Official Overclocking Thread- ALL questions go HERE

It may be because of the differences between the same model video card, for instance there may be a few that can hardly overclock at all, so its best just to be on the safe side. (That may be wrong)

Which is the best prime95 torture test to run?

small FFTs (maximum fpu stress, data fits in L2 cache, RAM not tested much)
In-place large FFTs (maximum heat, power consumption, some RAM tested)
or blend (test some of everything, lots of RAM tested)?

The first two seem to be the best as they max out your cpu, and not ram so you can still use the comp whilst its running. Are they OK?

nick_t said:
This might've been asked before but I can't read through the whole thread. Why aren't video cards already "overclocked" by the manufacturer to the maximum level which doesn't require extra cooling. Does overclocking have consequences (besides frying your card) such as shortening your video card's life? And, if you have overclocked your 9600 xt without additional cooling, can you please tell me what increase in performance (fps, benchmarks etc.) there has been? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I get 99 fps (lol, can't get 100) on the ATI Tool Cube test. Please refer to this, if possible, when you have oc'ed your card.
Making Chips for Graphics cards or CPUs is the same. The batch of chips you make may be really good by clocking very high or they may not clock as high. They all vary. It's like a batch of cookies are all different sizes by random. Some rise more than others and some have more chocolate chips. ;)

They set the models and at what clock speed they will run at.
What they do is choose what chips will make the cut for the high end chips and then for the next down etc. If they have a lot of really good chips left over, even if they can clock high, they will use them for the next model below. That's how you can get a chip that OCs well and is still stable. That's also why someone else's card may OC better than yours.

oMarKs said:
Which is the best prime95 torture test to run?

small FFTs (maximum fpu stress, data fits in L2 cache, RAM not tested much)
In-place large FFTs (maximum heat, power consumption, some RAM tested)
or blend (test some of everything, lots of RAM tested)?

The first two seem to be the best as they max out your cpu, and not ram so you can still use the comp whilst its running. Are they OK?
This is sort of my opinion on these but the first is good for testing or benchmarking CPUs and not the entire system or sub-system.
The second is good for testing stability for OCs.
The third is also good for testing OCs if you've OCed your RAM.

Anandtech has a new article up.
Overclocking Buyer's Guide - September 2004

Performance OC: Athlon 64 FX-53 (2.4GHz)
-Alternative: Pentium 4 540 (3.2GHz)
Value OC: Athlon 64 3200+ (2.2GHz)
-Alternative: Athlon 64 Sempron 3100+ (1.8GHz)

They were debating the Performance Alternative spot between the Pentium 4 540 (3.2GHz) and the Athlon 64 3200 (2.2GHz).
This month, it was particularly difficult to decide between the Single-Channel Socket 754 Athlon 64 and the new Intel Socket 775 for the Performance Overclocking alternative. Despite the massive increase in memory bandwidth that comes with the Dual-Channel 939, the fact remains that the Athlon 64 is not particularly bandwidth-starved compared to recent deep-pipe Intel designs. As you can see in the launch article on Socket 939, this translates into performance of the single-channel 754 Athlon 64 that is only 2% to 9% slower than the new 939 at the same speed. In real terms, this means that a Socket 754, combined with a second-generation Socket 754 motherboard with AGP/PCI locks, is still outperforming Intel's latest and greatest Pentium 4 560 (3.6GHz).

This month's introduction of the DFI LANParty UT nF3 250Gb makes the choice even more difficult as the socket 754 DFI is actually capable of outperforming the 939, if you are willing to run with one DIMM. The new pricing of the 2.4GHz 3700+ at less than $500 also makes this tempting for the Performance overclocker. This is still a very good alternative, but we finally decided to move the Socket 754 to the Value OC recommendation, since it does represent great value in Athlon 64 overclocking.

I have my P4 2.4C overclocked to 3.0ghz. My fsb is at 250 but my memory is running at 166MHZ,instead of 200MHZ. I got CPU-Z and it said that it was running at 3:1 ratio FSB : DRAM. How can i make it run at 3:3 and if it runs at 3:1 is there a performance decrease.

Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking of OC'ing my processor, just got this new cooler with my case:

http://www.directron.com/di48kd3b01.html

I went into BIOS on startup to check the temp, said 29 celcius, before it was like 40 something. How much should I be able to OC, what temp to stop at, and as long as it's stable (I'll run 3DMark03 after to check) and the temp is good, it can't be hurt OC'd right?

*Edit* I decided to give it a couple minutes before checking the temps, which I never did with the old fan, and it went to 38-39 and stopped there. So what do you guys think?

bryanf445 said:
id pm asus :)

Forget it, I posted this a while ago. I decided not to OC the cpu, I'm overclocking my 5200 instead. Not too bad either, at least to hold me for xmas.
:cheers:

I know how to OC my video card (eVGA 6800 GT), but what I'm wondering is, do I have anything to really worry about besides artifacts, if I take OCing really slow, like 5mhzs each notch? It seems really simple, and I'm not dissatisfied with my card, I just want the little free performance I can push out of it....but then again, I'm always fearful that I'll do something stupid and wrong and either go to far, or forget to do something, and then be out on my ass because I voided the warranty.

I guess this can go here:

IS there anyway to get 4 extra piupelines in 9600XTs/

02-10-2004 02:42 AM
Malfunction I know how to OC my video card (eVGA 6800 GT), but what I'm wondering is, do I have anything to really worry about besides artifacts, if I take OCing really slow, like 5mhzs each notch? It seems really simple, and I'm not dissatisfied with my card, I just want the little free performance I can push out of it....but then again, I'm always fearful that I'll do something stupid and wrong and either go to far, or forget to do something, and then be out on my ass because I voided the warranty

i can push my 9800 pro pretty far ocing (past xt speeds) so you shouldnt have any problems really, just dload the program to oc nvidias (its in the first post of the sticky)

i have one question. is it possible that i can't take the temp on my cpu with prime95 or any other programs that does that?is it possible that my motherboard does not support that?

i have a p4 2,4ghz cpu and a unknown motherboard delivered in IBM NetVista.

also, one more question, is overclocking a cpu with only standard cooling(a fan) too risky?

Quick question, has anyone here on an nVidia card successfully used the Coolbits tweak for the stock nVidia drivers that unlocks auto-OCing? If so, does the auto-OCing work well, meaning, is it safe to go ahead and enable? I got the tweak, but I'm cautious to enable it.

EDIT: A little info....without OCing my card at all, I usually idle at about 56-58 degrees Celsius, and I'm pretty sure have never gone over 60 under load. Am I safe for OCing?

So I guess you would recommend against Ocing with a stock motherboard? I currently have a p4 2.26 ghz. Motherboard is..I dunno but its stock heh...

Also, this is gonna sound really stupid but...is it even worth trying to overclock a geforce 4 mx card? I doubt it.

Sgt.Igneri: sorry if this is mentioned before, but this thread is getting pretty huge now.. anyway, what should i start overclocking first? the multiplier or fsb? really new to this.. and by the way whats the average temp for a 2500+ barton? I know its different from machine to machine, but mine is 56c without oc.. could it be my mb thats reading it wrong? asus A7N8X Deluxe..

What is a stable RAM:FSB ratio for a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4

PS the 3Drage tweak site doesnt work

(Ook)Toasted said:
Sgt.Igneri: sorry if this is mentioned before, but this thread is getting pretty huge now.. anyway, what should i start overclocking first? the multiplier or fsb? really new to this.. and by the way whats the average temp for a 2500+ barton? I know its different from machine to machine, but mine is 56c without oc.. could it be my mb thats reading it wrong? asus A7N8X Deluxe..
u should oc the fsb, ex, 200 x 15=3ghz or 240x14=3.3ghz lower multiplyer and ocd fsb= better stablity

Ok here's my rig:

2600+ barton
512MB Kingston HyperX PC4000
Shuttle AN35N-Ultra
XP Pro
9800 pro 128

people have said that my 2600+ can go to 3200+ speeds easily. The thing is, I have a stock heatsink and fan. I had great trouble putting another one on, and I try to avoid messing with the CPU physically at all costs. SIS Sandra says I'm at 2.08 now. I changed the FSB from 166MHz to 180MHz (11.5*180= about 2.08). I'm going to play CS:S for like an hour to test if I have probs. Thx for all the help. I would appreciate replies.

hullo folks. few q's. it's been about 2 years since i overclocked anything, sry for my apparent nUbness on some things.

okay, I am building new system. planning on a AMD athlon 64 3000+ 939 90nm, default clocked 1.8 (i think?) hopefully OC to 2.2 or higher.

first.. I'm thinking stock coolers not gonna be good enough, looking for a good quiet cooler. this one: [link to review] looks really cool... very zalman-esque. question is, i was having trouble finding any comparison reviews or round-ups that included this. does anyone know some good sites for this?

second. if I buy a retail CPU, does the stock fan come glued on or anything, or do you have to apply it yourself?... if I replaced the HSF, I'd prefer not to have to scrape crap off the cpu.

third. I was going to get the MSI Neo2 Platinum (I forgot the model num right now ?? it's the nforce2 ver.), and a 1gig PC3200 module. Does the ram run at FSB freq.?, or is their a multiplier setting? For some reason I couldn't find an answer on this one....

Oh, and if I wanted to get myself another gig later and take advantage of dual channel (unless I change my mind and go dual 512), is their any problem getting un-matched modules (provided both meet required specs, latencies, etc.) to run dual channel??

if anybody can help me out I'd appreciate it. :E

Edit: one more thing... does anyone know a good low-noise 400-500 watt PSU that doesn't cost 2 much? Currently looking at Tagen TG480-U01, can get for ~US$80+shipping, supposed to be very good.

okay. mistakes.

I meant that the board was nforce 3 , not 2. so it's the msi k8n neo2 plat.
the PSU manufacturer is Tagan, not Tagen.

additional questions: what's a good, basic, relatively cheap full-tower case, with at least 3 external 5+1/4 inch drives, and at least 4 internal 3+1/2's?? preferably tool-less, with removable drive cages, and independantly removable sides.
oh, and without a PSU. :E if anyone can fit THAT bill, I'll give you a cookie.*
* no I won't​

lastly, someone try and convince me to buy a x800 ;)
I'm having trouble rationalizing a vid-card over $250. :x

and if anyone know if the cnps7700-Cu zalman HSF fits the above MoBo let me know
(I guess all this shit doesn't belong in an OCing thread. sry. :sleep:)

About the cases, do the research yourself. That's a lot of stuff you're asking. But some good case manufacturers ar "Cooler Master" and "Antec". There are others. Top of the line is cooler master, they are nice and sturdy and look good. Thing is, they are on the expensive side. Antec are good cheap cases.

www.coolermaster.com
www.antec.com

That power supply you have looks crappy. Power supplys are very under estimated componenets, infact they are the most important component of your whole rig, if u have a crappy PSU, your other stuff isnt worth anything, especially when the computer wont boot cause of your psu or becasue the bad psu fried your x800xtpe ;)

Best PSU manufacturer: http://www.pcpowercooling.com/

That first quote in the page is from my personal favorite magazine: Maximum PC www.maximumpc.com

I would subscribe, they are incredible. 1 buck per issue w/o a cd if u are subscribed. that 12 bucks for a year! (or you can buy one for 8/9 bucks newstand with cd...)

As for videocard, i have a 9600XT i can play hl2 with everything maxxed out including AA and AF 20-40fps.

I'm happy with it.

Phisionary said:
planning on a AMD athlon 64 3000+ 939 90nm, default clocked 1.8 (i think?) hopefully OC to 2.2 or higher.
Good choice. The 3000+ (90nm) is probably the best OCer for the price. Just to let you know, the 3200+ would allow you to go even higher as the Multiplyer is 10 instead of 9. You can lower multiplyers but not raise them on Athlon 64's. The 3200+ costs more though.

Phisionary said:
first.. I'm thinking stock coolers not gonna be good enough, looking for a good quiet cooler. this one: [link to review] looks really cool... very zalman-esque. question is, i was having trouble finding any comparison reviews or round-ups that included this. does anyone know some good sites for this?
The Athlon 64 stock heatsinks are actually pretty good. My Athlon 64 3000+ (S754) is OCed from 2GHz to 2.3GHz on stock cooling with a little Arctic Silver 3.

A better cooler can let you OC a lot more though. That type of design has done well for Zalman but check out the weight on that heatsink. Also it is a little wide so you will have to check if it fits with your board.

Personally I recommend Thermalright heatsinks. They perform very well and do not weight as much (~300g). They let you use the fan or your choice with their heatsink which offers great versatility. The quickest way to look up reviews is type the brand/model number in google and add 'review' at the end. Avoid buyer reviews but look for site reviews. Also Newegg generally has site reviews listed next to the product they sell.

Phisionary said:
second. if I buy a retail CPU, does the stock fan come glued on or anything, or do you have to apply it yourself?... if I replaced the HSF, I'd prefer not to have to scrape crap off the cpu.
They come as individual parts. They are not glued. ;)

Phisionary said:
third. I was going to get the MSI Neo2 Platinum, and a 1gig PC3200 module. Does the ram run at FSB freq.?, or is their a multiplier setting? For some reason I couldn't find an answer on this one....
All Athlon 64's have the memory controller onboard the CPU so it will be the same for each board. They run by a ratio of the bus. 200MHz (6/6), 166MHz (5/6), 133MHz (4/6) etc. If you want to increase the memory you must increase the bus similar to Intel CPUs. It's a little more complicated though but more rewarding. ;)

Phisionary said:
Oh, and if I wanted to get myself another gig later and take advantage of dual channel (unless I change my mind and go dual 512), is their any problem getting un-matched modules (provided both meet required specs, latencies, etc.) to run dual channel??
There should not be much of an issue getting unmatched sticks. Just check compatiblity with the board. What configuration of memory were you thinking of though? 2 512MB sticks, a 1GB stick? By the way, memory can be very important to obtaining OC results. ;)

Oh and cases. Just so you know, full-tower cases have a full 6 5.25" bays while mid-towers are anywhere from 2-4.
Here is a very popular case design, Chenming case although a bit large. Link
Another dragon design from Chieftec link. Remember when Alienware used these cases?
Lian Li always cost a little more but I love these cases. Link
Just look around. There is a sticky thread here with a bunch of links for buying and review sites. Google is also a big help. ;)

Thanks Asus! I knew you would come through :E
Asus said:
You can lower multiplyers but not raise them on Athlon 64's. The 3200+ costs more though.
Okay. But I've heard from review that the 3000+ would OC to the same speed as the 3800+, and I hear that the Mobo I've picked is not a limiting factor for this. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the architecture... I'll look into it though. Fair $ more for not a lot though.
That type of design has done well for Zalman but check out the weight on that heatsink. Also it is a little wide so you will have to check if it fits with your board.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not too worried about weight, I very rarely move my computer at all. Should I worry about it more than I do though?
I found a forum with pics of someone's zalman 7000-Cu HSF on the k8n neo2, and it was very close to -- but not quite -- blocking the first memory slot. I've heard that the third/fourth memory slot pair runs more stabley (uglug word) then the first two, but it would be best to avoid that of course.
Personally I recommend Thermalright heatsinks. They perform very well and do not weight as much (~300g).
Thanks for the advice. I'll check em out. I was looking pointedly in the zalman direction for noise purposes. Unfortunately, I'll be running at least 3 hdd's on this system (possibly including a 10k'er) and they might end up being the noisiest parts in it.
They come as individual parts. They are not glued. ;)
good to know :D

They run by a ratio of the bus. 200MHz (6/6), 166MHz (5/6), 133MHz (4/6) etc.
Okay I get it. FSB runs 200+, and ram runs at a multiplied ratio of that. Apparently people are getting up to, and above, 280MHz FSB with 3000+'s at 9x multiplier. Wow. That's some OCing. :eek:
There should not be much of an issue getting unmatched sticks. Just check compatiblity with the board. What configuration of memory were you thinking of though? 2 512MB sticks, a 1GB stick? By the way, memory can be very important to obtaining OC results. ;)
Well, I've been torn up about ram. I pretty much need a gig, but don't want to pay too much. Basically, I'd like the bandwidth of dual channel, but I plan to upgrade to two gigs, when I need it (in a year + a half, maybe), or when it becomes affordable (under $100 for another gig). So, I'm content to wait with a gig until I can get more for cheaper. I hear that running on more than two slots cuts performance cause tyou need to increase, uh... command queueing (or something like that) to a two cycle delay, cuts bandwidth by 15% or something. So, low latency isn't eveything, not for the 100% price markup on quicker memory... but that's a big drop. So I'd like to be able to fit 2 gigs in 2 slots.
Ergo, PDP systems 1 gig (1024 x 1 high denisity) memory, on 1 DIMM, and get another later.... I think it's 3-3-3-10 1t ? from newegg at about $159.
Oh and cases. Just so you know, full-tower cases have a full 6 5.25" bays while mid-towers are anywhere from 2-4.
My full tower has only three FYI. does have six 3+1/2's and a front fan though....
Here is a very popular case design, Chenming case .......Another dragon design from Chieftec ......Lian Li always cost a little more but I love these cases. .....
Wonderful links. I bought a case like the first one you linked, over a year ago. I didn't know they still made them. Quite nice, good price :D
Do you know if those Lian Li aluminums are noisier / quieter than traditional steels? I'm planning on quiet components (GPU and 3+ hdd's being the real variable), and don't want something that, I dunno... resonates? It looks pretty though. I hear aluminum cools well.

Thanks for all your help. Sorry about all the questions, but I don't work with hardware on a regular basis, just build a comp every once in a while. Just trying to plan ahead properly and get my monies worth.

Word on the Tagan... the reviews I've seen have been very favorable. Here is one... I read another, can't find atm, that head-t-head against other low-noiser's... Came out with very good performance, low electrical noise, etc. Not the lowest I don't think, but they campared against one that was £100! I can get this one for US$77, free shipping!
I have recently read that the extra watts can give you an extra 10-15% on Ocing, so I won't underestimate the value of a good PSU. Zalman's on the other hand, run over $150 !! I wouldn't pay that... Plus, they seem to have a hell of a markup to get their 'silent PSU's and 'silent' cases. Brand value not worth all that...
Antec's do look good also.

P.S. Don't feel the need to go point by point again! I can probably figure out most of it :)

Here is the difference between the 3000+ and 3200+. Lets say you manage to OC the FSB to 250MHz but you can't get any higher.
(3000+) 9x250=2.25GHz
(3200+) 10x250=2.5GHz
If you can hit 280FSB then the 3000+ (9x280) would be able to hit 2.5GHz.
Bottom line:The 3000+ will OC great but you would have better chances with the 3200+ for more money. You would have to weigh it out.

Here's the deal with the memory. Read First
Note:banks are a chip configuration on the memory stick and not individual memory slots.
Getting 2 sticks of 512MB memory would probably be the best in the short term, as they have the best timings (Cas/CL 2 or 2.5) and it enables you to use Dual Channel Memory. The problem comes when you try to upgrade from that. After 2 sticks of 512MB, 2 banks each, you would run into a performance hit by adding memory by going over 4 banks total. Plus you probably only have 1 extra slot which wouldn't help with Dual Channel memory.
512MB Memory reviewed
Keep in mind, memory is key to OCing on an A64 system.

If you are for sure wanting 2GB's down the road, the best way to do it is go with 1GB sticks (also 2 banks each). Cas/CL latency of 2.5 is perfered, 3 would work but slower. You could get 1 GB now and run in single channel which wouldn't be terrible at all. Single channel Athlon 64 systems still fly. Or buy both right now.

Not saying 2 512MB sticks and a 1GB later wouldn't work. It just would not be optimal.

The zalmans is a good choice for cooling. I was just giving you my preference. ;)

Never really heard of Tagan really. When looking at reviews, see if you can see that it uses large capacitors as those are best. Also check the chart that shows the AMPs for each volt rail (3.3+,5+,12+). The 12+ rail is probably the most important one. 18A would be average although the new PSU are hitting up around 30A for the 12+ volt rail (more expensive PSUs).
*Would you look at that. It has 28Amps on the 12+rail. And it uses the large capacitors. Get it.

Look around. Sometimes a 400Watt PSU from one company might have 18Amps on that rail while a 350 or 380Watt PSU from Antec or Thermaltake has 20Amps. Otherwise if the reviews look good and you like the price, go for it.

I dunno. The fulltower/midtower might be classified differently by different people. Probably just whatever we are used to saying.
I look at most of these as fulltower and these as midtower case, personally. Probably because I own an almost waist-high case which is on wheels. :naughty:

*Disclaimer*
This post was written in haste.

Asus said:
If you can hit 280FSB then the 3000+ (9x280) would be able to hit 2.5GHz.
Anandtech hits 2610MHz on the 3000+ (same as 3500+)
Well, I know it can be done. :)
Here's the deal with the memory. Read First
Thanks. I'll check it out shortly. :)
see if you can see that it uses large capacitors as those are best.
The review said 'it looks like they left some empty soda cans inside during assembly' :LOL: ... sounds good to me :thumbs:
Probably just whatever we are used to saying.
I look at most of these as fulltower and these as midtower case, personally.
lol. true, true. my current case stands 18+1/2 inches tall. Big enough for me....

Thanks again mate. I'll check out that memory article when my haste is also less... :)

Sorry. No offence intended. Asus did my homework for me I've got to suck up now. ;)
ATI4EVER! said:
"Cooler Master" and "Antec".
Antec is nice, but most of the models taht look good come with PSU's included. Waste of money for me, quite sure I'll go with a custom. And I like having options as opposed to the few cases that actually come with good PSU's . Cooler master I must have missed. They look quite nice I'll have to look around. I found one that was ~$50, the rest seem a bit pricey so I dunno.
That power supply you have looks crappy.
Huh? Did you look? Specs are good; packaging, construction, review, price... Where did this come from??
Power supplys are very under estimated componenets, infact they are the most important component of your whole rig, if u have a crappy PSU, your other stuff isnt worth anything, especially when the computer wont boot cause of your psu or becasue the bad psu fried your x800xtpe ;)
I've had the no-boot... I'm appreciating them more all the time. :)
I looked for reviews on a few of their models (specifically one of the quiet ones) and didn't find much of anything. I rarely buy something that hasn't been reviewed well... or at all.
Maximum PC
I don't do magazines. :|
As for videocard, i have a 9600XT i can play hl2 with everything maxxed out including AA and AF 20-40fps.
Not bad... obviously whatever I get I'd like to last a while. I'm still having trouble really making up my mind... leaning toward the 9800 Pro in the 128mb. Does great on todays games, will support my 1280x960 preferred resolution fairly handily (maybe not with AA I dunno), probably will last a couple of years without not running things, and doesn't leave me feeling like someone pulled out my intestines with a meathook, financially speaking. Just a fleshwound.

Thanks 4 the opins...

Phisionary said:
lastly, someone try and convince me to buy a x800 ;)
I'm having trouble rationalizing a vid-card over $250. :x
I missed this. :)

What resolution do you generally play at or would like to? Would you use AA and AF settings?
What games would you be playing with the card?

The X800pro would give you the best performance and would excel at AA/AF allowing you to run the games with great visuals and yet you wouldn't have low FPS. Also supports Shader 2.0b which is much improved over 2.0, similar to 3.0. Would help in future games. 12 pipelines etc, you get the idea.

Of course a 9800 Pro 128MB (256bit) is a good card to fall back on. Still could use AA/AF but not near to the same extent and not as high of framerate. Not as good of a card for furture proofing unless you don't mind lowering your resolution in future games to maintain solid framerate. Great card overall.
Older review but compares the X800 pro to 9800 XT and shows Resolution AA/AF differences.
Anandtech, Xbitlabs and Firingsquad have some good reviews if you want to look up some more.

That's a very interesting review format... I haven't looked at their site much before.... (HardOCP)

Wow.... that x800Pro really does look good :eek: I have little need for the 1600x1200 really. My monitor doesn't look real hot at that high a res anyway. 1280x1024 is good for me.

The ones I'm seeing are running around 315 bucks though (ouch! :eek: ). I don't know why, but when you piece by piece these things together, when one component costs so much more than the rest... It just hurts. :( But If I wan't awesome game visual qulaity and framerates... It's mostly the card that matters. :hmph: I dunno.....

What I'm used to, of course, is 800x600 usually. :eek:
GF2:GTS and all. This new computer is along time coming. Part of the reason I have trouble justifiing it, is I'm not a huge gamer.. Though it's usually FPS's that I play (almost exclusively), I don't have time to as much as I'd like. So my card may go unused till I'm done with school. That'd be a waste of money. :x
But I'm not gonna wait years to play HL2, and I need a new comp anyway. So I need something fully DX9 and good.

I'm just kinda ranting on and on here... shush, me!

Yeah that x800Pro still looks tempting. Seems like a premium markup on them still... But they are definitely a step above....

Edit: Just a note on the 'firingsquad' memory link... I could be wrong... but they seem to be talking about athlon64 754's (what all with the 3 bank limitation). I was under the impression that the Athlon64 939's were more similar architecturally to the FX or opterons... I dunno. For example 939's do not have the '2gb' limitation of the 754's memory controller.

Then again, it still does not use registered memory, which seems too be what they are getting at. Huh.

This is rather perplexing. What is the advatage to having the capability of adding up to 4 gigs of memory if performance goes down? Unless registered memory is the inevitable future...

:hmph: weird. I'm gonna have to do some reading.

Back