On the Easter Egg

Tiddalick

Reaction score
Greetings all,
Though I have been reading these forums for a while, this is my first post :cheers:

On the Easter Egg on the 2003 E3, that Greg mentioned in his thread...

I know people have in the past tried to gain insights from the flashing images that appear at the end. I think this is where the Egg would be (if at all, for something that hints to the story at least).
We can see the G-Man flashing towards us as we travel down the tunnel as well as other images that relate somehow to the game. To the G-Man??

We See:
1.The G-Man himself reflected in the images
2.Physics Equations, that I am sure are Schrodingers equations of Quantum Mechanics
3.The Horse statue that we can see in the video in City-17, specifically the strider fight as Gordan is coming down the lift, the horse can be clearly seen.
4.Text of some sort, I thought someone had succeded in reading this in the past somewhat.

Maybe the text hides something, or the reference to the horse implying the G-Mans greater involvement against (or with) the combine.

Meh, just some ideas. :rolleyes:

Congrats on your first post, and welcome. :)

Thanks!
Looking forward to Half-Life 2 in all its glory :E
I preordered the Collectors ($155 AUD for game + delivery) and I can't wait to load it up. :stare:
Thanks for the welcome

Greg Coomer said:
Several people asked: What was the easter egg in the E3 2003 vids?
I don't have the heart (or the spine) to answer this question.

That was Greg's last comment on it. I've wondered this for a while and I think this pretty much confirms it (for me anyway). There is no easter egg. All the time you've spent deciphering everything, picking words and phrases to pieces, watching the videos frame by frame - there isn't an easter egg. We'd have found it by now.

:LOL: You've all been stitched up!!

lmao

EDIT: Welcome to the forums though Tiddalick

:cheers:

Chris_D said:
...there isn't an easter egg. We'd have found it by now...

lmao

Or there is that option as well... :rolleyes: :stare:

Edit : and thanks again for the welcom

Chris_D said:
That was Greg's last comment on it. I've wondered this for a while and I think this pretty much confirms it (for me anyway). There is no easter egg. All the time you've spent deciphering everything, picking words and phrases to pieces, watching the videos frame by frame - there isn't an easter egg. We'd have found it by now.

lmao

I don't know, the horse statues are something that remind me what I saw in Rome, maybe that's the easter egg? Like the GTA:SA screenshots showed the E3 convention center.

How is that the easter egg? They're typical statues. They're typical statues that you would find in most typical eastern, or western European cities. We have one in Leicester.

lans said:
I don't know, the horse statues are something that remind me what I saw in Rome, maybe that's the easter egg? Like the GTA:SA screenshots showed the E3 convention center.

It just seemed out of place to me, in that last sequence compared to the other things that were going on the screen. Especially before the last scene started with a zoom in of the horse statue, it seemed to be hinting at something. Still it might just be nothing at all, did Valve ever say themselves that there was an Egg? It might of been something the community started.

Chris_D said:
How is that the easter egg? They're typical statues. They're typical statues that you would find in most typical eastern, or western European cities. We have one in Leicester.

I know this may sound kinda weird, but nothing really gives that european feel to the whole atmosphere than those statues. The american accents, and other environements just don't emphasis the fact that city 17 is a european city.

But I suppose they are too obvious - couldn't be called easter eggs.

We have sir. Mannerheim riding a horse in the middle of Helsinki. Mannerheim was a great leader during WW2.

the horse statue was in the first batch of screenshots released for HL2.

lans said:
I know this may sound kinda weird, but nothing really gives that european feel to the whole atmosphere than those statues. The american accents, and other environements just don't emphasis the fact that city 17 is a european city.

But I suppose they are too obvious - couldn't be called easter eggs.
The architechture, culture and even the road signs all feel European to me. But anyway, yeah, something like that is way too obvious if there was an easter egg.

Which I'm pretty sure there isn't.

The closest to an easter egg I found is that you can see a toilet in most scenes from the E3 videos.

Im not saying that there is anything strage with the horse itself. Mainly that its apperance at the end sequence might hint at something.
When great War heros are idealised then they usually are riding a horse (older ones at least). Having the image at the end might suggest that the G-Man is a good guy, helping you help the people to achieve freedom from the Combine. Or maybe that he is double crossing you, with the horse with hooves raised ready to crush.
Who knows?
The more I think about it though, the less significance I think it has...
It seems Im stretching myself to come up with anything about it. Still it seemed a good idea at the time of the post.
:frog:

Maybe it's connected to Rome: Total War? Somebody @ Valve had a desktop from that game.

Chris_D said:
The closest to an easter egg I found is that you can see a toilet in most scenes from the E3 videos.

Yeah, I'll go for that one, because it seems so strange that a toilet is in the container in the TrapTown movie. I mean, it is the only thing (besides the metal thing, but that has a effect on the combine soldier).

But, I cannot seem to find one in the Docks nor the Coastline video. So it has to be "most scenes" instead of "all".

what was HALF LIFE egg ? I forgot ........ and how did you find it ?

Not seeing this mentioned so I will throw it out.

Could be there really isn't an EE, but his wording seemed very specific. Greg said he didn't have the heart, or spine.....seems like very carefully choosen words to me. Two body parts.

I offer no guesses as I haven't watched the videos enough, but those two words make me wonder.

Or I'm just really tired and reading too much into it :p

712 said:
Yeah, I'll go for that one, because it seems so strange that a toilet is in the container in the TrapTown movie. I mean, it is the only thing (besides the metal thing, but that has a effect on the combine soldier).

But, I cannot seem to find one in the Docks nor the Coastline video. So it has to be "most scenes" instead of "all".
There is one in the coastline video - blink and you'll miss it.

Someone said:
Not seeing this mentioned so I will throw it out.

Could be there really isn't an EE, but his wording seemed very specific. Greg said he didn't have the heart, or spine.....seems like very carefully choosen words to me. Two body parts.

I offer no guesses as I haven't watched the videos enough, but those two words make me wonder.

Or I'm just really tired and reading too much into it :p
That's my reasoning behind it exactly.

The easter egg is the release date: it will be released at easter. hoorah.

Chris_D said:
There is no easter egg.

You've all been stitched up!!

This does fit the PR pattern which Valve has been doing for years! ;)

:imu:

Here's something that's kinda related... If we order the Videos in the way that the ones that are in the morning are first and then the ones that are later in the day, could that mean that we have the order that we will play them in the game?

MaxiKana said:
Here's something that's kinda related... If we order the Videos in the way that the ones that are in the morning are first and then the ones that are later in the day, could that mean that we have the order that we will play them in the game?

Possibly.
I remember reading that the game takes place over a few days (3 I think) from start to end.
From that It would be hard to know when exactly each sequence fitted in

the pose the horse is striking in that statue is almost identical to the Ferrari logo.

Chris_D said:

lmao

That was my immediate thought at the beginning when no one could find anything :D

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in

the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the

air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If the horse

has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

--- i dont suppose that could have some significance?

phuket101 said:
If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in

the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the

air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If the horse

has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

--- i dont suppose that could have some significance?

Considering it's not true...no. Although, I suppose Valve could be following false rumors too, so then it could be true for them.

I'm going to throw my vote into the "EE? What EE?" pot.

There's a small easter egg in the E32K4 video. You can see a poster with Ruby (the ATi character) on it. I think that one's during the Strider vids.

Chris_D said:
There's a small easter egg in the E32K4 video. You can see a poster with Ruby (the ATi character) on it. I think that one's during the Strider vids.

Hehe, yes I see it. I had noticed the picture before but not what was in it.

Chris_D said:
Greg Coomer said:
Several people asked: What was the easter egg in the E3 2003 vids?
I don't have the heart (or the spine) to answer this question.

lmao

The heart of spine to tell us

in that case I still say even more now that it was the signs with the 30 speed limit on, 30, 30th september.

august! come on... my birthday present...is... hl...2.......well. week after.

Fenric said:
The heart of spine to tell us

in that case I still say even more now that it was the signs with the 30 speed limit on, 30, 30th september.

You could be right, and yes valve sould be afraid to tell us that was the easter egg... :angry: :D

I actually would find it ironic and fun if they did release it on Sept 30th - as long as it was good, obviously :p
(I've missed these forums for the few days I've been off ... anyone missed me?? ;) )

i think it would be hilarious if there actually was no EE as Chris_D suggests. It would be ironic if they actually released it on Sept 30 - i just hope no later.

I think you guys are reading into this to much, but i'll jump on the bandwagon.

If it is really imagery with meaning it wouldn't point to the g-man, it'd probably be a reference to gordon becoming this "savior" hero type figure to free the people of city 17. It's kind of hinted at in the apartment seen when that woman is crying about "what are we going to do? don't worry we'll think of something..."

of course most video games have the character you play as the hero so this really isn't anything new...

Fenric said:
I still say even more now that it was the signs with the 30 speed limit on, 30, 30th september.

I dunno Fenric, I think the sign probably said "Speed Limit 30" because it's a curvy road on the side of a cliff overlooking the ocean. The speed limit couldn't very well be 65, could it? :rolling:

Back