Object damage?

barnacle

Reaction score
Will metal barrels, paints cans, metal buckets, ect. get dented on impact with a cement wall after launched from the manipulator. Will wooden crates shatter and the pieces disapear or will it break according to how it hits the wall.
If a barrel is rolling fast can it hurt you? or kill you?If you have ever played farcry you should know that a barrel rolling down a slight hill will kill you immediatly I hope HL2 isn't that way.

metal wont distort, but in the videoswe see the wood is damaged.

Like everything else, I wouldn't be surprised if you could mod in destructible metal.

Oh, and in FC I think the barrels were just really heavy.

I remember in the Buzzsaw bink movie... tunnels was it??? It displayed metal distortion to an extent, my guess its up to the level designer which metal can be distorted and which are just static props. I dont believe Paint cans dent tho, I think they just explode (E3 2004 video).

In the barricade bink, when the combine shoots the wall, a rather large chunk of concrete falls of from the wall at a 90 degree angle, near barney.

aww man, i hope some of the walls are destructable. just carve a path, you know :D

Geno said:
aww man, i hope some of the walls are destructable. just carve a path, you know :D

Well, in the barricade video - the environment looked pretty destructible. Not literally blowing apart whole walls, but decals and pretty big chunks of conrete falling of from the wall when shot, Red Faction-esque.

they do dent but only the barrels and the crates shatter depending on the velocity and angle. and no the piece remain in the world. i think they said tht to keep the player more involved in the experience they will make sure nothng will fade and all things will remain in the world even gun shells

B-MAn said:
they do dent but only the barrels and the crates shatter depending on the velocity and angle. and no the piece remain in the world. i think they said tht to keep the player more involved in the experience they will make sure nothng will fade and all things will remain in the world even gun shells

I'm pretty sure there are no deformable models like barrels denting, and I believe that was backed up by an email.

From what I've heard about the stolen build, barrels in it do deform if they're whacked around quite a bit.

This can sort of be backed up by the E3 traptown vid. Though you don't see the barrels before they've taken a beating, when you do see them they are a bit deformed and stuff.

If I remember right I think Valve said that wood would splinter off realistically (duh) and the splinters would not disappear. I think it'd be kinda cool if mass was conserved.

I would take a fence from metal wires and shoot it at the combine with a manipulator . Awww... what a cute combine ... which end is up ?
Huh , huh reminds me of Final Destination 2 .

Call me crazy but I thought there was an interview with gabe or doug about this. And they were saying they weren't putting it in, although it's possible to do, because they would have to create seperate models with the different extents of the dinted barrel for it to deform on impact.

I don't remeber which vid it was but I do recal seeing gordon either through or shoot a barrel the had a dent in it afterwards.

They are not able to be deformed by the physics system, although a "damaged" model can replace the standard one on-the-fly. It would be prerendered though, kind of like the damage on cars in racing games.

Thin metal scraps are sort of destrucable. In the trapdown vid when gordon is on top of the vid and the combine shoot him, the thin sheets of metals bend and fall apart.

Maui said:
They are not able to be deformed by the physics system, although a "damaged" model can replace the standard one on-the-fly. It would be prerendered though, kind of like the damage on cars in racing games.
Yeah, Maui is right. Gabe said in an e-mail or an interview that metal doesnt deform, but if you bang up models, they can be replaced with diffrent deformed ones.

So a perfectly new barrel can be made into a piece of shit just not realistically deform?

Cyber$nake said:
Thin metal scraps are sort of destrucable. In the trapdown vid when gordon is on top of the vid and the combine shoot him, the thin sheets of metals bend and fall apart.
i just hope that wasnt specially staged

And to the one wondering about moving things hurting you (Hopefully not answered yet, I'm a tricky reader): In the Valve Info Thread, Gabe ( I think) said that barrels and stuff hurt/ kill depending on their size and speed. So no instant-kill boxes or anything.

Yes. Definitely read in the Valve only thread that the objects will hurt you depending on the size, weight and velocity that it strikes you. cba to search the thread though. :D

Gabe said that barrels and stuff etc. and blablablalblba deforming on impact would require special logic. He also stated that Source currently didn't support that. That was a while ago though.

Lame...just lame. I have been listening to this kind of boring junk since before september.

Barnacle who is that in ur Avatar ?

Any way on topic.....metals could dent quite easily if thrown at something, althought i dont know how this wuld look lol, it might look taky

Back