People still saying Pay for multiplayer

S

Spitty3

Sorry to bother you all but people are wtill saying you have to pay for the multiplayer. or is that just if you havnt got the game?
or are they scabby? :flame:
Thanks Spitty:D

There will be 2 options

1) Pay per month for a subscription to Steam. This would be the equivalent to "renting" VALVe games. Instead of dropping $50 for one game, you get access to all of VALVe's games instantly for $10 (or whatever the cost will be). Looking at this plan, it's not a great idea right now. Assuming VALVe starts rolling out product after product, it could end up being a good deal in the long run.

2) Pay for HL2/VALVe products the traditional way. Go to the store, buy it, head home, install it, put your cdkey in, and bam, you have access to all the games you own at no extra charge online. This way is what most people will probably purchase HL2, it'll be no different than how HL is right now.

Thanks Alot ;( Youve made my day!
i guess there not scabby :p
3 cheers to valve :p

Man am I relieved, that would suck if you had to pay to play online. (Shivers) Half-life SP is all I'll be playing for the first 27 years anyway so it's all good. :)

I just got an idea. Regarding the delay and the pay-per-month plan, what if HL2's delay had something to do with TF2's progress? I think maybe VALVe delayed HL2 until TF2/CS2 is/are farther along in the development process to make the pay-to-play option more reasonable.

Of course it doesn't explain the SDK delay, but I just wanted to throw that idea out to the community.

Heh. *whispers*Win the IGN sweepstakes and get a free HL2*whispers*I did*whispers*

SubKamran said:
Heh. *whispers*Win the IGN sweepstakes and get a free HL2*whispers*I did*whispers*

Nice... but I don't have to worry about the cost of the game, that's not even relavent to my HL2 stress. I will get the game with a loaded revolver pointed at the clerk. ;)

vegeta897 said:
I will get the game with a loaded revolver pointed at the clerk. ;)
You mean... you WOULD if you had to... right?

Right?

:O

Please don't hurt me.

I would never pay monthly for a game. only if it was like 2 dollars a month But it must be a very fun game that makes me play 24/7 lol

He@t! said:
I would never pay monthly for a game. only if it was like 2 dollars a month But it must be a very fun game that makes me play 24/7 lol

Never played an MMORPG then? The only game I plan on paying monthly for is World of Warcraft.. looks like so much fun

Indeed WoW does.. far too many people don't understand the value of pay per month games though, or at least with MMORPGs.. but there are still plenty who do enjoy it :D

Scenario. I buy HL2 in the store the MP and SP pack. Then CS2 comes out wil I have to sign up on Steam to buy CS2 through steam or will I be able to download it without steam, or will it be in the store as an expansion pack?

bgesley426 said:
Scenario. I buy HL2 in the store the MP and SP pack. Then CS2 comes out wil I have to sign up on Steam to buy CS2 through steam or will I be able to download it without steam, or will it be in the store as an expansion pack?

From what VALVe's said.. CS2 is going to be a standalone product, you'll be able to buy it in stores; much like CS can be bought in stores right now.

It's not going to be free if you bought HL2, but yeah, you'd be able to DL it if you had a Steam subscription. You'd also be able to purchase it on Steam, in effect owning a copy. Past that, you'll have to buy it in a store.

Steam isn't going to be any different than buying games is now, unless you want to purchase them online through Steam, or with the pay per month Steam subscription.

(ah, I worded this post horribly.. I blame it on my headache and it being late, but I think you get the idea :))

Shuzer said:
From what VALVe's said.. CS2 is going to be a standalone product, you'll be able to buy it in stores; much like CS can be bought in stores right now.

It's not going to be free if you bought HL2, but yeah, you'd be able to DL it if you had a Steam subscription. You'd also be able to purchase it on Steam, in effect owning a copy. Past that, you'll have to buy it in a store.

Steam isn't going to be any different than buying games is now, unless you want to purchase them online through Steam, or with the pay per month Steam subscription.

(ah, I worded this post horribly.. I blame it on my headache and it being late, but I think you get the idea :))

okay maybe this should be in its own thread or forum, like rumors and spec. but... what if this CZ delay is ... sierra/VU wants valve to take CZ back, and recompile it with the source engine, and turn it into CS2? i've had that thought for a while now...

Jackal hit said:
okay maybe this should be in its own thread or forum, like rumors and spec. but... what if this CZ delay is ... sierra/VU wants valve to take CZ back, and recompile it with the source engine, and turn it into CS2? i've had that thought for a while now...

Well, I'd of believed it, or even thought that myself, had Ritual Entertainment's incarnation of CS:CZ ever came close to seeing the light of day. However, considering VALVe had Turtle Rock Studios re-do CZ for the fourth time in 2 years, I very much doubt it.

The CS community is to blame for that; magazine companies got ahold of an early working of Ritual's CZ, and bashed it. It got horrible "reviews" (I'm not sure how they allowed an early build of a game to be reviewed, that's beyond me), being hailed as a "mediocre story-based, mission-driven single player experience." The community was in an uproar, and VALVe listened.

Everyone wanted Gearbox's original basic idea for CZ, "Tonk Hawk style gameplay." VALVe's answer? Switching developers (again), and putting a "new" spin on CS. Along came Turtle Rock Studios, who had worked on the bots we had seen in CS 1.6 beta. TRS' incarnation of CZ is going to be bot match. Nothing more, other than a retextured basic set of maps. The only real perk is you get the improved CS bot, which is supposedely one of the best bots any game will have ever had for multiplayer AI.

In a nut shell, the gameplay will consist of.. you getting awarded points for completing your bot match "missions." With the points you can "buy" better bot teammates who are more skilled with certain weapons. You also will get awarded for completing missions with other weapons, such as the FiveSeven would give you more points than an MP5 (back to the "Tony Hawk style gameplay").
It's a shame, really, that CZ is going to be bot match, and bot match alone. I was greatly looking forward to seeing Ritual's remodeled and reskinned weapons in normal CS multiplayer, but that'll never happen. TRS' version of CZ has no new models or weapons, it's the same basic set of models we've all seen.

Anyhow, maybe this should be in Rumors and Speculation, who knows (the mods probably do ;) lol). But, at this point, I see no reason why VALVe would convert a 100% completed game that many would buy, to a new engine that really isn't needed for what the game is going to attempt to accomplish.
Maybe, just maybe, they'll do that (convert to source) with Ritual Entertainment's version of CZ, but that's doubtful seeing as how a large portion of Ritual's work will be included in the "Deleted Scenes' extra once CS:CZ ships.

Paying monthly for a game does make sence, but not if your Half-Life. MMORPG's require pay-to-play because there are central servers where thousands of people play.. that tends to get a little expensive.

But Half-Life is all user-run, especially since not many people are going to be playing Half-Life 2 online, opposed to the countless mods in Development. If we were ever forced to pay-to-play, Mod Developers should be getting a peice of that pie. But, since most people will buy HL2 insted of subscribing to it from Steam, all will be well. But I gotta admit, I still do want a peice of that monthly pie :D

Back