PC Gaming vs. Console Gaming

Okay, I'm tired of quoting war. Plus, you're acting like an asshole.

MY ARGUMENT SINCE THE BEGGINING: Console hardware (hence graphics) becomes dated because you cannot upgrade it.

SUPPORT: While console specifications were fairly good at the time, console users have not been able to improve their system since. However, the average gaming PC today has a 2.8 ghz processor and a 128 or over videocard and 512 mb of memory, about 4 times the processing-power of a console. The hardware that is not availbe in any console to date can be used in the PC, hence, the PC has a hardware advantage over the console since it is moddable.

EVIDENCE:

DOOM 3, as a PC to Console port had to be heavily modified in order to work on aging hardware. (source: http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/doom-3/589014p1.html) Same with Half-life 2.

ADDITIONAL SUPPORT:
Play half-life 2 with everything on high, then play brothers in arms (for the pc, look for the demo) with everything on high. Both are supposed to be extremely good-looking game, but try playing them both on the PC, the difference is noticeable.

Quite frankly, I don't understand how you can't admit console hardware is dated.

YOUR ARGUMENT SO FAR: ogm shutup fanboy lol.

TheSomeone said:
You haven't even played it on PC so f ck off.

oh you're definately not being an asshole here.. *sarcasm*

TheSomeone said:
MY ARGUMENT SINCE THE BEGGINING: Console hardware (hence graphics) becomes dated because you cannot upgrade it.

*looks around*

no one is challenging this argument. :rolling:

TheSomeone said:
SUPPORT: While console specifications were fairly good at the time, console users have not been able to improve their system since. However, the average gaming PC today has a 2.8 ghz processor and a 128 or over videocard and 512 mb of memory, about 4 times the processing-power of a console. The hardware that is not availbe in any console to date can be used in the PC, hence, the PC has a hardware advantage over the console since it is moddable.

you have a point saying that the PC is upgradeable. but comparing the two and saying one is 4 times as fast is a very newbish mistake. we all know that equal hardware on console and PC, that the console will be able to run a game faster because its more streamlied for that very console. christ, you would think a pc fanboy would understand this piece of information before engaging in a discussion of this type.

TheSomeone said:
EVIDENCE:

DOOM 3, as a PC to Console port had to be heavily modified in order to work on aging hardware. (source: http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/doom-3/589014p1.html) Same with Half-life 2.

and i care because? my only point was that it doesn't look crappy compared to PC which is what you claimed.

TheSomeone said:
ADDITIONAL SUPPORT:
Play half-life 2 with everything on high, then play brothers in arms (for the pc, look for the demo) with everything on high. Both are supposed to be extremely good-looking game, but try playing them both on the PC, the difference is noticeable.

yes it is. because they are different games. although halflife2 will look better to me. what does this prove? nothing. except that current pc graphics are better than current console graphics. something i already agree with. so nice going.

TheSomeone said:
Quite frankly, I don't understand how you can't admit console hardware is dated.

i admit its a bit dated. but what you can't admit is that it doesn't look crappy. brothers in arms on an HDTV looks far from crappy. but being a pc gamer fanboy, everything is black and white to you.

no one is challenging this argument. :rolling:

Ultimate proof all you want is to personally insult me, you don't even know what my argument was.

Yeah I've been an asshole, but at least I don't hold myself up to high regard like you do. An arrogant asshole is twice as worse.

I'm not coming back to this thread, it reaks.

somethign that PC fanboys dont want to admit is that PC hardware get outdated too like a console, and sure more PC hardware come more often cuz is just one hardware when a console is procesor,and videocard and all that, when the PC is just one videocard or one procesor
also remenber that the latest game of the console will look better that the first ones,for example compare a launch title of the ps2 compare it to one of the latest,you will see that it look better

or maybe cuz many things are true?

Sulkdodds said:
Seriously though. Look at a console - look at the raw processing power. A PS2 has less raw power than a computer I bought late in 1999. But it can manage infinitely better graphics. I mean, a 300mhz mac is actually the equivalent of like a 1ghz PC.
wtf :LOL:

TheSomeone said:
Ultimate proof all you want is to personally insult me, you don't even know what my argument was.

Yeah I've been an asshole, but at least I don't hold myself up to high regard like you do. An arrogant asshole is twice as worse.

wow. just wow. yes thats a good idea

Yeah, wtf? It's true though. Okay, maybe not to such an extent. But the fact remains that a PS2 can run stuff my old computer, with a faster processor speed, would never be able to run.

Consoles - there are just too few decent pc games.

Why not enjoy them both? If you can afford it, thats what ya' should do.
Buy the PC games that will show off the PC strenghts, buy the cosole games that you can't get on PC, then you're happy...

or not...

Innervision961 said:
Why not enjoy them both? If you can afford it, thats what ya' should do.
Buy the PC games that will show off the PC strenghts, buy the cosole games that you can't get on PC, then you're happy...

or not...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed, Innervision961, but this topic is asking which we prefer. I think.

It's rare that a pc game has me waiting for its release in anticipation. It's even rarer that one keeps me glued to the screen for more than a few weeks.

Now we have consoles. I've simply not enough money or time to play all the consoles games out at the moment that I'd like to. I can't count the number of promising console titles that are in production. It's here that you'll find the greatest amount of innovation, creativity, lastability, challenge and solid gameplay.

Now that I put posey on my ignore list I'm back :D.

<RJMC> said:
somethign that PC fanboys dont want to admit is that PC hardware get outdated too like a console, and sure more PC hardware come more often cuz is just one hardware when a console is procesor,and videocard and all that, when the PC is just one videocard or one procesor
also remenber that the latest game of the console will look better that the first ones,for example compare a launch title of the ps2 compare it to one of the latest,you will see that it look better

Something that YOU won't admit is that the average PC today is much much faster than current gen consoles, even when I have factual support for it. DOOM 3 had to be _optimized_ for a reason, because consoles are slower. If they had directly ported the game, it wouldn't have even worked!

or maybe cuz many things are true?

If that makes you sleep at night.

Let's recapitulate (again).

In my first post, I mentioned the ONLY CON in the console is that the hardware gets dated. When comparing the average PC today and the average console, the PC will be faster. I don't care if the games run slower since its running other tasks. The numbers are higher, and that was my point, and you cannot deny that. Most gaming computers today have at least 3 times the processing power of an XBOX. Now how does mentioning ONE CON make me a PC fanboy (note that I also mentioned a PC CON), while your refusing the console's sole con not make you a console fanboy?

I'm not the only one to feel that way either. Gaming writers agree with me! (Source: http://internetgames.about.com/library/weekly/aa021603a.htm)

Console Disadvantages
Although sealing everything into one unit does keep it simple, when some of the components inside the box become dated there's no way to solve the problem without replacing the entire console. In most cases, upgrades that could prolong the life of the system are not an option.

And btw, PC has more games (same source: http://internetgames.about.com/library/weekly/aa021603a.htm)

PC Advantages
One of the biggest advantages the PC has over consoles right now is that there are a lot more games available for the PC than there are for consoles

TheSomeone said:
And btw, PC has more games

But how many of the recent ones are worth playing?

This is the trouble. There was a time when great pc titles seemed to come out every month. Titles that pushed gaming forward with new ideas and concepts. This doesn't happen any more though. (i'm being a little unfair - pc gaming has picked up a little recently. Rome, WoW and HL2 being the more noteable exceptions. But on the whole it's still stale, especially when compared to console gaming)

Warbie said:

This is the trouble. There was a time when great pc titles seemed to come out every month. Titles that pushed gaming forward with new ideas and concepts. This doesn't happen any more though. (i'm being a little unfair - pc gaming has picked up a little recently. Rome, WoW and HL2 being the more noteable exceptions. But on the whole it's still stale, especially when compared to console gaming)

also that many times the best games on PC are FPS or RTS or mmrpg mostly

for example sure will be very hard to find a game like ninja gaiden,god of war,devil may cry,or another game like that for PC

but PC fanboys start to bash games like that cuz "are console are inmature and for kids"

cuz seriously try to look a very anticipated PC game that is not a FPS,RTS, or MMORPG

also whit the console you feel more free,cuz whit the PC you hav to put it in a desk and all stuff when whit a console you just grab the controller whit your hands and is enough,you can play whatever place not like in a PC where you need a surface to place the keyoard or mouse,but PC fanboys dont aceot that

Am I allowed to call you a console fanboy?

I love consoles. But if you said to me "you can only ever play one format again. You can buy a console every 3 years, or you can buy a PC every 3 years" I know which one I'd choose.

And that's on games alone.

I enjoy playing on a PC and thats all that really matters when it comes to console vs pc which one you gain more enjoyment out of, not specs, not the number of games, just pure 100% enjoyment.

I think you'll find that many pc gamers know what they like and are just happy with more of the same. Many others have no clue about consoles and what games they offer (despite thinking otherwise), their only contact being playing on a brothers/friends machine (who probably have no clue about the 'best' console titles on offer either)). Of course, the latter can be said of many console gamers.

You can't argue that consoles don't cater for far more genres though. For someone who likes variety in their video games, consoles offer it in bucket loads. I'd argue this was also the case for innovation - the pc having gone down the route of rehash after rehash long ago.

It's in gaming communities that pc gaming stands out. I log onto WoW to chat with mates as much as to explore the world. I log onto this site to chat bollox with you guys :), not because HL2 still interests me.

Compare a decent console fan site (http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/index.php? is a good one) with any pc gaming site. The big difference being that the console forum is filled with people talking about the many games they're playing. PC gaming sites usually contain very little discussion about the (few) pc games that are out, and even less about playing them. The general discussion forums are usually full to the brim though (whether this is due to them having bugger all to play is another debate ;)). This is where the real difference is imo.

//edit

<Warbie> said:

In the past year or two: Half-Life 2, Unreal 2004, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes,
Rome: Total War, Warhammer 40k, Splinter Cell Pandora tommorow, Prince of Persia 2, Need for Speed underground 2, battlefield 2... The lsit goes on and on. Sure, the console has a bit more variety, but do you really need it? I can't even afford more than three games on that list.

<RJMC> said:
also that many times the best games on PC are FPS or RTS or mmrpg mostly

How is that a bad thing? :upstare:

for example sure will be very hard to find a game like ninja gaiden,god of war,devil may cry,or another game like that for PC

I agree.

but PC fanboys start to bash games like that cuz "are console are inmature and for kids"

You want to stop using the word fanboy? No one here has said that.

also whit the console you feel more free,cuz whit the PC you hav to put it in a desk and all stuff when whit a console you just grab the controller whit your hands and is enough,you can play whatever place not like in a PC where you need a surface to place the keyoard or mouse,but PC fanboys dont aceot that

First of all, I agree. Second of all, who the hell are you repeatedly reffering to as fanboy?

Warbie said:
I think you'll find that many pc gamers know what they like and are just happy with more of the same. Many others have no clue about consoles and what games they offer (despite thinking otherwise), their only contact being playing on a brothers/friends machine (who probably have no clue about the 'best' console titles on offer either)). Of course, the latter can be said of many console gamers.

You can't argue that consoles don't cater for far more genres though. For someone who likes variety in their video games, consoles offer it in bucket loads. I'd argue this was also the case for innovation - the pc having gone done the route of rehash after rehash long ago.

It's in gaming communities that pc gaming stands out. I log onto WoW to chat with mates as much as to explore the world. I log onto this site to chat bollox with you guys :), not because HL2 still interests me.

Compare a decent console fan site (http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/index.php? is a good one) with any pc gaming site. The big difference being that the console forum is filled with people talking about the many games they're playing. PC gaming sites usually contain very little discussion about the (few) pc games that are out, and even less about playing them. The general discussion forums are usually full to the brim though (whether this is due to them having bugger all to play is another debate ;)). This is where the real difference is imo.

Much, much truth to be found in this post. Pretty much sums up my views on it. And yay for ntsc-uk :D

Of the PC, I'd say it holds the pinnacles of the FPS, RTS and MMO genres. Some feel that this alone is enough to make the PC the king of gaming. PCs also have the internet multiplayer thing sewn up (for now).

On the other hand, consoles offer a huge range of quirky, interesting, original little games. And instead of the internet, they can bring multiplayer joy to a roomful of friends.

So which one you prefer depends on what you want from videogaming. If I was forced to choose, I would probably go with consoles, because I prefer a variety of interesting game ideas over the PC's bleeding-edge tech. But it's obviously down to personal preference.

Summarised, I think PCs offer a narrower range of games, of the very highest technical quality. Meanwhile consoles offer a much wider selection of more 'lo-fi' games.
Depends what you want - focused quality or broader choice.

PC is an elitist console, but if you can offord it, it`s the way to go....

Warbie said:

You can't argue that consoles don't cater for far more genres though. For someone who likes variety in their video games, consoles offer it in bucket loads. I'd argue this was also the case for innovation - the pc having gone down the route of rehash after rehash long ago.

//edit

I knew it wasn't long before Warbie would post something like this (not trying to attack you, but everyone knows you're openly bias towards consoles ;)). Still you raise some good points but consoles are not the best platform for things like innovation and what not. You can't get mods on consoles, you can't get MMORPG's and the only decent FPS that has come out on a console in the last 4 years has been Riddick.

Most of the time consoles are full of average games, more so than computers, because more are in production for consoles than PC's.

And about that rehash - rehash stuff, the console isn't innocent of this at all. How many 2d fighters have their been on consoles? how many 3d fighters that do the same thing? How many sports games? How many Mario Party's? Tony Hawk's? GTA's? Final Fantasy's? (On a completely unrelated topic i find it endlessly ironic that they're up to Final Fantasy 12)

Look at the Resident Evil series. Go to Gamespot.com and use the search function to type in Resident Evil. You'll get 32 matches. Of those 32 matches about 25 of them are scored. Out 25 of them only 2 games have a score above 9.0. 2 out of 32. It's not a very good ratio at all. (I've only played RE4, which is awesome, but it's controls could translate perfectly to the PC)

Type in Warcraft and you get 7 scored results. The lowest 2 are console versions.

Type in Mario and you see 33 scored results. 7 are above 9.0. And this is Nintendo we're talking about. The best developer in the world.

You don't get games like Grim Fandango, World of Warcraft, Freespace 2, System Shock series and Doom on the consoles. And often, if you do, they end up being rather poor compared to their originals.

Very true.

We're not talking about the ratio of good/original/innovative games, though. I'm simply concerned with where i'll find the most - which is on consoles.

The problem with pc gaming is you very rarely get anything but a rehash (and often a poor rehash). This isn't the case with consoles - so many titles are produced that we are still spoilt for choice when it comes to playing something fresh. (who cares if the 1000's of others are crap?)

It comes down to simple numbers. The more games that appear on a system the more decent and original titles you'll find. The fact that the pc only caters for a few genre doesn't help matters much either.

Sparta: 'You don't get games like Grim Fandango, World of Warcraft, Freespace 2, System Shock series and Doom on the consoles.'

I disagree, we get games equally as unique and entertaining as these on consoles. The sad truth is, bar WoW, we don't get games like these on the pc anymore *remembers the golden age of pc gaming - when titles like civ, Fallout, Starcraft, Planescape etc seemed to come out every month*

The pc may get mods, but how many of them are decent? Honestly, how long do you actually spend playing them? I'm not trying to take anything away from the talented mod teams out there (my brother started his career in this way), but when there are so many quality games trying to compete for our attenton it takes a damn good mod to get any sort of playtime. (I think most pc gamers spend time with mods because they've finished their games and have nothing else to play. But then again, i'm just biased :))

//edit

I play day of defeat, Counterstrike, CS:S, will be playing DOD:S. I play red orchastra, I play morrowind with over a dozen of mods... and cant stand it without them. I have minimods playing on overything pretty much. Weapon add ons, new models and the likes keep me into games like ghost recon, rainbow six and all that. Mods play a BIG role in how I play.

And the only genre that pc doesnt really have is sports games.

I am a diehard pc gamer, but I do console a lot. Devil May Cry, Legend of Zelda, ESPN NFL, Kingdom Hearts, Xenosaga... I play a lot of console games. But I absolutely can not stand playing online through a console. I used to think that pc gamers had to deal with a lot of immature brats playing online, but once I hooked up my ps2 to the net I was overwhelmed. I havent touched my network adapter in over 8 months.

I think soon enough consoles will simply become PCs. PC games will never die, they have always been better. Consoles are only popular because they are cheaper. But that doesnt mean they dont get quality games. Eventually everything will be multiplatform, and it will happen pretty soon. PC will have better graphics and more options with easier access, and it will always be that way. Its just that you have to be able to afford it, and many people simply cant.

TheSomeone said:
In the past year or two: Half-Life 2, Unreal 2004, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes,
Rome: Total War, Warhammer 40k, Splinter Cell Pandora tommorow, Prince of Persia 2, Need for Speed underground 2, battlefield 2... The lsit goes on and on. Sure, the console has a bit more variety, but do you really need it? I can't even afford more than three games on that list.

well infact yeah,more variety more chances to hav more good games

[/QUOTE]How is that a bad thing? :upstare:[/QUOTE]

well cuz you say that are more variety in PC games and as I said is not true

cuz dont you think boring play the same type of game over and over again?for example a new cool FPS whit this and that,and then another new game released,another FPS and the thing go on

but looks like many PC users dont care about that cuz they care more of the graphics that the game,for example here you show a trailer of a inovative and very anticipated game but it dont hav the latest graphics and everyone go "looks like crap" so more varity? Pc users will just go for the most realistic looking game

*remembers the golden age of pc gaming - when titles like civ, Fallout, Starcraft, Planescape etc seemed to come out every month*
Uhh yeah... Starcraft is still more than alive....
. it infact is still at one of the best stages of it's life and we have finally hit the final age of map making. Being able to edit every single thing without a mod in starcraft. We could change unit names in realtime(and everything below is in realtime), possibly terrain, max health, what weapon they use, there sprite, there size, there transport size, there sight range, what spells they have, the range of there attack, detecting upgrades, detecting unit hp, allowing shields for every unit, changing locations size and where they are, messing with map size, and sooooooo much more.

So what im trying to say is, there is still a large part of the Golden Pc Age still alive.

That's not what I was saying. People may still be playing Starcraft, but it is now an old game. Rather than having eyes fixed on the past, wouldn't you rather the here and now was fourishing (as it still is with consoles)?

I disagree that consoles are popular because they're cheaper, Krynn72. They're popular because they offer a greater variety of better games. Sure, if you're into fps/rts/mmorpg and little else, then the pc is probably enough. But if you're into anything else (sports, adventure, platform, beatemup, racing, arcade, puzzle, party, single player rpg .... etc) then it's consoles all the way.

I'm not attacking pc gaming here, just recognising its obvious deficiencies - namely, lack of variety. However, despite how insular and conservative pc gaming is in comparison, it can't be denied that it excels in what it does do. I always know where to turn when I need fill of online carnage, and little in this hobby is as exciting as playing in organised online competition.

//edit

It's not just the games either, but the many 1000's of people who form the communities. There may be far more console gamers around, but console gaming feels 'smaller' to me ........ something I experience on my own or with 3 other friends in the same room. pc gaming is different, and makes you feel part of something much bigger.

Warbie said:
The problem with pc gaming is you very rarely get anything but a rehash (and often a poor rehash). This isn't the case with consoles - so many titles are produced that we are still spoilt for choice when it comes to playing something fresh. (who cares if the 1000's of others are crap?)
Did you even READ my post?
For god sakes i'm not even gonna bother.

Sparta said:
Did you even READ my post?
For god sakes i'm not even gonna bother.

I did - hence that post ;)

Did you read mine?

(my point was that it doesn't bother me that there are many console rehashes, as there are still plenty of original titles to choose from. Not so on the pc)

Sparta said:
You don't get games like Grim Fandango, World of Warcraft, Freespace 2, System Shock series and Doom on the consoles. And often, if you do, they end up being rather poor compared to their originals.

There you have it. The genres that the PC excels at - shooters, MMOs, adventure games (back when they still happened) and simulation-esque experiences. You're right, you probably can't get games like that on console.

But here's a list of innovative console experiences you can't find on PC:

Vietiful Joe
Katamari Damacii
Pikmin 2
Ico / Shadow of the Colossus
Samba de Amigo
Wario Ware Twisted/Touched etc
Smash Bros Melee
Killer_7

You may not think these games are any good, and would prefer to play the very best of the FPS, MMO, RTS genres found on PC.
But to say consoles lack innovation compared to PC seems a bit off.

Not that listing games will get us anywhere! :D

As for sequel-itis: consoles do indeed host FFXII, MarioParty 8 and a whole bunch of rehash franchises.
But although the PC doesn't have such an obvious sequel fetish, the PC's games tend to stay within fewer select genres overall. So although new PC games may not be actual sequels, they usually tread very familiar FPS/RTS/MMO ground. Consoles, meanwhile, have a shitload of sequels, but host a wider cross-section of genres.
Right?

Well said. (Nice to come by someone who rates Samba De Amigo on a pc forum :))

I'm also glad you mentioned Killer 7. I'm finding this game a little clunky and slow at times. However, despite the simple controls/puzzles/combat there is something very original about Killer 7 - and not just its visual style. A very unique gaming experience, and more than the sum of its parts as a result.

Disgaea is another good example. A traditional tactical rpg at heart - yet it feels completely new and fresh and just screams quality. It's this freshness that pc gaming lacks.

Look at the number of diverse titles available on this generation of consoles alone. Genres are being blended together and new ones are born. Original concepts are constantly churned out and tired concepts are being rejuvenated with a spin and a splash of new colour.

With pc gaming we get the same solid concepts time after time. Even the more promising titles in developement are treading a very familiar path. Take FEAR, hardly a lazy rehash, but still more of the same nonetheless. I'm sure it'll be good fun, but will it offer anything new? Will it it have the 'wow factor' that got you into gaming in the first place? I doubt it - fun for 2 weeks, then uninstaled and forgotten.

//edit
Now take the new Zelda. Many would consider this to be nothing but a rehash. However, despite it being the nth title in the series I bet it has as much originality, creativity and polish as any pc title of recent times. (A sequal doesn't make a 'rehash' imo, lack of originality does)

buying major upgrades every 2-3 years, and you won't be running the best games at highest detail for long.

no one claimed that the xbox360 will have games that always look as good or better than pc games before the next console comes out. but that still doesn't mean the xbox360 won't be a good buy.[/QUOTE]

Let's see I can happily play hl2 on max settings at 1024x768 with a remarkably good frame rate (around 60-70) with my Radeon 9600 pro. I can also play any newly released game superbly with no performance issues. In the next few months leading to christmas I plan on upgrading my cpu to a 3500+ and video card to a x800 xt pe or above. (note - Never buy shrink wrap machines, buy and build them yourself you save a load of money and won't have any of that pre-determined compatibility crap.)

Ofcourse the X360 will be a good buy I was merley going on your earlier statement about the cost of upgrading a pc rather than owning a console. The point is with decent tech you can achieve the same level of quality, sure it's not top of the line quality for say U3 but it's pretty damn close and even closer or above when compared to the console variant.

Warbie said:
Agreed, Innervision961, but this topic is asking which we prefer. I think.

It's rare that a pc game has me waiting for its release in anticipation. It's even rarer that one keeps me glued to the screen for more than a few weeks.

Now we have consoles. I've simply not enough money or time to play all the consoles games out at the moment that I'd like to. I can't count the number of promising console titles that are in production. It's here that you'll find the greatest amount of innovation, creativity, lastability, challenge and solid gameplay.

The problem with PC gaming is that new and innovative titles come out in cluster not once per month for example. Now with consoles devloping your game engine is vastly easier than a PC so in effect console games are easier to make. With this in mind they are more developers able to make games for consoles than PC's so clearly we are going to have a lot of good titles for the console. Hence I agree with you.

Warbie said:

I'm eagerly awaiting Dungeon Siege 2, Never Winter Nights 2, Gothic 3, Elder Scrolls IV. Note I didn't mention Fear or Stalker because frankly those games don't stand up to hl2 in anyway from my standpoint. Oh and Age of Empires 3 looks good.

Warbie said:
Disgaea is another good example. A traditional tactical rpg at heart - yet it feels completely new and fresh and just screams quality. It's this freshness that pc gaming lacks.

Disgaea was the game that peaked my interest in buying a PS2. Yes I support Sony and all their adventures but the PS2 seemed flawed to me from the very beggining. Well it's hard to say that now but you get the picture. Anywhoo anyone who badmouths Disgaea needs a kick in the arse.

disagree that consoles are popular because they're cheaper,
*Goes up to most of the people in his town which are console fans*
*Asks them how good there pc is*
*Usual Response: My Pc sucks, and can't play any of the new games*
Yeah.........
Most people from where I live, arn't rich..most people are console gamers where I live. Most people give that response.

Warbie I think when Next-Gen consoles start rolling around...unique games coming out every month and will massively drop for these consoles. Why? Harder to create games? More funding if your a smaller company starting off with a idea that could go good or bad. More time to create games.

Note I didn't mention Fear or Stalker because frankly those games don't stand up to hl2 in anyway from my standpoint. Oh and Age of Empires 3 looks good.
Fear dosn't seem the best from my eyes......but Stalker :).

Because people in your area aren't rich and are console gamers does not mean they would prefer a pc, Minerel (that's just flawed inductive reasoning ;)). What if they like to play a broad spectrum of games? (more than the relatively few the pc has to offer)

I hear what you're saying about upgrading, Kyo. It's not necessary to buy the latest and greatest hardware to enjoy pc gaming, but you do have to keep up. When I compare Resident Evil 4 on the gc, with it's very modest specs, to the most recent pc titles and hardware I can't help wonder what i'm keeping up for.

Rather than having to upgrade every 2 years wouldn't it be nicer to get the most out of the engines and hardware we all have now? I could happily play 'Source quality' titles for the next 3 years. More time on gameplay and less on visuals would do pc gaming a world of good imo. (this isn't because I begrudge spening money on gaming, it's becauee I want smething back. U3 hasn't impressed me in the slightest. It's just pictures. Who cares what it looks like if the engine is just wrapped around a hollow game?)

Warbie said:
I did - hence that post ;)

Did you read mine?

(my point was that it doesn't bother me that there are many console rehashes, as there are still plenty of original titles to choose from. Not so on the pc)
God, you are so hypocritical and bias i'm not even going to continue arguing.

Because people in your area aren't rich and are console gamers does not mean they would prefer a pc,
... I'm saying because PEOPLE CAN'T AFFORD A PC's, they buy consoles and use older PC's for things like Im, music, etc...

U3 hasn't impressed me in the slightest. It's just pictures. Who cares what it looks like if the engine is just wrapped around a hollow game?)
You just said Unreal 3, which isn't announced so then you mean Unreal Engine 3 which I would think would impress me considering it's an engine not a game and considernig how many games have licensed it(and all the stuff I have read on it)...I would think it would be impressive. You said the engine wasn't impressive... which well..ur not a developer you don't have a say.

Now you may mean UT2007, well hey...the upcomming Zelda hasn't impressed me, Aftermath hasn't impressed me yet, STalker hasn't impressed me, No Xbox 360 game has impressed me, Elder Scrolls 4 hasn't impressed me, infact...any game I havn't played has not impressed me yet... well according to your logic it hasn't if this is the case.
UT2007 I would think that it's Bot AI would be impressive considering how much Epic is focusing on that with commands and such and how people who have previewed the game have also been impressed by when you ask for cover they give it to you and things like that.

Warbie you are a console gamer at heart, and why do you stick with pc games? We don't have as many creative and oringal titles. Why? Why? Why not just play console games? Why even bother to argue with us? Why not just stay on your console?

I play PC because guess what, if I would have stuck with consoles I can assure you I most likly wouldn't be writing my own forum in php\mysql at 14 and already done a little in c++.

For me, PC has more than offered me games but possibly a path to a programmer, which is something I'm so happy for. I don't just stick for the PC just for the games, but for the experince. Am I ever gonna learn how to code any game by sitting down on a console? No, I wont.

Knowing the In's and Out's of a Pc hardware wise, and learning how to get around XP and get past bugs...thats going to help me in my future.

Sparta said:
God, you are so hypocritical and bias i'm not even going to continue arguing.

Calm down. I made an effort to address your points. If there's something i've missed then point it out. (i've re-read both mine and your posts and honestly have no clue what you're getting at)

Warbie said:
Read this sentence and then read my post again.

Those are all fair points Minerel. I completely agree that pcs offer so much more than gaming, and was only comparing consoles and pcs in the context of gaming.

I also meant the U3 engine btw. Having played one too many beautiful looking, but completely souless, titles I find it hard to get excited about new technology/engines.

I don't consider myself a console gamer either - just a games fan. Many of my evening over the last few months have been spent playng WoW (that game brings out the obsessive compulsive in all of us) and i've been playing in various rtcw/et/cs/cs:s leagues for the last 6-7 years. My brother works for Creative Assembly and i've 3 friends who work for Lionhead. Needless to say i'm very interested in pc gaming and, despite how my posts often sound, am very much a fan.

Sparta said:
Read this sentence and then read my post again.

:) Look, reading it again won't help me make sense of this.

Your point seems to be that there are many, if not more, sequals/rehashes on consoles too. Right? Maybe i'm reading the wrong post.

Back