phys gun

marty905

Reaction score
I think that they should include the phys gun at least as a cheat so u can have some fun playin around with the physics in your own custom maps and AFAIK it can weld thing together too? that would be a great gun in custom maps....they had the gun done so i think they should bring it bak.

if you mean the blue beam gun, i think they will add it as a cheat (or even in-game). i think this because the weapon had more capabilities then the ones they showed in the 2003 e3 (we could glue things together)

There will most likly be a console command. If that isn't the case there will be a Mod that features it.

well greg said that it possibly wont be in the game and someone will have to mod it :dozey: that sucks

Tarkus said:
if you mean the blue beam gun, i think they will add it as a cheat (or even in-game). i think this because the weapon had more capabilities then the ones they showed in the 2003 e3 (we could glue things together)

Check the Info from Valve thread. Greg Coomer said it's not featured in-game and probably won't be included in the SDK... probably. It was more intended to show the realistic weight and physics interactions of models and objects in the tech demo.

That said, if it's not included in the game, a user-created mod with it will show up within a few days after release.

ya but people might not do a perfect job and it could be all bugs and it might look bad too....thats y i like wen the game developers make models and everything it all looks good...its becuase there getting paid so they spend time on it...the MOD community doesnt get paid and some ppl do a sloppy job

well marty we cant all get what we want. and theres alot of good mods out there. and if they do sloppy, its probably best they can do, give them credit for even making a mod, especially if u cant make one urself.

marty905 said:
ya but people might not do a perfect job and it could be all bugs and it might look bad too....thats y i like wen the game developers make models and everything it all looks good...its becuase there getting paid so they spend time on it...the MOD community doesnt get paid and some ppl do a sloppy job

With Valve's permission, a mod maker could conceivably use the w_model from the E3 tech demo and assign weapon characteristics accordingly.

That is assuming the model will be in there.
I don't give a crap. The manipulator is fine. I am sure there will be other types of "Dev weapons" we can play aound with.

I think it's kinda odd cuz there was a lot of code involved (the beam had velocity values for slinging and whatnot)

I am SURE someone will keep the leaked version one and pull it over to the final game...

The leaked version had no model for the physgun...

they could still put the phys gun bak in the game if they have the model for it and the code

Pobz said:
The leaked version had no model for the physgun...

so?... doesn't mean the gun doesn't exist. Just replace the model.

how many of u think they should put the phys gun back as a cheat or something? should i create a poll for this?

marty905 said:
how many of u think they should put the phys gun back as a cheat or something? should i create a poll for this?
No, who WOULDN'T want it back?
Not saying it has to be in there, but why wouldn't I want in there? Might as well...

I'm sure they'll release it: code/model/sounds and all, if we beg them to, pretty please. I would think that it's a pretty darn useful tool for mod makers to have to experiment with physics in their maps and so on.

I assure you--If it isn't in the final version, I will have a perfectly working one within hours...as long as the full SDK is released along with HL2.

Don't fret over this...it's easy as hell to code. Expect numerous multiplayer "quick" mods to come out within the first month of the release.Even if they are in release. The static netcode is already there...so...

I'm setting up a webpage devoted to simplified HL2 modifications once I get the SDK. I want to do that for the first 2-3 months to learn every little thing that can be done with the engine. I expect many coders to do the same.

The gun model just looked like a souped up version of the USP match in white with a blue beam - I'd prefer the manipulator instead. Sure the welding is darn useful in making mods, but I'm sure it would have caused way too many bugs in the SP game.

Polykarbon said:
I assure you--If it isn't in the final version, I will have a perfectly working one within hours...as long as the full SDK is released along with HL2.

Don't fret over this...it's easy as hell to code. Expect numerous multiplayer "quick" mods to come out within the first month of the release.Even if they are in release. The static netcode is already there...so...

I'm setting up a webpage devoted to simplified HL2 modifications once I get the SDK. I want to do that for the first 2-3 months to learn every little thing that can be done with the engine. I expect many coders to do the same.

Cool... I guess ill be visiting that site.

Reaperman said:
really? mine looked just like the e3 version....
You saw something else...

Or you are talking about the manipulator.

Reaperman said:
really? mine looked just like the e3 version....

I'm not sure, as I've not played the beta, being all law-abiding and all.:p

But as far as I know, in a hl2 site where they posted a couple of hl2 screens from beta - it looked just like the USP match in white. I hope I haven't given any spoilers, but that's about all I know, I'm afraid.

lans said:
I'm not sure, as I've not played the beta, being all law-abiding and all.:p

But as far as I know, in a hl2 site where they posted a couple of hl2 screens from beta - it looked just like the USP match in white. I hope I haven't given any spoilers, but that's about all I know, I'm afraid.
That is because the model is missing.

Say you have the MP7 out. If you switch to the physgun it will keep that MP7 model.

That's the explanation. :)

if they dont include it in the final then it will without a doubt the fastest mod ever released :p

A True Canadian said:
Anyone have a pic? Or do I have to download the presentation again?

Yeah I want to see the physics gun model too from E3 2003...haven't seen it for ages, anyone has the demo that can take a ss?

Here's a picture of both the manipulator and the phys gun. I posted both because they look very similar to me...

I think it's obvious now that the Phys gun is just the experimental version of the Manipulator.

ya, everything looks the same in the back parts of the guns just the front parts r changed up

perhaps the phys gun was a temporary weapon to test or develope features for things that will be used as other things in the game?.. or something..

Kon said:
perhaps the phys gun was a temporary weapon to test or develope features for things that will be used as other things in the game?.. or something..

SMT said:
Check the Info from Valve thread. Greg Coomer said it's not featured in-game and probably won't be included in the SDK... probably. It was more intended to show the realistic weight and physics interactions of models and objects in the tech demo.

That said, if it's not included in the game, a user-created mod with it will show up within a few days after release.

I don't know why I bother posting sometimes... seems like nobody reads a damn thing I write. ;(

m00gie said:
if they dont include it in the final then it will without a doubt the fastest mod ever released :p
Well there's always the Alyx nude patch :hmph:

with the manip you can do the same stuff cant you?

SMT said:
I don't know why I bother posting sometimes... seems like nobody reads a damn thing I write. ;(

I feel the same..

it'd be a shame not to have it in the final vers. that gun is the funnist gone ever. it gives alot more manuverablity with objects...but theres an official post saying it probanly wouldnt make the final game

el Chi said:
Well there's always the Alyx nude patch :hmph:

mm, we can utalise the full capabilities of the source engine there....

bouncy bouncy :dork:

I heard you, and I don't think that was directed at me...but anyways, I was simply implying that I will be one of the people working to get it out, if it indeed isn't in the final version.

Back