NPC conversations

G

Go Go Codgo

I don't know if this a been threaded before but will NPC's like the resistance guys have conversations like the ones in the original HL when they wasn't doing anything, it did work ok-ish in the first one but i could sound a little wierd sometimes.

don't know for sure but i'd assume they do, look at this yrs E3 video, mostly the apartment sequence , the npc's appear to have a conversation.

That was scripted, but im sure they say things when idle like the first one, they will prolly fit more to the scene so that the opfor modics don't say "That sniper school sure came in handy" when you go away for a lil, with the improved AI and such the random things they say should make more sense.

Sure hope so. I've said it before: I love little non-combat scenes that really aren't important to the story coz it really fixes the mood.

It'll probably come out strange and forced, but they'll probably say things like in op4. Example:
Marine 1: This whole operation is out of control!
Marine 2: Uh... roger that.

Yeah me too...but I hope NPCs have a massive library to choose from and whatever they say is context/scene sensitive.

yeah I overheard a few of them, some were rather amusing. the NOLF games took this idea to the top though. I swear, I'd love to just sit there and listen to their long and funny convos before I nailed them. I'd even reload a save to make sure I heard them in case i killed them before they spoke. It really does add to the atmosphere and sucks you into the fictional world you're playing. I'd love to see it in HL2, but if the list of voice actors that they've released is the total list, we shouldn't count on it because there are so few.

Well Chadda, context/scene sensitivity is a rare commodity! It'd be great if they added it, but it would be a LOT of work. Unless the context didn't rely on a specific area, but a situation like combat, scouting, etc.

But isn't it wonderful in MP2 when you hear one of the cleaners say:
"You know what this is? The finale, the showdown before the credits role"
or:
"What about moving?
What about it, you put one foot in front of the other.
No no, I mean moving out, from her.
It's not that easy." etc.

Ahh who can forget "So do you still say theres nothing to chaos theory?"
Wonder if Fr. Gregory will start praying under his breath before he takes a shot,like the Saving Private Ryan Sniper?Or maybe the comedy stylings of the Voltigaunts.

EDIT:MP2?

Voodoo_Chile said:
Ahh who can forget "So do you still say theres nothing to chaos theory?"
Wonder if Fr. Gregory will start praying under his breath before he takes a shot,like the Saving Private Ryan Sniper?Or maybe the comedy stylings of the Voltigaunts.

EDIT:MP2?
Max Payne two. The third game will have the best abreviation ever.

I hope Grigori ends up being another Private Jackson. It wouldn't be too shabby of an idea.

Chadda said:
Yeah me too...but I hope NPCs have a massive library to choose from and whatever they say is context/scene sensitive.

I want the game to come to a bloody-firey-bluish death whenever you press 'e' on someone.

best conversation ever, was in Wheel of Time, the Children of Light...

"I hear one of the prisoners escaped"
"Well, if anyone attacks me, I'll be like, HURRR!, and ARRRRGH!, and I'd kill the guy!"

NPC's had rather funny convo's in Jedi Outcast :p

Six Three said:
NPC's had rather funny convo's in Jedi Outcast :p
too true. I play through this game about as much as HL (a lot) and there are some good ones. like talking about TIE specs, killing wild animals, comparing laser carbines etc...

I like the one where you hear the convo in desann's base before you get on the ship where they talk about one of the troopers who was on a ship during a fight.

Best NPC conversation ever was in Red Faction 2 on the first mission. You're sneaking around through some ducts when you come to the exit and 2 guards are talking. Guard 1 is like "Umm... hey man can I ask you a question?" then "Yeah sure man, what?" "Umm... can I borrow some money?" "Yeah sure man, how much?" "20 grand...." and then guard 2 walks off, guard 1 shouts "Hey! Can I at least get a ride back to base!" Thats prolly completely wrong for the quote, but its hilarious. Horrible game funny quote.

dugly said:
red faction 2 owns

...the bargain bin.

I'm sure the NPCs have a decently varied idle conversation to go around. If they can yell "Strider!", run around with decent AI and make use of team based tactics...I would hope they talk with eachother. Since it happened in HL1 with the basic pre-event/post-event conversations I'd guess there'd be event sensitive stuff.

[also the fact that you get the guys in the apartment and the "I didn't know we still had a door" and "don't drink the water" [the water quote might have a point in the story, but the door one is completely atmospheric - since I doubt the existence of a door has a big part in the plot] speech going on might provide good evidence that decent idle chat will be around]

Back