PC Gamer UK - Half-Life 2 Review.

me happy with 95% ! (if tru, is a a staff in pc gamer?)

Is that score confirmed? The guy who posted it doesn't seem to be a person who works for PCG. Or maybe I'm just being dumb here.

i don't see any official post from a pcgamer staffmember that regards a score, just regular forum members.

The post was done by craigp who is a staff writer (I believe) on PC Gamer. http://forum.pcgamer.co.uk is where you need to be at.

The announcement was actually done by Mark Donald, the editor.

The one that made the thread, I would think that its a normal member too but its not.

I hope that it was just a regular member that posted those scores, I would be dissapointed if it only got 95%.

Nex321 said:
The one that made the thread, I would think that its a normal member too but its not.

I hope that it was just a regular member that posted those scores, I would be dissapointed if it only got 95%.
ONLY 95% :rolleyes: 95% is almost as good as the original Half-Life.
Come on guys, u cant be disappointed by a 95% score, seriously wake up.

Guys, I think this is only speculation. The original Half Life got a 95% or even 96% score and they're wondering if this one will surpass it.

It read the whole thread but imo no official score was given.

yea 95% is insanely good for hl2, especially for a game that probably gets negative bias because of its delays + a very anticipated game, the reviewers usually are negatively biased with that as well.

Bah, from what I can tell that is just some guy posting some speculation. I don't think those scores are offiicial.

Yeah. I dunno about it actually getting 95%...it looks like that's just a guess. I can't see why you guys would be disappointed should it score a 95%...just 1% lower than HL1. Hell...I'd be happy with 90%. It's still a good score.

Hey all, I'm a forumite from pcg; that 95% was just someone speculating, it's not the real score.

[got this account from bugmenot.com]

Holy shit, what the hell is wrong with you people?

95% is a god damn amazing achievement, but you act as if it's some kind of consolation prize. Some of you seem to have ridiculously high standards.

Far Cry got 94% (is that correct?) and it was a crappy game(ok not crappy but definitly not worth that score), I would expect atleast 98% from half-life 2. From the looks of it, it seems like its the best game created.

Far Cry got 94% (is that correct?) and it was a crappy game, I would expect atleast 98% from half-life 2
Nope, it got 91, or something.

Nex321 said:
Far Cry got 94% (is that correct?) and it was a crappy game(ok not crappy but definitly not worth that score), I would expect atleast 98% from half-life 2. From the looks of it, it seems like its the best game created.

errrrrr, farcry was amazing, except the multiplayer (i hate deathmatch)

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:
O hope they don't take points off for being delayed so many times
Yeah that would be seriously stupid. That's the same (in a sense) as when a teacher gives you MINUS points for writing a faulty answer on a test! God I hate that.

Well, they didn't. They gave it 92% (or was it 91%)? And that was Kieron Gillen, who loves all games that follow the Looking Glass ethos - I'm sure most of PCG wouldn't have given it such a high score. Besides, like any review, it's only one man's opinion and though I didn't agree with his opinion, I respected him for staying true to it in his review, in the face of a lot of disgruntled Deus Ex fans calling for a much lower score.

And PCG won't have taken points off HL2 for it being delayed, what do you take them for? Personally, I can't wait to read the review and will be down my local WH Smith's first thing in the morning on October 5th to buy the mag. Just can't wait!

\o/

Dabs said:
Well, they didn't. They gave it 92% (or was it 91%)? And that was Kieron Gillen, who loves all games that follow the Looking Glass ethos - I'm sure most of PCG wouldn't have given it such a high score. Besides, like any review, it's only one man's opinion and though I didn't agree with his opinion, I respected him for staying true to it in his review, in the face of a lot of disgruntled Deus Ex fans calling for a much lower score.

And PCG won't have taken points off HL2 for it being delayed, what do you take them for? Personally, I can't wait to read the review and will be down my local WH Smith's first thing in the morning on October 5th to buy the mag. Just can't wait!

\o/

I'm sure I read in one of the issues that they get together to do decide the score of games. Like when they awarded Half-Life 96%, they actually got together and discussed if it deserved that.

Alec_85 said:
Yeah that would be seriously stupid. That's the same (in a sense) as when a teacher gives you MINUS points for writing a faulty answer on a test! God I hate that.

In a review they rate the quality of the game, they don't give grades for making the release dates. A faulty answer on a test is bad for the overall quality of the test, a delay doesn't affect the quality of the game. Weird comparison.

If they acted like that, any game from Blizzard would get grades in the fifties and every EA game would be in the nineties.

And in effect, they'd be encouraging developers to rush games. Which is not a good thing.

hey I'm sorry if this has been asked but im not reading through 7 pages. Is the U.s. version going to have the review as well?

slider3005 said:
hey I'm sorry if this has been asked but im not reading through 7 pages. Is the U.s. version going to have the review as well?

That would be a "maybe". :)

Kieron gillen gave deus ex 2 such a high score because Warren Spector once said that Kieron "was the industry"

half life 2 will get more than 95% from pc zone and pc gamer or I will eat a crowbar

ne-waller said:
Kieron gillen gave deus ex 2 such a high score because Warren Spector once said that Kieron "was the industry"

half life 2 will get more than 95% from pc zone and pc gamer or I will eat a crowbar

Not quite. KG gave Deus Ex 2 95% because he is extremely passionate about the DX universe amongst other things. While I don't agree with such a high score, it's far from the product of brown-nosing.

For a second time, Kieron didn't give DX2 95%, he gave it 92%. And it was because that score reflected his opinion of it, no other reason.

Steven Q Urkle said:
can you tell us if it bombed or not?

I don't think after all this time that that is possible. HL2 will kick huge amounts of ass. The exact amount of ass to be kicked, however, is yet to be determined.

By the way, you have the best name/avatar/sig I have ever seen.

Even though I live in the US, my local Hastings carries the US and UK versions of PCG :) I can't wait!

-Frosty- said:
Even though I live in the US, my local Hastings carries the US and UK versions of PCG :) I can't wait!

Let's hope there's enough copies for everyone so a battle doesn't break out.

Ho ho ho. Battle of Hastings, get it?

I'll get me coat.

Feath said:

I'll get me coat.
:LOL:

I'll be waiting at the doors at 5:30 in the morning, ready to fight for my copy, only to find an abuncance of magazines waiting inside :p

Feath said:

I'll get me coat.

Educated humor is the greatest :)

PvtRyan said:
In a review they rate the quality of the game, they don't give grades for making the release dates. A faulty answer on a test is bad for the overall quality of the test, a delay doesn't affect the quality of the game. Weird comparison.

If they acted like that, any game from Blizzard would get grades in the fifties and every EA game would be in the nineties.
Well giving minus point in any scenario is wrong :D For whatever reason. And if they would do that to Blizzard & EA then they WOULD be stupid so my argument still stand kinda ;) Never mind :p

A voice in my head tells me that itll get probably 100%, I dont see why it wouldnt the damn thing took 6 years to make. And allow me to remind you that hl1 only took 2 and it got 96%, whoa if they can do that good in 2 years what the hell is in store for us after 6? :rolling: :bounce: :O :thumbs:

mchammer75040 said:
A voice in my head tells me that itll get probably 100%, I dont see why it wouldnt the damn thing took 6 years to make. And allow me to remind you that hl1 only took 2 and it got 96%, whoa if they can do that good in 2 years what the hell is in store for us after 6? :rolling: :bounce: :O :thumbs:

Have you ever heard of Daikatana?

mchammer75040 said:

It's all in the source :p (and VALVe delaying things on purpose maybe :O)

Yombi said:
It's all in the source :p (and VALVe delaying things on purpose maybe :O)
I love that people still say Valve delayed it on purpose. It's just so amusingly ludicrous.

And I'm sure HL1 took longer than 2 years to make?

Back