Official Overclocking Thread- ALL questions go HERE

Shouldn't be an issue. I know my 6800GT runs at 350Mhz/1Ghz by default when in 2D

overclocking my 3500+ winchester

ok my cpu is idling at about 45* C and running at 2210 MHz, i was wondering if i could sinply use msi's "core center" utility to over clock it, and what the max those can usually overclock to with stock cooling? does my temp. seem normal right now or not? Also how big of increment should i increase by?
What cpu cooler would you guys suggest for my specs. also, preffered to be $50 or under.

I know alot of this stuff is written down in the beggining but i just wanted it confirmed and restated, i really don't want to screw up my cpu its my pride of my computer. The overclock will need to be stable for heavy gaming like hl2, bf2, ect..
Thanks for the help. :cheers:

Well you can use MSI's core center but the OC won't stick. It's not like you OCed in bios or anything. It is a good way to find a stable OC without a bunch of reboots.

Just don't increase the voltage just yet. That's a last ditch effort to get it higher and stable. That's if you don't want to kill your CPU. Try it on the stock heatsink first. I'd let it get up to about 55C before you should slow down on the OCing.

After you get into OCing more then think about heatsink and fan solutions for better cooling. Always stress test your CPU either by playing games or running tests after you OC. Don't just keep increasing and increasing it til it crashes. Just because it is stable now doesn't mean it will stay that way. That's why you have to test it with stressful apps.

Get to know where your CMOS reset jumper is. You'll be using it if you OC in the Bios. Also if there is a way to lock the AGP/PCI MHz then set it to 66Mhz/33MHz (instead of AUTO).

Asus said:
Well you can use MSI's core center but the OC won't stick. It's not like you OCed in bios or anything. It is a good way to find a stable OC without a bunch of reboots.

Just don't increase the voltage just yet. That's a last ditch effort to get it higher and stable. That's if you don't want to kill your CPU. Try it on the stock heatsink first. I'd let it get up to about 55C before you should slow down on the OCing.

After you get into OCing more then think about heatsink and fan solutions for better cooling. Always stress test your CPU either by playing games or running tests after you OC. Don't just keep increasing and increasing it til it crashes. Just because it is stable now doesn't mean it will stay that way. That's why you have to test it with stressful apps.

Get to know where your CMOS reset jumper is. You'll be using it if you OC in the Bios. Also if there is a way to lock the AGP/PCI MHz then set it to 66Mhz/33MHz (instead of AUTO).

hmm... don't really know what you mean by cmos reset jumper...

Look in your manual for your motherboard. It's a jumper or set of pins that when shorted they will clear your settings in the Bios. If you OC from the Bios and it does not boot then you will need to reset the settings back to default via the CMOS Jumper.

There are 3 pins and a jumper that covers 2 pins. Example, if it's on pins 1 and 2 then it might do nothing. If you put it on pins 2 and 3 then it will reset the Bios. You don't leave it there though. Just to short the pins.

Asus said:
Look in your manual for your motherboard. It's a jumper or set of pins that when shorted they will clear your settings in the Bios. If you OC from the Bios and it does not boot then you will need to reset the settings back to default via the CMOS Jumper.

There are 3 pins and a jumper that covers 2 pins. Example, if it's on pins 1 and 2 then it might do nothing. If you put it on pins 2 and 3 then it will reset the Bios. You don't leave it there though. Just to short the pins.
ok, i was able to overclock it to 2362mhz and it idles at around 45 still but if it goes a little over 55 then that is real bad or should i just leave it, cause it's getting to 52 after i play css just a little bit, is this bad does mine run hotter than most peoples or what?
i overclocked it in the core center and everything seems stable can i just overclock it all the way to those mhz in the bios first try or should i still bring it up slowly? also the temperature seems a little jumpy at times i dunno if it's suposed to be jumping around that much...
So have both master jumper and cmos jumper set at the same time, and after the overclock is done take off the cmos jumper?

Dont mess with the Cmos jumper unless you mess up and it freezes. It's just a way to get your PC back booting correctly.

I wouldn't go quite that far OCing without testing first. Maybe to 2.2GHz. You are fine on temps. Over 60C is about when it's 'too hot'. Your machine will probably auto shut off at around 70C.

Asus said:
Dont mess with the Cmos jumper unless you mess up and it freezes. It's just a way to get your PC back booting correctly.

I wouldn't go quite that far OCing without testing first. Maybe to 2.2GHz. You are fine on temps. Over 60C is about when it's 'too hot'. Your machine will probably auto shut off at around 70C.
mine is 2.2ghz stock. when i oc'd it it idled around 43 and the only thing that i was kinda worried about was the temps when from there to 50 pretty fast i didn't know if it would go much further...if i could get to 2.4ghz i would be really happy but i know that 2.3 is really stable i just don't know how far temperatures usually rise and what my cpu non-oc'd idle temps are and under load temps are... does anyone know? and is 200mhz worth o.c.ing if it really cuts down on the cpu's life?

Thanks for all the help thusfar. :cheers:

Should be fine on the CPU's life, as long as it's stable and the voltage isn't raised much. 200MHz can help a bit, especially in HL2 and games like that.

Asus said:
Should be fine on the CPU's life, as long as it's stable and the voltage isn't raised much. 200MHz can help a bit, especially in HL2 and games like that.
how big of increments should i up the fsb by while o.c.ing in the system bios even though i know where it's stable at about 200mhz?

I'm guessing 2200Mhz (2.2GHz) = 11x 200Mhz.
So if you put the FSB up to 210 then that would be (11x210) 2.3GHz.
220 FSB would be 2.4GHz.

Asus said:
I'm guessing 2200Mhz (2.2GHz) = 11x 200Mhz.
So if you put the FSB up to 210 then that would be (11x210) 2.3GHz.
220 FSB would be 2.4GHz.
ok, but how big of increments should i do when i'm overclocking or should i do the whole 20 fsb at once?
oh, ok i just tried to o.c. in the by 3 fsb at a time and i saved and exited, and when it booted it said started in safe mode please reset the o.c. changes made and reboot so i did and everything is ok, but was that bad, all i know is that is was kinda scary...

Quick question: how much does leaving my case open cool the components inside?

actually it makes them get hotter because the air doesnt circulate anymore

I have an Althon 2600+ and my CPU temp is about 57-58C (full load) at the stock speed.

Highest I risked taking it was 2200mhz core (from 2083). It was stable, but load temp. peaked at 60C which is not very healthy for the processor, so I have put it back at default while I get some cooling going.

I've ordered some case fans but can anyone recommend a good processor heatsink/fan (for 'good' read 'cheap')? I have never replaced a HS/F (apart from on a gfx card), so how hard is it?

This heatsink looks v. good for the price, and you can purchase and 80 mm fan you wish to go on it:

The HSF: http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_alx800.htm

Site with price: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Thermalright_120.html

Fitting a heatsink is pretty easy, especially with socket A, and a heatsink which will clip into the standard retention mechanism. You just take the old one off, clean the CPU, apply thermal material, artic silver 5 or something similiar, and attach new cooler. And by the way, 60 degrees C is not that bad, towards 70 i would worry, but around the 60 mark is hardly disturbing.

Hope this is of some use

Yeah, Thermalright heatsinks are generally the best for your money considering they cool well with a low noise fan and excelent with a high CFM fan. The XP120 is awesome although you have to check if it will fit your board. There is a listing on their site.

Here's a good Thermalright that isn't as big. for $39.99
Then you would choose your own fan. A 120mm fan for the XP-120 and a 92mm fan for this one.

Here's a Thermaltake. They don't cool as good as the thermalrights with a good fan but they are simple to install.

FYI good Case fans are the Thermaltake Smart Fans. You can adjust their speed and they move a lot of air...although that might make them loud. ;)

I like the thermalright HSF. Currently have no cash though so it will have to wait. I'll see what kind of effect I get with my new case fans.

Asus, thats a nice fan. The only problem is that i'm in England and I am exceptionally tight-fisted.

My case fans cost me the hefty sum of...... 50p from eBuyer. 50p!! If I spent a tenner on them I could make my computer hover. :)

I wanted to know how high I should OC using Rivaturner.
I don't want to have to read through this whole thread to find out how high I can OC with my system. I just recently decided to try it.

All I know about my comp is I got:
P4 2.8 ghz 800 mhz fsb
1.5 gb of ram
PNY GeForce 6800GT

any other vital info required to estimate how high I can OC, ask me.

Default 350/1000

I tried 385/1070 and tested css. it ran at a faster FPS. when it would usually be 80+ it would go to 100+

how much more can I go?

BTW I dont know what I have in terms of a coolant system.

well ive got my Leadtek 6800gt @ 400/1100 with no problems at all and only 1C temp increase both idle and under load, but it has a great big heatsink which is really effective (came with it). My guess is that if your case temps aren't too high you should be able to do the same- just up the speeds and run 3d mark a few times over, then check your temps.

You've got a 6800GT so the temp should be listed under the Nvidia control panel, tab named 6800GT and under Temperature Settings.

it was around 70c

now I had my OC on 385/1070 like I said before. and I ran css again and all of a sudden it started to flicker these staticy colered bars across my screen going in different directions. no artifacts or glitches in the game, just like it was from the monitor. but it only did it in game. im gonna try different games to see if it does it.

edit: nevermind seems to have stopped.

If it is on and off (glitching when under load), it could be a sign of instability.
My temps went from (stock) 45C-51C under load to (o'clocked) 47C-52C, so hardly any change whatsoever.
Sounds like if you want to go further Devil it might be worth shelling out 30 bucks and getting an aftermarket heat sink and fan- like the Arctic Silencer 5 or something. Your temps will probably be lower after installing that than what you have at stock now.

70C is a pretty high temp for anything in your case, and the glitching is definately a sign of an unstable overclock. What program are you using to OC? You may need more cooling. I have an Artic 4 and its brilliant on my 9800pro. Quiet, cheap, and it cools great.

Speaking of cooling, my case fans arrived today and I installed them (one sucking, one blowing). My processor temp has dropped from 57-58C to 53C (full load), a drop of 4-5C for the cost of £1! The downside is they're a little noisy, but my new £1.99 headphones with mic will soon muffle it. Gotta love eBuyer for ultra-cheap components! Highly recommended!

My 6800GT is at 86C right now as I type this (playing WoW). It's also a bit warm in here but generally it's 80's on load, 50-60's on idle. Typical for a high powered GFX card...not for a CPU.

Joims said:
lol jabberwock u cheapskate :p
Why spend £10 on a fan when 50p will do? :E

I daydream about what I could do with 20 80mm fans. For example I could glue them all together in huge blocks and replace the sides of my case. Now that is airflow. Then I could take it to a lan party and aim it at other people to put them off.

jabberwock95 said:

I daydream about what I could do with 20 80mm fans. For example I could glue them all together in huge blocks and replace the sides of my case. Now that is airflow. Then I could take it to a lan party and aim it at other people to put them off.

Somebody needs to make a motherboard designed like swiss cheese. That is, with holes in it, yet still fully functional.

Then, you could make one side of your case a 20 fan block that blows air onto your mobo, with the other side being a 20 fan block sucking air off of the other side.

That'd be like putting your mobo in a windtunnel :O

Yeah, but if I had that much cooling, I would only use it for malicious purposes.

Like pointing it at peoples desks when they have loads of papers to work on. :E

jabberwock95 said:

I'm quite surprised I havent seen this before. People do some pretty crazy things with there case modding, and somethign like that would be cool to see. If you connected it all up properly through fan controllers you could make it pretty quiet. 12cm fans would be better i'd say.

I wonder wh could pull off a case with the panels replaced by fans? It would be great to see that in action. I bet that would pretty much be the ultimate air-cooling you could get.

Bah, now you've made me want one... :E

i've actually seen this done, i think it may be on the readers drives section of the custompc website.

Does running a [GPU] fan at 100% for extended periods damage the fan in any way?

wouldn't imagine it would necessarily "damage" the fan in any way, but it may speed up wear, i.e. the fan on the card may wear out at a faster rate than before, but i wouldn't imagine this would be too much of an issue in the lifetime of a graphics card

u coudl do the full fan case mod thing and make it pracical by getting your case side panel and cutting it so ther is like 1 cm of the edge left all the way around( or to the sive specified to fit hte most 120mm fans in obv delta fans 210 cfm all the day! make sure the fanst have the mobo fan connectors instead and wire them al lin parallel and then conenct em to a single molew ( need a beast of a psu)

and that way it will be ultra fast:p

EDIT: think of that on a cmstacker or a p180:)
EDIT 2: zomg 1666 post

Another Question:
I have an x800XL OCed, w/stock cooling (well, stock for Sapphire). I was playing Doom3 for a while (pretty game :p ) and the temperature peaked at around 65C. My video card idles at around 41C. Is that hot? Or is that a normal temperature?

Back