Playstation 3 to get the greatest FPS ever

Bling

Reaction score
Im not joking with you.

psmfront15pn.jpg

wonder what kind of improvments theyll add.

Maybe 10th best FPS ever at the absolute most. And thats my opinion only when I'm feeling very forgiving.

half life 2 didn't sell well on the xbox I don't see how this is a big deal, besides anybody who's anybody has it on PC already.

If true...who the heck cares? They can't make it that different to make me want to buy it again.

I read the part underneath the title wrong first and thought it said "LEADS THE NEXT-GEN SHOOTERS THAT'LL BLOW" and thought "Half-Life 2 blows?".

Then I saw "YOU AWAY". :p

Anyway, is good news.

lol..
Guys, notice how it also says + Crysis..
Crysis creators has already stated that there'll be no console versions of Crysis right now..:p
Besides, didn't Gabe whine about how annoying it was to code for the PS3+X360?
I'm not buying into this atleast.. Gimme more scans plz.

gabe can't make up his mind when it comes to the next gen consoles.

i call photoshop for this little magazine thing.

He said it was a bitch to code for, he never said Valve was not going to actually do it.

Do not put words into his mouth.

Yes, it is hard to find programmers who know how to write multi-threaded apps - in fact, this is all new territory so hardly anyone knows how, but there is more to it than that. He is pissed because Sony deliberately adds 7 cores and a central processor so that PS3 games will never work on anything else - including the competitor PC market, xbox 360, and Wii. Any PS3 games will have to be totally re-programed to run on other systems, and vice versa. Sony's little way of the piece of the pie. It's not just Sony either, as Microsoft is getting Windows Vista and the 360 on the same level here, so that they are easy to port back and forth, but not to other systems. Microsoft is running the PC market and has successfully plunged into the console market, and of course competition is fierce.

Gabe can pay people that know how to program multi-threaded applications, that's not really the problem. The problem is that Gabe has to spend a shit-load of money to get the game programed and can only release it for one system at that budget - it hurts. If it weren't for the special processors and special requirements of the systems, it wouldn't be a big deal, you know? Write the program and port it to all the systems = $$$ x 3. But each console is so specific now, that it's a huge budget and time requirement for each port. Re-write the code. I seriously doubt you will see ANY VALVe games on a Playstation 3.

It's not just 'Gabe Newell'. This effects all programmers and all companies.

READ:
Gabe Newell - VALVe Software said:
"There are incredibly few programmers who can safely write code in the PlayStation 3 environment. And I totally see why Sony wants people to write code that runs on seven SPEs and a central processing unit, because that code is never going to run well anywhere else. They're saying, "Make your code not run on anything but one of our machines, and we're betting that we'll have market share that's so high that everybody will have to write for our platform. We'll just starve the air from the other platforms by absorbing everybody'd R&D budget and making their code less portable."
http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=24873

"Gabe Newell, of Valve fame, criticizes Microsoft and Sony on how difficult it will be for next-gen developers to produce games on their upcoming hardware. He is especially critical of Sony's model, where code written to run on Cell will be very hard to port to other systems, and vice versa. Will this bring upon a new era of PC Game superiority? Only time will tell. In the meantime, Newell says he believes that Steam-like systems will be extremely helpful for developers on the new consoles due to their ability to provide updates and new content."
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/05/1653251&from=rss

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2005/10/18/1556

John Carmack of id Software fame was on G4tv along with other owners of the company, and while I don't watch the show, Major Nelson was nice enough to make a mini transcript of some of the more interesting comments.

"Xbox 360 has far and away the best development tools," Carmack said. "PS3 is probably marginally more powerful, in terms of raw flops and graphic operations, but that’s not really the best way to look at things. When you look at these development cycles that stretch over years and years, being 20% easier to develop on is much more important than being 20% more powerful."

Carmack has expressed his admiration for the Microsoft dev tools before, but it's interesting to see him continuing down that road, and even making strong comparisons to the PS3.

"I make little nitpicky decisions about say, well, I prefer the symmetric approach that MS has over the asymmetric Cell approach, but you can do great games on either one of them, and I make fundamental decisions based on development tools and depth of documentation, which Microsoft has been superior on."

Carmack's comments are interesting in light of the complaints of Valve Software's Gabe Newell, who has said that the current dev tools are not well suited to optimizing for dual-core CPUs.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=510&Itemid=2

Newell is also scathing about hardware manufacturer claims regarding perormance.

"Statements about 'Oh, the PS3 is going to be twice as fast as an Xbox 360' are totally meaningless . It means nothing. It's surprising that game customers don't realize how it treats them like idiots. The assumption is that you're going to swallow that kind of system, when in fact there's no code that has been run on both of those architectures that is anything close to a realistic proxy for game performance. So to make a statement like that, I'm worried for the customers. And that we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and that we're lying to them all the time. That's a problem because in the long run, it will have an impact on our sales."

He's said it could take 4-5 years before programmers figure out how to maximize the 3 cores of the 360. Imagine how long it will take to maximize use of the PS3 with 7 cores?

The cover is not fake, it's just seriously misleading.

From the official myspace of PSM(it has the cover and details)
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...&MyToken=da9388ae-e028-4d68-91ed-4bde0222303f

PSM2 Issue 75 is out now! You can buy it and everything! This month's packed issue sees us salivating over the prospect of Half-Life 2 on PS3, and exhaustively reviewing the likes of Final Fantasy XII, FIFA World Cup 2006, Urban Chaos, Tourist Trophy, The Silent Hill Collection and Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, among a skipload of other stuff. We've also got an in-depth report on the rather excellent-looking Scarface. So head down to the shops right now. Buy us a sausage roll while you're there, we're starving.

torso boy said:
Maybe 10th best FPS ever at the absolute most. And thats my opinion only when I'm feeling very forgiving.

wow your opinon sucks

they should fire whoever is doing their covers, not for being misleading but for looking awful/cheap.

^Ben said:
The cover is not fake, it's just seriously misleading.
the prospect of Half-Life 2 on PS3

Oh I get it. It's easy to miss the operative word there and be mislead. A prospect means a possibility.

Spending a mill to put HL-2 on PS3 would be the dumbest idea ever for VALVe and if you read my previous post in this thread you would know why it won't happen. Why rewrite HL-2 at this point? By the time PS3 comes out I don't think HL-2 would sell very well on it.

Is this even a real magazine? They don't even have a website, they have a myspace where the username is the name of the magazine.

PSM2 is 100% independant. We write what we want, when we want. ... Plus our dedication to being first means that PSM2 is THE place to find all the ...
lies?

God I hate these single platform magazines. Magazines like Electronic Gaming Monthly are way better, and don't feed you lies and shit to keep you buying it. They actually have news.

"Secret release dates" and prospects - from a completely independent magazine that has a 15 year old who writes every article? Sure! Lol. Read this shit:
PSM2 plays longer, harder and faster than any other magazine. It’s the intelligent, enthusiastic, comprehensive, escapist, lively read for every PlayStation ...
If that isn't the worst writing I've ever seen for a magazine I don't know what is. That is way too many adjectives, and it doesn't even make sense! He even spells independent wrong in the sales pitch. How can you have 100% independent in your magazine title and spell it wrong and expect to be taken seriously?

Well, I would have been in disbelief up until I saw news on Steam or some other non-biased source anyway.

Best FPS ever? Yas!

Anyway, I bought the magazine - sadly. It was merely them talking about how possible it was to bring HL2 to PS3. Which is lame.

VERY misleading cover.. Why does it have FEAR + PREY + CRYSIS on there?
I mean, I thought it's a PS2/PS3 magazine?
FEAR and Prey have only been confirmed for the X360(And PC duh), and Crysis is supposed to be PC only.:p
If any of you guys have the magazine, could you explain what it says about Crysis etc? Is it any new info, or any relevance? Or are they merely salivating at the PROSPECT of those games on the PS3?:LOL:

Edit: Samon, lol.. Sad imo..:) Talk about misleading cover! What did the magazine say about Crysis etc?

Golden Eye is coming out for the ps3???!! woohoo \o/

:( there's always hope!

Back on topic - i'll probably pick up HL2 on the PS3 or the 360 (if it gets released) just to kick back and play it on a large tv. I'd like to play HL2dm over Live too.

Warbie said:

Surely if they were doing it properly it would be an X-Box 360 exclusive. I mean Rare is part of Microsoft now.....

thats fake, i saw a video interview with Gabe were he says that there will be no HL2 for PS3 because the coding is totaly different.

hl2 for the PS3...

So a 2 year old game for a console that hasn't got a working model yet?

amazing.....

Hmmmm, Half-Life 2 wasn't the best FPS ever and Valve are sooo overated. To many fan boys these days.

IchI said:
Hmmmm, Half-Life 2 wasn't the best FPS ever and Valve are sooo overated. To many fan boys these days.

What would you class the greatest FPS of all time?

Warbie said:

If it was to get released on a Sony console EVER ! it would slowly go down to one of my "most hated games" from my "most memorable and loved games of all time!" :p

Warbie said:
Back on topic - i'll probably pick up HL2 on the PS3 or the 360 (if it gets released) just to kick back and play it on a large tv.
I thought every-man and his dog had TV-Out on their vid-card these days...

kupoartist said:
I thought every-man and his dog had TV-Out on their vid-card these days...

Sure, but I have to get the pc close to the tele, connect the wires up for video and sound, move a little table infront of the sofa for the mouse and keyboard, and then put everything away again once finished - everytime. That's hardly 'kicking back'. Even then it feels all wrong using a m&k infront of a big tele.

I'd also expect the 360 to run HL2 at a constant framerate without any stutters or pauses (something my x800 refuses to do), which would look staggeringly good on a decent HDTV.

Warbie, get a dang controller and get joy2key and just use the controller. Hell get a 360 controller.

the mag's website is psmonline.com

its a real cover; not photoshopped. Guess we will find out if this is going to happen or not on monday at sony's press event

Back