Planetside never went Gold

A

AnubisTelorian

Well, they didn't announce it at least.

For the 3 weeks prior to the release date you could find at least one new thread a day saying "Planetside MUST go Gold today to make the release date". This happened all the way up to the day before release.

But the game released on time.

When they asked the developer why the game "never went gold" all he said was it did, but they never announced it. The devs just didn't feel it was important enough to say anything about it.

Just remember that every game does not go Gold.

its ususally for hyped games, made by developers who need to seel their game, saying HL2 'Has Gone Gold' will mearly make it seem like another game and not something special, almost divine figure.

Point is, not every developer feels the need to make a gold announcement. And it would be perfectly in keeping with the secretive Half-Life 2 spirit for Valve to quietly release a gold master to the duplicators and just let the game show up on the 30th without a lot of fanfare.

I think people need to be prepared for a delay in HL2 and not dream up reasons why we haven't heard the gold announcement. Based on Erik's comments about Steam today, I don't hink we'll see HL2 until Steam gets WELL out of "Train Wreck" status. That's going to take a while.

planetside was different, it had a running beta where everyone was participating. then one day they announced that you would have to buy the game tomorrow if you want to continue playing

Originally posted by Democritus
I think people need to be prepared for a delay in HL2 and not dream up reasons why we haven't heard the gold announcement. Based on Erik's comments about Steam today, I don't hink we'll see HL2 until Steam gets WELL out of "Train Wreck" status. That's going to take a while.

Where did Erik comment about Steam? The news page?

Steam won't take much to get rid of its teething problems, most of it is to do with bandwidth anyway.

But yeah, Announcing that the game is gold isn't always a high priotity in developers eyes. Valve may also keep it secret because they like surprises.

The reason Planetside never went gold is that it is still in beta. The players just have the privilege of paying to beta test. I can say this because I am a subscriber, and the dev team is still making sweeping gameplay changes.

Originally posted by Redsniper
The reason Planetside never went gold is that it is still in beta. The players just have the privilege of paying to beta test. I can say this because I am a subscriber, and the dev team is still making sweeping gameplay changes.

Dude its not still in beta thats what they do with MMO games constantly update and change things. Anyone who has played EQ since it has been out will tell u that

Originally posted by mchammer75040
Dude its not still in beta thats what they do with MMO games constantly update and change things. Anyone who has played EQ since it has been out will tell u that

Are you a subscriber? Anyone subscribing will tell you they feel like a beta tester.

Planetside is a great game, too bad Redsniper is true, I pay $12 a month to beta test this game....

Originally posted by Redsniper
Are you a subscriber? Anyone subscribing will tell you they feel like a beta tester.

A game bought from the stores is never a beta, even not if it feels like one.

Keep in mind, too, this is the same company that announced perhaps the biggest sequel of the century with an understated one sentence press release:

"Half-Life 2 will be on display at the upcoming E3."

And now all of a sudden people are expecting a big song and dance for the gold announcement. For all we know, the game has already gone gold and the reviewers have already gotten their review copies (along with stern NDA contracts). Or Gabe Newall could be running around the Valve offices in a delirim with his underwear on his head because the stressful prospect of making a delay announcement to the fan community has gotten the better of him.

Point is, we really don't know and all this speculation is getting us no where.

Originally posted by eclipxe
Planetside is a great game, too bad Redsniper is true, I pay $12 a month to beta test this game....

Just cancelled my account on sunday, I traded my Ti4200 in for a 9800pro to prepare for HL2. I decided that it was a waste of money to keep paying for planetside, it is a shame I never got to see it with all the eyecandy turned on. It just wasn't as fun after they made all the changes after beta ended.

And I was a huge fan, I was waiting in front of the store before it opened to buy it on launch day.

yea the planetside beta was fun...i never paid for the full version because it felt unfinished...the plague of MMO games...seems none of em ever come out completely stable/finished.

but yea planetside wasn't announced as going gold...they just said..."we're done now" this was mostly because a huge number of people were beta testing it and already had everything (except the final update) on their computers...they just needed to get their account going.

bah...too much talk about releasing and blah blah...just wait

If I were Gabe, I wouldn't announce HL2 went gold. Just for the fact that I would want to see Fragmaster keep posting articles about his inside sources from Vavle that the game is delayed only to see the games on the shelf 9/30.

But guys like fragmaster are a dime a dozen in forums. Instead of admitting he was incorrect he would merely say "Gabe said HL2 would be released on 9/30 but I checked and HL2 wasn't available in China. I told you Valve couldn't get a worldwide release by 9/30."

:rollies:

I cancelled my subscription of planetside 3 weeks after it came out that game got so boring so quick. To me it didnt feel like a beta but it should have stayed longer in it. And just like ryan said its not a beta if you buy it off a store shelf that would be ****ing retarded. MMO games always get new content regularly and the designer said he wanted to change everything in ps so people will be like wow instead of *yawn* like they are now. Just because they are adding and changing things to keep the game alive doesnt mean its a beta it means they are trying to keep the game alive thats what u have to do with a MMO game. :cheese:

This is true... the fact that it seems like everyone (or at least quite a few) people from Valve are working 24/7 on Steam kinda implies another big project is already off their shoulders....

And I wouldn't worry about Steam. 99% of the problems everyone has had with Steam was because lack of bandwidth. This caused slowness, freezing, and crashing. They will get it working smoothly by September 30th, no doubt.

also Fragmaster said:

"Unfortunately, I feel very confident in saying that there is no way Half-Life 2 is coming out September 30th. Not through Steam, not through anything. And it's not going to be just a week or two late either. We don't even think Valve knows for certain when the game is coming out. "

I coulda swore the first time I read it that it said "it could even slip into next year"

Point is, if it comes out ANYTIME within a 2 week period after September 30th, Fragmaster should be flamed nonstop and then he should resign from planethalflife because he sucks ass.

Originally posted by Slash
also Fragmaster said:

"Unfortunately, I feel very confident in saying that there is no way Half-Life 2 is coming out September 30th. Not through Steam, not through anything. And it's not going to be just a week or two late either. We don't even think Valve knows for certain when the game is coming out. "

I coulda swore the first time I read it that it said "it could even slip into next year"

Point is, if it comes out ANYTIME within a 2 week period after September 30th, Fragmaster should be flamed nonstop and then he should resign from planethalflife because he sucks ass.

Damn right hes a good guy but he needs to just keep his mouth shut sometimes when he doesnt have anything to back up his "facts".

Originally posted by mchammer75040
Damn right hes a good guy but he needs to just keep his mouth shut sometimes when he doesnt have anything to back up his "facts".

Yup,his fake so-called,"FACTS"

Back