a new map or new class update has been released.

Ah well. Hopefully the fact they've pulled everyone off their most popular recent multiplayer title will lead to L4D really living up to expectation.

Poor Psy, I hope he's handling this well

Wow, all of you guys that only play TF2 for new unlocks are gonna be damn bored when they're done adding new content to the classes.
Better get used to it. ;)

I still play TF2 as much as I did at release, while the updates are great and give me new stuff to focus on, this wont keep me from enjoying it with my friends this year, but then like any multiplayer game you either stick with it or you dont.

TF2 is awesome as is. I'm not concerned about this. Once Left 4 Dead is out the way EP3 should be Valve's main priority surely?

Poor Psy, I hope he's handling this well

Haha! I'm not surprised really considering that L4D is the only game they're releasing this year and it's their only guaranteed way of gaining a huge increase in moolahs.

Still, I'm slightly disappointed. :'(

Meh, TF2 isn't very good anyways, CS:Source is a million times better and way more competitive.

EDIT: They should be worrying about fixing the bugs in CS:Source because that's the most competitive game they've ever released. Everyone knows that the only reason you would ever play a multiplayer game is to become a pro gamer (i.e. The CGS). They should fix the kit bug you kits don't stop you from defusing, they should fix quickscoping so you can quickscope like you used to, and they should fix the hitboxes or do something so the registry is better.

People say that TF2 is a competitive game, but really, even CEVO thinks it's a bit of a joke.

Well, shit. Hey guys, MacBowes has spoken. We'd all better give up TF2 and head on over to CS:S.

You want to be the sniper nub, or shall I take that responsibility?

Everyone knows that the only reason you would ever play a multiplayer game is to become a pro gamer

Damn! So we're still doing it wrong! GUYS! We need to stop playing for fun RIGHT NOW! Get competitive! UPGRADE TO PRO NOW!

I just hope we at least get another "Meet The" video before the year is out.

And then a dual class update in January. Yeah.

Damn! So we're still doing it wrong! GUYS! We need to stop playing for fun RIGHT NOW! Get competitive! UPGRADE TO PRO NOW!
You passed that point of no return decades ago.

Go have some fun, oldie. Let the grownups rule the pro scene.

Meh, TF2 isn't very good anyways, CS:Source is a million times better and way more competitive.
Thank god games aren't designed to be fun and are purely virtual sports. TF2 sucks because it's just cartoony and gay right?

Seriously, keep playing CSS and stay away from TF2 because it's players like yourself not playing TF2 that makes it even more superb.

Oh well just gonna play tons of Left 4 Dead and keep going back to Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike Source!

MacBowes should not be taken seriously. CS 1.6 is rated way higher than CSS for competition, so I don't really know what he's talking about.

Plus TF2 is actually pretty good for competition, with some modifications.

Wow, all of you guys that only play TF2 for new unlocks are gonna be damn bored when they're done adding new content to the classes.
Better get used to it. ;)
The maps are what give the added playability. For instance, I just got the Axtinguisher yesterday, I don't really care if it's a class I don't use.

Well, its a bummer to hear, but Valves gotta do what Valves gotta do. Besides a large base of TF2 players that I play with regularly are excited and plan on playing L4D so assuming L4D needs as many updates the first couple of months after release that TF2 received, then Valve is making the right decision.

In the end, I play other games but keep coming back to TF2. Its a good game. I can wait for more unlocks.

I'm still waiting for some sort of Half-life 2 updates either Graphical or Achievements.... :(

One day... One day.

Glad we agree!

Thank god games aren't designed to be fun and are purely virtual sports. TF2 sucks because it's just cartoony and gay right?

Seriously, keep playing CSS and stay away from TF2 because it's players like yourself not playing TF2 that makes it even more superb.

#1. TF2 doesn't suck, just saying that games multiplayer games that are competitive are inherently better, i.e. CS:S, 1.6, or Starcraft, to name a few.

#2. The reason you want me to not play TF2 is so that I won't dominate all the baddie's and make them ragequit? Makes sense :)

MacBowes should not be taken seriously. CS 1.6 is rated way higher than CSS for competition, so I don't really know what he's talking about.

Plus TF2 is actually pretty good for competition, with some modifications.

The maps are what give the added playability. For instance, I just got the Axtinguisher yesterday, I don't really care if it's a class I don't use.

1.6 is in no way rated higher for competition than Source.

#1. 1.6 is an old game and most of the professional 1.6 teams now play Source.
#2. Source is one of 5 games in the first professional gaming league (The CGS).
#3. TF2 has decent competition, but most of the teams that are CEVOp for TF2 are teams (or organizations) whose main focus is CS:Source.

Simply put, CS:Source is a better game than TF2. I'm curious as to why you would play game just for fun when you can play a game and participate in a league. Yes, I see the many flaws in my reasoning, but I just think that if you're going to play a video game, you should be a super-nerd like myself and make your life aspirations revolve around going CEVOp.

You can't say that a game is superior to another when they are vastly different.

Back