Oxygen, Poisonous?

FatCombine

Reaction score
I know this was discussed (Or something similar) a WHILE back but just to make sure...

I've been speculating about this for awhile. About those Combine soldier gasmasks. I'm thinking that maybe it is used to filter out Oxygen since it might be harmful to breathe for them. The reason for this might be that (It's just my theory) the Human-Alien combination may have some sort of 'side-effect' which somehow caused the Lungs ( Or whatever the Combine soldiers might have. ) to reject Oxygen and rely on Co2 or some other gas in the atmosphere instead.

By the way, I wrote this thread assuming the Combine Soldiers were Hybrids.

Anyone else have any other theories about those Gasmasks? You know, what does it Filter... etc.

This might be true but I doubt the gas they need is CO2 since there is a larger abundunce of that in our atmosphere than O2.

I've also wondered about it. Another possibility I see is that the combine fears chemical attacks. I imagine that there was likely a good deal of chemical warfare when they seemingly whomped on the entire planet. So nerve agents and gases might be a favored weapon of the resistence.

Its not to filter what comes in, but what comes out! Combine have VERY bad breath! *Eww yuck* :)

Maybe they have gasmasks just because they look cool?

Originally posted by Lyrids
This might be true but I doubt the gas they need is CO2 since there is a larger abundunce of that in our atmosphere than O2.

The autosphere consists of 21% Oxygen and 0.02% Cardbon Dioxide.

Yeah, I just said Co2 for the heck of it. But, heres another possibility. Maybe the Combine Soldiers are VERY vulnerable to airborne Viruses or Bacteria? Since Combining Aliens and Humans may have weakened or totally cleared the immune system since the two may have conflicted with each other?

Originally posted by Feath
The autosphere consists of 21% Oxygen and 0.02% Cardbon Dioxide.
Dammit my fault, I meant Nitrogen. Maybe you're right then.

This thread reminds me of other speculation such as the different colors of combine being different factions altogether. I remember someone saying that the black masked ones are somehow different from the white-masked ones.

Well some of the grunts in HL1 and opposing force wore gasmasks, so maybe it's just protocol.

its probably just because it looks cool :)

We had our normal Special ops then we had our berret wearing Spec. Ops.
Kinda the same thing they doing with the white and black mask thing IMO.

Maybe the Combine Soldiers are VERY vulnerable to airborne Viruses or Bacteria? Since Combining Aliens and Humans may have weakened or totally cleared the immune system since the two may have conflicted with each other?

That actully doesn't seem too far fetched.

Dunno where i heard it, but it was that the SAS wear gas masks to intimidate people

i like the idea of them being very suseptable to airbourne viruses, pretty cool, but i think its probably just protocol/

Originally posted by Lyrids

hahahahhahaha..that is the funniest thing I've read all day.

WOW.

This is almost as bad as the girl on the talk show who said the largest country in northamerica is Asia.

Originally posted by DrEvil
hahahahhahaha..that was the funniest thing I've read all day.

WOW.

This is almost as bad as the girl on the talk show who said the largest country in northamerica is Asia.
I ****ed up you've done it before too. I then corrected myself. I know this stuff I just made a mistake. I'm not dumb enough to say something like what the girl said.

hahahahhahaha..that is the funniest thing I've read all day.

WOW.

Well if we keep cutting down the rainforests etc. At the same rate this will probably be true in a few 100 years.

Maybe the combine uses some chemical weapons or even just tear gas or whatever. Many current special forces use gasmasks. I read that the SAS uses them partially because they are intimidating as well, to make people surrender. Im from US so ya know, it's not like I know for a fact.

Maybe they wannabe a darth Vader :borg:

*sccchhhhh* look its freeman *scccchhhh*

heh sorry that offended you.
It didn't offend me I just thought it was dumb that you still posted that even after I apologized and corrected myself.

What did you expect DrEvil?

Anyway, wouldn't it be more difficult to see and maneuver with a gasmask on, i think that camo-paint would be just as intimidating.

Originally posted by Animal
What did you expect DrEvil?

Anyway, wouldn't it be more difficult to see and maneuver with a gasmask on, i think that camo-paint would be just as intimidating.
I think that gas masks are scary because normally you can't see the persons eyes in modern gas masks, they just look like big dark circles. They're also irregularly shaped, they don't resemble anything human, which frightens a lot of people.

Crap i'm becoming a flamer/troll. Must cease and desist.

I suppose i probably would shat my pants if some men with gasmasks on burst into my house.

Imagine if they wore them huge black contacts though, that would make me shat and piss my pants.:cheese:

Now i wonder tis...
Why was adrian and some other soldiers + black ops wearing gas masks?

Maybe its just there uniform or maybe they are really butt ugly

but i think the reason for the masks are just like for the reason in HL1

Originally posted by Da Dude
Now i wonder tis...
Why was adrian and some other soldiers + black ops wearing gas masks?

Maybe its just there uniform or maybe they are really butt ugly

but i think the reason for the masks are just like for the reason in HL1
That sounds like the most plausible explanation, that they're just for show. But let us have our fun ;(

Well, it made more sense in Black Mesa. If I were sent in there as a soldier, I'd take a gas mask, too.

Originally posted by RakuraiTenjin
Well, it made more sense in Black Mesa. If I were sent in there as a soldier, I'd take a gas mask, too.

And Lots and Lots of guns n' stuff.

Wonder why they sent in the assasins/black ops. Was it because gordon was pwning the normal grunts:cheese:

Hmmm, they nuked black mesa didn't they. Thats so cool, because it's exactly waht the government would do to cover all the loose ends.

the gasmasks they are wearing appear to be based off the bulgarian 1982 PMG mask.

Personally i don't think its about not being able to breath O2. Considering the xen critters were so easily able to breath in the air in hl1.

I am more willing to agree with the intimiation factor/standard issue/gas countermeasures line of thought

omg... the threads get worst and worst. Please have an innteligent freind read your rambling before posting ANTHING!

what the hell are you talking about?

and its spelled intelligent, not innteligent

You know what they say about people in glass houses who want to throw stones, right?

Originally posted by Da Dude
Maybe they wannabe a darth Vader :borg:

*sccchhhhh* look its freeman *scccchhhh*

LOL, best line of the day!

ever read war of the worlds? in that book, the martians all died because they were succeptible to earth bacteria that they had no resistance to...so i like that theory:D also kinda reminds me of how the spanish settlers came to the new world, gave all the natives smallpox and bubonic plague and whatnot, killing off something like 90% of some native groups, without getting any crazy "new world" diseases besides syphilis.

I recon it's probably for protection (gas, bio attacks etc) and for the pschological fear factor. If you are herding people up etc its better if they are scared of you :) Gas maks make people appear less human and stuff (technical definition there) so that is probably why, well I think. Possibly oxygen is poisonous to them, hell it is poisonous to humans at a high enough partial pressure (not something you need to worry bout less you scuba diving...or the atmosphere suddenly multiplies its pressure about 7 times). But its probably the usual special forces thing and wearing gas masks. Who knows, maybe the combine guys feel 'cool' when wearing a gas mask, or maybe they are really ugly and need to hide their faces cause of the shame. I go with a paper bag as its easier and has better ventilation, but to each their own.

Back