Ok....here's what I think....

C

Captian Welsey

First let me say that my name is spos'd to be WESLEY but like an idiot I typed it in "welsey" and so I will be stuck with that name for all of eternity.....anyway...

I've been scouring the interenet on all the Half-life theories, I mean reading everything. And after all that I just can't help but opening my big mouth and saying what I got's to say.

The first thing that I want to comment on are all the theories out there about Gordon and the Gman. Everyone seems to think that he's this strange amazing thing, like an angel, or an alien, or even Gordon from the future. One dude, here on the sight even said, "Gordon and the 'G' man," saying that the G stood for Gordon. Ok, just to make it clear, when someone says G-man, they mean a dude that works for the government, its a really old frase you know. It's like saying "badge" or "Fed." I wouldn't immediatly dismiss a wierd explanation of his powers, but I wouldn't agree that it's because he's something shocking. In fact I would believe that orignally Valve intended for him to be a man that works for the Government, and that the ending on the train in HL1 really actually had an answer to it already.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Gman and the ending to Half-Life was all answered with the mini-expansion game "Redemption." For you see that game opened up with you walking down an office hallway, and talking briefly with the Gman, and then going off to work for the government cleaning up the leftover Xen going about earth. Now I suppose that one could say that due to the unpopularity of that title, that Valve decided to re-write history with Half-life 2 and if that's what they did, then I guess that's cool anyway. But my point is that in that game you saw the Gman doing paperwork in his office and stuff, meaning that there wasn't anything supernatural about him, just that he worked for the goverment who aparently has neat technology they give him acess too.

Haha, the way redemption has it is rather boring, I hope that isnt the truth. I like the new info though, never heard it.

Yeah, that's actually true information, honest engine. About "Redemption" and all. It was some mini-expansion thing that you could get somehow out of one of the spin-off games. It came on blue shift, or oposing force or something, yeah I'm pretty sure it was aoposing force. In the game your job was to go fix all the stuff that the xen have done, and there was even this one level where you saw a gonarch in a cage, that the russian government had caught. That's actually something a good friend told me, I never actually finished the game. I think it was because of some error in the game, like all of my saved games getting erased. Anyway, I only played a little bit, and might I say it was not only boring, but really cheesy as well. I think to find it you have to bring up the menu on Oposing force, and look under "Custom Maps," or something.

Is redemption canon? I thought it was just a cool little mod.

I dont think it is, but its an awesome MOD :E

No, I actually think its canonical. I never downloaded anything extra, and it just CAME with my copy of oposing force (Atleast I still think it's oposing force.) And if valve didn't make it, then how did they get the voices of the Gman and Barney in there?

It can't be cannon though - Because it operates under the premise that HL2 doesn't exist.

It's like I said, the game wasn't that popular, and so Valve decided that they would re-write history in a more interesting manner. Like how Doom 3 exists on the premis that Doom 2 never happened. I think that at first they decided that "Redemption" would be the answer to the ending of HL1, but then later decided that the story to HL2 was far more intersting, and knowing that if they changed it, nobody would really notice, and that's what I think they did.

I always thought that Redemption was just an amateur mod that Valve liked and put into their official releases. It was never meant to be a true sequel to HL1.

Apocalypse89 said:
I always thought that Redemption was just an amateur mod that Valve liked and put into their official releases. It was never meant to be a true sequel to HL1.

It's just a mod, I think the same people who did "wanted" (the crazy western half life mod) made it. Non cannon.

Yeah, I'm afraid it isn't canon. It was pretty damn good (I have fond memories of the theme park segment) but it wasn't created by Valve and certainly wasn't meant to project their view of the HL universe's future: just think of it as a "what if" dimension where an alternate timeline came about ;)

Dude, I know that it's part of the "What if" dimension, but how could a MOD have the voices of Barney and the Gman? That is to say that those models opened their mouths during the game, and the sound that came out was the actors for those parts.

Sulkdodds said:
O RLY? :naughty:

(That's a link by the way).

hmm....ok well here's the thing about that. Id said to the media that the third Doom game existed as if the second didn't happen. On the other hand your evidence is interesting, and would lead me to believe the theory, but cummon'. Id said explicitly that Doom 3 cut Doom 2 out of the universe. Are we to assume that they where lying for the purpose of keeping parts of the story a secret?

Ok, I suppose it is then. I guess they just got the voice actors to work for their company, out in the UK. I just immediatly assumed that anyone who was making mods wouldn't have had the money to hire the original voice actors, and all that begs the question:

"If the company had the money and the rescorces to hire the original voice actors then why didn't they just make their own game?"

Captian Welsey said:
Ok, I suppose it is then. I guess they just got the voice actors to work for their company, out in the UK. I just immediatly assumed that anyone who was making mods wouldn't have had the money to hire the original voice actors, and all that begs the question:

"If the company had the money and the rescorces to hire the original voice actors then why didn't they just make their own game?"
I heard of a Warcraft 3 mod that hired the original voice actors for it.

ríomhaire said:
I heard of a Warcraft 3 mod that hired the original voice actors for it.

Wiggy! Well, I'm not big on Warcraft, so I've never heard of that scenario, with the mod-makers and the voice-actors and what have you. Oh well.

The voices of Barney and G-man in Redemption sounds a bit different from the original game to me. To me, the voices sounds more like good imitation.

At that time, ALL the SP mods were about where the GMan came from and what happened next. None of them had any real answers - or at least none that were satisfying.
Plus, Redemption was crap.

el Chi said:
At that time, ALL the SP mods were about where the GMan came from and what happened next. None of them had any real answers - or at least none that were satisfying.
Plus, Redemption was crap.

Yeah, I gotta say that redemption really didn't thrill me. Not because of the funky mod story line, but because the game play sucked. For some reason it felt very unbalanced, and there wasn't ever enough ammo.

Back