Petition for a class-action lawsuit

Sounds like he's just pissed, and rightly so I'd say.

Take it easy on him guys, I'd be pissed if I couldn't play a game I paid for. It must be very frustrating, here's to hoping you can get your problem solved iamharper!

iamharper said:
I have, you've missed some things.

I just read thru the whole thread and I must say that you didn't. This whole thread has a certain troll stench all over it.

Go ahead sue, my uncle Vinni told me you have no chance in hell and will waste alot of money on a lawyer if your going to try and sue them for a lot of money.

B. NO GUARANTEES.

VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S). YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK WITH RESPECT TO THE PERFORMANCE AND RESULTS OF THE STEAM SOFTWARE IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR HARDWARE.

C. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY.

NEITHER VALVE, ITS LICENSORS, NOR THEIR AFFILIATES SHALL BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE STEAM, YOUR ACCOUNT, YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS AND THE STEAM SOFTWARE INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VALVE BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH STEAM, STEAM SOFTWARE, MERCHANDISE THAT YOU ACQUIRE VIA STEAM, ANY INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN CONNECTION THEREWITH, OR THE DELAY OR INABILITY TO USE MERCHANDISE OR ANY INFORMATION, EVEN IN THE EVENT OF FAULT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR BREACH OF VALVE’S WARRANTY AND EVEN IF VALVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THESE LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS REGARDING DAMAGES APPLY EVEN IF ANY REMEDY FAILS.

If your going to ramble on about suing read the contract.

iamharper is still covered by the impied warranty of "warranty of merchantability" (ie, the products must do what it's supposed to do), Half-Life 2 is a game, and if you can't play it, you're entitled to a refund/repair.

Why does the lawsuit have to be expensive? There are small claims court's etc, some charge nothing if the contested value is below a certain amout. Take it to your country's consumer protection agency, and they will give you advice on how to proceed.

Try http://www.halt.org/legal_information_clearinghouse/everyday_law/consumer_complaints.php as a starting point.

The product did do what it's supposed to do. He installed it, was able to run it perfectly well. Then he tried to install it on another computer.

I smell PEBCAK.

I am willing to bet if he went about this in a more calm way with more information (If we where trying to work out for 4 pages what you meant, what do you think valves support was trying todo) you probably emailed the support threatening to sue them aswell. If you gave them a clear and concise descrition of all your problems all the relevant information and hadnt acted like a troll, you probably would be playing right now.

PEBCAK?

Pi Mu Rho said:
The product did do what it's supposed to do. He installed it, was able to run it perfectly well. Then he tried to install it on another computer.

I smell PEBCAK.
Not being able to change computers would fall under "not doing what it's supposed to do".

and yet, for all the other hundreds (thousands?) of people that have tried it (myself included), it's worked perfectly. Plus in all my time on these and the steampowered forums, I've not come across this problem once.

Occam's Razor says - PEBCAK

Have you only emailed them? Have you tried phoning them? You do have a phone don't you?

I can sue them though! God Bless frivolous lawsuits!

Thanks bush, if ya win you'll get a lot less. Protecting corporate power eh? *takes off political anger hat :rolleyes: anyways have you tried searching steam powered forums?

I spent a good hour more browsing through the steampowered forums this afternoon. I'm not the only one with this problem. I saw several people with indentical problems and recieved the same reception. That is doubt, disbelief, and criticism. The best advice I saw was "Buy it again." Take a look for yourself.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=249165&highlight=cdkey
http://forums.steampowered.com/foru...did=102547&highlight=cdkey+help+trouble+steam

So I'm not bullshitin'. Though I might never get around to sueing these cheap bastards, I at least, get to vent my frustration. I swear Steam could be the first version of the Matrix, watching us, monitoring us, and taking our dollars so they can build a new and improved Steam. Then when they finish it, we will all have jack are brains into Steam network to register our games, meanwhile Steam we'll be compling the information in our brains for the day the machines will rise.

I'm not going to let that happen! Phase 1 of the war starts tommorow. I'm going to dress up as Gordon Freeman, weild a crowbar (HL1 style) and wait outside Wallmart and smash copies of HL2 as they leave the store. That will draw enough media attention so I can setup a website for donations to our worthy cause. With our slogan "TELL VALVE TO BLOW STEAM OUT THEIR ASSES!" With enough money we're going to buy 51% of Valve and begin chucking the Board of the Directors out the 43rd floor. We'll replace them with sign language using monkeys, to prove that primates can do a better job paying attention to their customers. Next I make my way down to the programing department and at grenade point force the programers to give my cd-key back to me. Yelling "Pull my cd-key from your system or I pull the pin on this here pineapple." Then I will open the "door" with the "Keymaster" and all will be reset to the way it was before Steam.

Thanks to everyone who was thoughtful in their posts. No cure for me in sight.

iamharper said:
I'm not going to let that happen! Phase 1 of the war starts tommorow. I'm going to dress up as Gordon Freeman, weild a crowbar (HL1 style) and wait outside Wallmart and smash copies of HL2 as they leave the store. That will draw enough media attention so I can setup a website for donations to our worthy cause. With our slogan "TELL VALVE TO BLOW STEAM OUT THEIR ASSES!" With enough money we're going to buy 51% of Valve and begin chucking the Board of the Directors out the 43rd floor. We'll replace them with sign language using monkeys, to prove that primates can do a better job paying attention to their customers. Next I make my way down to the programing department and at grenade point force the programers to give my cd-key back to me. Yelling "Pull my cd-key from your system or I pull the pin on this here pineapple." Then I will open the "door" with the "Keymaster" and all will be reset to the way it was before Steam.

Stop making stuff up... My Cousing Vinny Gambini?(come on really), Steam = the Matrix? You're Gordon Freeman? Do you sit at home and watch movies all day? I think you are gutcheck. You're not starting any war. The sad thing is, normally I'd assume your just getting off by triing to make people fools on message boards, but you sound pretty serious with all that you say.... you sure you aint loco?

any ways please stop wasting peoples time.

Have you tried taking it back to where you bought it? When they say they won't accept it back, yell at them and say it's your right to return a faulty product. :S

I've had retailers give me the "we don't accept refunds" policy, truth is, they havn't a leg to stand on if the product is faulty (which, if you're telling the truth, it is). Just keep pushing and if they really don't budge, lodge a complaint with your consumer affairs beureu.

Back