omg who in the hell saw gordon?! :| omg :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkato

Reaction score
wtf is going on?! everybody seen gordon in the conecpt art but in game? i never saw is face... maybe that explains why he is not talking :| anybody seen gordon? is he invisible or something? who actully saw gordon?!.

No. Valve has explained that you ARE gordon....so seeing his face or hearing him talk would ruin the experiance.

that is just stupid maybe gordon is a dog?! how can it ruin the experiance if you play someone that you can actully see or hear?! wtf?

Yeh, but what if you looked in a mirror... or with the camera thing.

hl1 gfx didn`t support reflections of moving objects... at least that what i remmber... anyway you are in a factory where can you find a mirror and no camres in black mesa, sorry.

I swear that some people, rather than reading down the list of topics to figure out what not to double post, read down the list of topics to figure out what's already been discussed ad nauseaum and post it anyway.

im new here i don`t know wha tu disscused and even if so im not gonna go 80 pages back just to see it.

tkato said:
that is just stupid maybe gordon is a dog?! how can it ruin the experiance if you play someone that you can actully see or hear?! wtf?

Becuase YOU ARE GORDON FREEMAN.

You are not watching a character and controlling him. You are the character.

Votes for biggest idiot of the day anyone?
No offence tkato but "you are in a factory" "no camres in black mesa"
Wrong on both counts. Go and play the game enough times until you get a clue. Have you actually played the game, at all?
"wtf is going on?! ...anybody seen gordon? is he invisible or something? who actully saw gordon?!"
WTF are you talking about? Half-Life is meant to be an immersive simulation. It's called a first-person shooter. That means you see it through the eyes of the character you play as. It would kind of weaken the simulation if you could see yourself, wouldn't it? I'm pretty sure that you don't ever see "yourself" in most games of this type.
Do you understand?

"maybe gordon is a dog?" Yes. Maybe Gordon is a dog. Maybe he is. That would explain why he can run so fast. I'm a bit confused about the whole shooting-aliens-with-guns thing though. Any ideas?

BUT U NEVER ACTULLY SAW IT?! I dont care they say i play gordon but it`s that they didn`t modeld they own hero?!

Yes, the character is modeled in the game, but you can't see all of him....for the same reason you can't see all of your real-life body at the same time. In fact you did "ACTULLY SAW IT" - you see "your" hands all the time in the game. What more do you want?

Gordon is whatever you make him to be. If you want him to be a talking, megahuge dog, then that's your choise.

For me, he's probably my idol. A guy with smarts and strenght enough to get out of BM and survive the ordeal afterwards. Not only that but he's experienced so much already in Half-Life 1 then most people would in more then one lifetime. Even after that, he's coming back in Half-Life 2, and he will probably even make a third comeback.

For me he's this great guy with charisma, stamina and one hell of a good sense of what's good and what's not.

Now stop bitching about not seeing him in the mirrors or hearing him speak, tell you what, if you want to see him or hear him, why don't you just imagine his voice and his body figure yourself?

Regards
Dead-Inside

I always thought that Gordon ran around with the HEV suit helmet an Visor on, which obscures his face. How else would he see the HUD?

Have you been living in an upside down bucket for 6 months? This has been talked about god knows how many times.........

I think the main thing to notice is that he has a disgusting little ponytail, similar to Obi Wan in The Phantom Menace. :rolleyes:

They only made that model for the HL DM multiplayer, in-game gordon has no real model, so you cannot see his reflection, and he never talks.

How do they apply physics to your character if your model does not exist? I assume you can get knocked down by various enemies or explosions.

Ingame Gordon does have a model. To prove it place a button that triggers a camera that is looking at the button and boom hello gordon. When I was first learning how to use cameras I found a way to have a camera that follows him around and you could still move.

Obviously Valve had to create a look for Gordon, so players got the feel of what kind of guy they where playing as.

monkeydust said:
How do they apply physics to your character if your model does not exist? I assume you can get knocked down by various enemies or explosions.

IIRC they had that in at one point, but they took it away since they diddn't like it.

tkato said:
wtf is going on?! everybody seen gordon in the conecpt art but in game? i never saw is face... maybe that explains why he is not talking :| anybody seen gordon? is he invisible or something? who actully saw gordon?!.

rofl thats hilarious : D

You can see him in both Opposing Force and Blue Shift, as well as the model in deathmatch, Op4CTF etc.
Of course, he could be an invisible dog in a man-suit. It makes a lot of sense now you mention it... :eek:

Edit: I always thought the HUD must be holographic, like a few other things in the BMRF.

there will be a gordon model, because as Kyo said, wen you change the cam out to 3rd person there is indeed a player model in HL1...

[NO LEAK INFO]

Gordon is YOU.

If he spoke like a geeky wee chineese kid (for example) then you arent gordon anymore, your some wee geeky chineese guy.

but, if gordon doesnt speak you can belive that he is YOU, (in my case) a guy with a heavy scottish accent and hate of all things.

Voices are just another form of making the player some1 they are not, just as bad as half way through the game you find out your guys gay, but your not gay so it annoys you...

oh god nevermind..... :x

This thread is getting annoying now... I haven't been on these forums long but there are so many topics about why can't I see gordon etc. Can't people just get on with the lifes instead of worring why you can't see a fictional characters feet...

hmm i still like the idea of seeing the player's reflection in say, mirrors and water etc.
and the player should be gordon. so. yeah.

Reflection isn't that hard to do, It was in Duke Nukem 3d for crying out loud.

I've played several games where you can see your feet aswell. I want to be able to see your H.E.V. suit downwards. So you could run forward and see your legs pumping away, and to limit how far you can look down becuase Gordons pretty damn bendy otherwise.

Maybe tkato could use some of Half-Life 2 AI.

I really hope Valve doesn't use the 'you are Gordon' excuse to leave mirrors out of HL2 :upstare:

thund said:
I really hope Valve doesn't use the 'you are Gordon' excuse to leave mirrors out of HL2 :upstare:

and the n00b of the year award goes to....

Well, I'd personally prefer reflections of Gordy and a visible player body, but that's just me.

The Camera > Monitor system they have is using the exact same method as mirrors usually do in games (the other method is having a mirroed part of the map on the other side with a keyframed charecter), however the animations always look clunky, because the movements of a players mouse and keyboard is never as human as the ingame charecters, it would look tosh!

Come on. That bullshit about us being Gordon is, quite frankly, bullshit. I talk, I can see myself in the mirror and in water. And if Gordon was myself, he would do the same. Every other game the main character talks. What is different here?

ray_MAN said:
Come on. That bullshit about us being Gordon is, quite frankly, bullshit. I talk, I can see myself in the mirror and in water. And if Gordon was myself, he would do the same. Every other game the main character talks. What is different here?

50 Goty awards and 5 years of benchmarked singleplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back