OH LOOK AT ME! i'm the matrix trilogy...

I thought they were good but there were things that just shouldn't have been done - Neo gaining superpowers ruined it in my opinion.

I did like the Battle of Zion and the highway chase though!

ríomhaire said:
Prove it. All we saw was Neo being carried away on a ship and you instantly assume he's dead?

All right, if he wasn't dead then why wouldn't the Architect just (physically) kill him then and there anyway?

I loved the first one for the sense of desperation with the rebels (gah, don't remember exactly what they were called). That whole "you see an agent, you run" thing created a real sense of tension, and made for some great action. Smith and co. were the perfect bad guys when they were still worth a damn.

The sequels totally destroy this by making it into a DBZ-style power level wankfest. Neo becomes the be-all-end-all superhero, and the side characters are pushed aside and made inadequate (they get to fight the petty thugs with MP5ks).

The MAIN thing that pissed me off about the sequels in comparison though, was the action and special effects. Needless to say they took it a bit way ****ing far. The original was impressive for being... unrelistically realistic (easiest way I can think of to describe it). Obviously the action and effects are still pretty over-the-top, but it feels real, it feels risky and... gritty. Best example I can cite is Terminator 2 (still reigns supreme in terms of special effects in my mind). It's realistic, and it has impact, as opposed to a more CG-ised approach where you feel like you're watching things unfold on a screen, you're not drawn into it. It's like... metal as opposed to plastic. Real as opposed to realistic. Idunno, it's hard to describe, but I see way too many high-budget films suffering from it now-days. They're just... too damn perfect, anyone get me? Sure, it's pretty, but I came to watch a movie, not a tech demo.

spookymooky said:
I really enjoyed the movies. The action, the characters, many of the ideas, but one thing really annoyed me.

The machines farmed people for their energy.

Why would they do that? You couldn't get any more energy from that than what you put in. They would be better off burning whatever they feed the people.

Also in The Second Rennaissance, why on earth would the humans scorch the sky? People need and feel an emotional bond with the sun. Machines however have probably the capability to launch orbiting solar generators which beam down the energy via microwaves.

The machines are solar powered, the only way the humans could stop them was to block out there only energy source, by blocking the sun.

As for burning nuclear energy, fossil fuels and shit, that could have been done but that would eventually run out so they used humans (a renewable energy source)

Burning whatever they feed the people, not possible that’s what the Matrix is, There not going to burn and feed of the Matrix.

Laivasse said:
All right, if he wasn't dead then why wouldn't the Architect just (physically) kill him then and there anyway?
The Architect kill Neo, heheheheHAHAHAHAHA. No one knows if Neo is dead or not, but i think he is alive.

It seems to me that a few of you have know idear what the **** you are on about because you don't understand it at all.

One of the sequels was planned to contain a lesbian sex scene. That's a fact.

Sparda said:
The machines are solar powered, the only way the humans could stop them was to block out there only energy source, by blocking the sun.

As for burning nuclear energy, fossil fuels and shit, that could have been done but that would eventually run out so they used humans (a renewable energy source)

Burning whatever they feed the people, not possible that’s what the Matrix is, There not going to burn and feed of the Matrix.

The Architect kill Neo, heheheheHAHAHAHAHA. No one knows if Neo is dead or not, but i think he is alive.

It seems to me that a few of you have know idear what the **** you are on about because you don't understand it at all.
Humans are by no means a reneweble energy source, we are quite inefficient in producing energy even in a coma like state. The machines could use the same source as zion uses, the heat from the earth's core. Even if that isn't reneweble, they could have used it to build and launch solar array's in orbit that could beam energy down in microwave form.

The matrix is not what they feed the people, it's liquified food that is fed to humans, the matrix is there only to make people more active by letting them believe they are living normal lives,and hence let them produce more energy, it's also probably used to study people. And making machines that process human food and produce energy is a lot more effecient them feeding people and sucking the energy out of them.

As far as Neo beeing dead, his physical body probably is, thats made quite clear in the movie, weather or not his mind survives in the matrix is another question.

Saying 'lol u don't understand it cos it's so mystical n philisophical wooo' is exactly what the Wachowski brothers were counting on for their dosh. It doesn't make sense, it's not well executed - face it, and start liking a better series of films.

Laivasse said:
Saying 'lol u don't understand it cos it's so mystical n philisophical wooo' is exactly what the Wachowski brothers were counting on for their dosh. It doesn't make sense, it's not well executed - face it, and start liking a better series of films.

what do you recommend? :E

Overlooking the impossible human-power-source thing (personally, I see the matrix more as a jail where the stolen power just reduces operating costs) the sequels weren't as good, but were also rather under-rated.
The series (especially the animatrix) does a fairly good job of establishing that the machines aren't just brainless killers, but are actually rather similar to people.
Imagining they would have sympathy isn't much of a stretch.

The sequels weren't "pure shite" and "awful" as everyone says. That's hyperbole.
They did, however, do things totally differently from the original, so people who were hyped on the idea of "more of the same" (and I was one of them) got let down hard.
Otherwise, the only beefs I had were in part 3: too many extraneous characters and the repetitive "robots shoot at the air" action took up half the movie.
Character develpoment suffered as a result, but the series works as a whole and was overall really smart.

It is true, you need to consider them from a more literary standpoint. In the first movie, it was possible to ignore the relatively simple plot and focus on the action, although there was deeper stuff if you wanted to look for it.
For the sequels you need to focus on the plot. So the series became way less accessable to the original's action-movie fans.

Sparda said:
Agreed
Zion not Zen, I liked Naiobi, did you know she did the voice of the hippo in Madagascar :p

A worthless but interesting fact. I'll remember that the next time I'm down at the pub :thumbs:

Bad^Hat said:
The MAIN thing that pissed me off about the sequels in comparison though, was the action and special effects. Needless to say they took it a bit way ****ing far. The original was impressive for being... unrelistically realistic (easiest way I can think of to describe it). Obviously the action and effects are still pretty over-the-top, but it feels real, it feels risky and... gritty. Best example I can cite is Terminator 2 (still reigns supreme in terms of special effects in my mind). It's realistic, and it has impact, as opposed to a more CG-ised approach where you feel like you're watching things unfold on a screen, you're not drawn into it. It's like... metal as opposed to plastic. Real as opposed to realistic. Idunno, it's hard to describe, but I see way too many high-budget films suffering from it now-days. They're just... too damn perfect, anyone get me? Sure, it's pretty, but I came to watch a movie, not a tech demo.

I get you and totally agree. But the thing is, big fx = big audience = big $$$.

I personally enjoy high-budget effects. That is provided they don't replace characters and plot. I found many entirely CG scenes in Return of the King, Star Wars III, and King Kong for instance beautiful just for themselves.

Also, Sprada, what we know of about physics indicates that you cannot get more energy out of a system than you put in. The human brain does not create more joules of energy thaan the body takes in.

Haha, King Kong is a perfect example of a movie I hated just for this reason. And yes, the blatant CG did take away from the movie for me.

I saw a skit on some comedy show that got it perfect. It's Naomi Watts acting infront a blue screen, and Peter Jackson is behind the camera screaming "alright, now there's a t-rex behind you.... RAAAWWRR!! Scaaaaaary t-rex... oooooh, he's coming your way! He's gonna get you! RARR! RAAAAAARR!!"

Grey Fox said:
Humans are by no means a reneweble energy source, we are quite inefficient in producing energy even in a coma like state. The machines could use the same source as zion uses, the heat from the earth's core. Even if that isn't reneweble, they could have used it to build and launch solar array's in orbit that could beam energy down in microwave form.
They are in the movie if not there would be no movie would there?
The Matrix is designed to turn Humans in to this...
batteries7336330dk.jpg

I would recommend watching The Animatrix, it explains alot more.

Doppelgofer said:
what the **** happened to the last 2 though seriously...did they write the stupidly retarded dialogue and scripted the bone achingly cringey moments themselves or get ****ing belemy from heartbeat to write it.

Dude, Heartbeat?!?!?!?!?!

Your shitting on the matrix and you watch heartbeat?

The first Matrix they had years to wright it the last 2 thet had 3 years to do both.

Bad^Hat said:
I loved the first one for the sense of desperation with the rebels (gah, don't remember exactly what they were called). That whole "you see an agent, you run" thing created a real sense of tension, and made for some great action. Smith and co. were the perfect bad guys when they were still worth a damn.

The sequels totally destroy this by making it into a DBZ-style power level wankfest. Neo becomes the be-all-end-all superhero, and the side characters are pushed aside and made inadequate (they get to fight the petty thugs with MP5ks).

How can you take a movie like the matrix too far or over the top?? The whole movie was built on exactly that. Being way over the top. Its like saying hey, superman couldn't fly that fast its too unrealistic. Hmmmm. Although I do agree with you on the whole big budget movies being too clean. Thats what I thought of Xmen and I got shotdown for it though. I liked The Xmen movies but I would have liked to have seen abit more grit and dirt if you know what Imean. By the way have you seen the third one yet? I'm goin to see it tommorrow?

Sparda said:
They are in the movie if not there would be no movie would there?
The Matrix is designed to turn Humans in to this...
batteries7336330dk.jpg

I would recommend watching The Animatrix, it explains alot more.

Wasn't it 9V batteries, not AA? :naughty:

Laivasse said:
The same reason that they stopped the attack on Zion?

ríomhaire said:
The same reason that they stopped the attack on Zion?

They stopped the attack on Zion because they needed SMITH dead and Neo was offering to do it, with both Neo and Smith dead nothing is stopping the machines from taking Zion. If Neo is still alive after he kills Smith then there is no reason for the Architect not to kill him then.

Why do people keep trying to explain it but make no sense aaragahagaharagh (answer: because it makes no sense)

Bull Goose Loony said:
what any person would probably do, scream and writhe around for a while, then go into shock and die.
Good answer, good answer.

Now I ask you, what would Superman do? :naughty:

See what I'm getting at?

Bad^Hat said:

I personally think a lot of CGI has actually DECLINED. Take for example King Kong. You see the T-Rex. You think "Wow, that's really good CGI." Then you watch the original Jurassic Park. You see the T-Rex. You thinl "Holy crap it's a tyrannosaur!" A lot of old CGI looked a lot more real and less obvious than today's brand. I have no idea how to explain it, but I think what I've cited is a good example.

That's not because of worse CG, it's because of the direction, camera angles etc. etc.

Thunderclap said:
I personally think a lot of CGI has actually DECLINED. Take for example King Kong. You see the T-Rex. You think "Wow, that's really good CGI." Then you watch the original Jurassic Park. You see the T-Rex. You thinl "Holy crap it's a tyrannosaur!" A lot of old CGI looked a lot more real and less obvious than today's brand. I have no idea how to explain it, but I think what I've cited is a good example.

I thought exactly the same thing when i say Kingkong. I actually preffered the Trex from Jpark.

Most of the T-rex shots from JP are in fact, animatronic.

The rain scene? All robot.

Laivasse said:
They stopped the attack on Zion because they needed SMITH dead and Neo was offering to do it, with both Neo and Smith dead nothing is stopping the machines from taking Zion. If Neo is still alive after he kills Smith then there is no reason for the Architect not to kill him then.

Why do people keep trying to explain it but make no sense aaragahagaharagh (answer: because it makes no sense)
Good point.

I always prefer it when the things are as real as possible. Just look at the Hitchhicker's Guide film.

_Z_Ryuken said:
Most of the T-rex shots from JP are in fact, animatronic.

The rain scene? All robot.
Son of a ****, I always regared that as the best CGI scene in history, because that was the only scene I could not tell was computer animated, and now I find out it simply isn't.

Point is it looked better. TEN YEARS AGO.

Bad^Hat said:
Point is it looked better. TEN YEARS AGO.

Yes but now making a T-Rex look ALMOST as good as Jurassic Park costs only about half as much.

esplin said:
Yes but now making a T-Rex look ALMOST as good as Jurassic Park costs only about half as much.

Cause I'm sure budget is an issue for PJ :p

Edit - That said, it would've been a bit of a task to get an animatronic ape to do all that...

Laivasse said:

Actually, it makes quite a bit of sense. The machines aren't evil and every time they kill the one he always comes back and messes up the system.

The only solution was to stop killing him.

Mechagodzilla said:
Actually, it makes quite a bit of sense. The machines aren't evil and every time they kill the one he always comes back and messes up the system.

The only solution was to stop killing him.
Wait, the one is made by the matrix, simply because they need a central leader to lead all the people that simply resist the matrix, out of the matrix so it's easier for the machines to squish them. This gives people hope and yet also makes them more venerable because they are so dependent on the one.
They destory zion and kill the one ever so often when he becomes to strong. And let the process start over again.

Back