Official requirements from the man himself...

lans

Reaction score
Gabe Newell posted this day before yesterday, on HL2fallout. I'm sure this has been posted around on the cs:s board, but it'll help causing less confusion if someone stickies it?

Min:
1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard

Preferred:
2.4 GHz Processor
512MB RAM
DirectX 9 graphics card
Windows 2000/XP
Mouse
Keyboard

I see theyve increased the requirments to include "mouse".

hmmm they've upped the minimum CPU requirements...I'm sure some people aren't to happy with that.

anyone know the link to the steam system spec servey(sp?)

Are the Preferred specs the one you need to run the game on full detaile? Or almost full detaile?

There not to bad but I do feel sorry for all those people who were promised it would work on there 700 mhz cpu :x

Oh, and the minimum HDD you can have is 3Gb (for at least the compressed version to work), so take a note 486ers. ;)

Yet another flat out lie perpetrated by our good friends at Valve.

CTTcrew_MrBlue said:
There not to bad but I do feel sorry for all those people who were promised it would work on there 700 mhz cpu :x

Yea but look at any mininamin requirement for a game nowdays, the min reqs are the min to get the thing going not to play it with a decent fps.

And we don't need a monitor

Excellent, just jack straight into our hypothalamus. Or should that be hippocampus? Damn, I never can remember. Or possibly the amygdala for that religious feeling on playing HL2!

Well, done for winning the Feath Award for improper use of the word "Benchmark" for the 8th of July 2004.

Attachments

• FAFIUOTWB.gif
    FAFIUOTWB.gif
    24.8 KB · Views: 942
Do any retailers even stock anything under 1.5Ghz anymore? If you don't meet the minimum spec, go upgrade -- it'll hardly cost anything to meet these requirements.

according to the steam survey:

at current time approx of 183990 people needs to upgrade CPU to play HL2 total.

approx 141006 new people need to upgrade since Valve upped the min. CPU req. vs the previous 42984 people.

feel free to check up on it. :rolling:

dura said:
That mouse requirement caught me off guard.
Not to mention the bit about having a keyboard. I had to fly these words in by carrier pigeon.

Although it certainly would be impressive if HL2 didn't need a mouse or keyboard...

:sleep: Damn I have to upgrade my mouse and keyboard for this game, freak the graphics, memory, and CPU upgrades.

CTTcrew_MrBlue said:

It's a year and a half after that was promised when it finally comes out, common sense dictates that the avarage spec of the low end user has gone up too in that one and a half years.

CTTcrew_MrBlue said:
Those people needed a slap in the face to pull them back into reality.

Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes of your puny 1.0GHz cpu after trying to play HL2

PriNcE oF SpAcE said:

approx 141006 new people need to upgrade since Valve upped the min. CPU req. vs the previous 42984 people.

Yep it's true :(

PriNcE oF SpAcE said:

Man, people seriously need to upgrade their systems, but don't worry. I remember so many people had like a P1 90 mhz and no 3D card that upgraded their systems with the release of the then newly released Half-life and counterstrike. So most likely, we can expect a big change in the steam surveys after a couple of months after HL2/Cs:s 's release.

Still CPU's are pritty damn cheap.

I can grab a Barton 3200+ for the price of 3 new games. Or in another way of looking at it 5 nights out.

urseus said:
I see theyve increased the requirments to include "mouse".

Because telling us the processor, graphic card, and RAM requirements are too short for system requirements.
:bounce:

PriNcE oF SpAcE said:

Heh.. way to go, valve. :|

An AMD Athlon XP 2000+ is going for $57 on NewEgg.com right now. It's ridiculous not to upgrade.

Folks, let's face it: computer upgrades are a fact of life. Expecting today's resource-demanding games (or applications, or operating systems) to run full-featured and flawless on hardware of two years ago is naive. It was naive in the days of Asteroids, it was naive in the days of Sonic the Hedgehog, and it's naive now.

I suggest that anyone who doesn't like this should consider buying consoles exclusively; that way, you will be artificially insulated from the continual upgrade process because you'll be buying them all at once every few years instead of incrementally.

SMT said:
An AMD Athlon XP 2000+ is going for $57 on NewEgg.com right now. It's ridiculous not to upgrade.

Folks, let's face it: computer upgrades are a fact of life. Expecting today's resource-demanding games (or applications, or operating systems) to run full-featured and flawless on hardware of two years ago is naive. It was naive in the days of Asteroids, it was naive in the days of Sonic the Hedgehog, and it's naive now.

I suggest that anyone who doesn't like this should consider buying consoles exclusively; that way, you will be artificially insulated from the continual upgrade process because you'll be buying them all at once every few years instead of incrementally.

I agree, computers are very cheap if you just look for them, and if you want to be in the "playable" HL2 range. I see P4 1.4 Ghz for about that much too.

The new age of games are a coming...hide in your mom's basement before it's too late!

You bitches are really gonna cry in early 2006 when the first unreal engine 3 games come out. Tim sweeney is saying that a 3.2ghz cpu + Nvidia 6800 Ultra will be the very lowest end, and will barely play the game.

CreedoG said:
You bitches are really gonna cry in early 2006 when the first unreal engine 3 games come out. Tim sweeney is saying that a 3.2ghz cpu + Nvidia 6800 Ultra will be the very lowest end, and will barely play the game.

ZZzzzzz no problem

CreedoG said:

and in 2006 (it'll prolly be Q4 btw), 3.2ghz (3200+) will be low end spec.

PriNcE oF SpAcE said:

Actually if the minimum spec was still 1GHz, there would be 93,011 people who took part in the survey who could not run the game.

Since it has been upped to 1.2GHz that figure has changed to 149,929; an increase of 56,918.

I don't know which survey you were looking at.

Furthermore only 15.7 percent of those surveyed required a CPU upgrade. Of those a large portion will probably upgrade. Those who don't were probably not that bothered about HL2 to begin with. I doubt Valve are all that concerned.

CTTcrew_MrBlue said:

I just plain feel sorry for the people that still try to get by with a 700 mhz cpu.

2006? Stop living in the future. In 2006 its just a matter of some upgrading like CPU and gfx card right? Or do we need like new main boards also?

I have a 900 mghz CPU at the moment. New pc is coming. Im so tired of this computer. It cant keep up with internet/gaming/me/everything anymore.

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1,53GHz) € 50,-
Abit NF7, nForce2 (5.1 Sound) € 66,-
512MB PC2700 DDR € 73,-
Club3D Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB € 110,-

This should be enough to run HL2 and other games the coming months (you'd be mad to upgrade just for one game) easily on acceptable graphical settings.
And that is assuming you don't have a decent motherboard or memory, which most people do have.

I think I'm going to buy like 512kb more RAM and a new graphics card, Radeon x800 pro maybe.. Will have to save for a long time to afford that though. :X

craigweb said:
and in 2006 (it'll prolly be Q4 btw), 3.2ghz (3200+) will be low end spec.

The 3200+ only runs at 2.2ghz actually. As it's AMD and not the inferior Pentium chip it will run to the equivalent 3.2ghz Pentium. I got a XP2500+ which clocks at 1.8ghz out of the box but I have OC'ed it to XP3200+ before now.

God that was dull. :dozey:

Wildhound said:
Actually if the minimum spec was still 1GHz, there would be 93,011 people who took part in the survey who could not run the game.

Since it has been upped to 1.2GHz that figure has changed to 149,929; an increase of 56,918.

I don't know which survey you were looking at.

Furthermore only 15.7 percent of those surveyed required a CPU upgrade. Of those a large portion will probably upgrade. Those who don't were probably not that bothered about HL2 to begin with. I doubt Valve are all that concerned.

the previous min req. was 700Mhz NOT 1Ghz...

Back