Plea to people who are preloading HL2, and not buying the game...

[Matt]

Reaction score
From moderating our irc channel its become clear that loads people are downloading the hl2 preload just for the sake of it even though they are not planning to buy the game via steam but by purchasing a CD instead. Whats the point? The data you're downloading cant be accessed unless you buy the game!

Take my advice... if your planning of buying the CD dont touch the preload for the sake of it! Your hogging bandwidth from genuine preloaders AND your costing valve cash....

;(

Well technically we won't hafta worry about taking forever to install the game once we get it, just enter in the cd-key and we should be good to go :-P

[Matt] said:
From moderating our irc channel its become clear that loads people are downloading the hl2 preload just for the sake of it even though they are not planning to buy the game via steam but by purchasing a CD instead. Whats the point? The data you're downloading cant be accessed unless you buy the game!

Take my advice... if your planning of buying the CD dont touch the preload for the sake of it! Your hogging bandwidth from genuine preloaders AND your costing valve cash....

;(

How do you know that you can't just enter your key from your retail package into steam, and activate what you downloaded?

I agree with him :)

Like us ATI Voucher guys, our only choice is to do the whole Steam thing.. We can't go into a store and exchange (well we could send it in but it will take 1 month+)

It's encrypted so I don't think that one prog (won't say program name so people won't get it :) ) can open it, thus you guys are wasting yours and VALVe's bandwith.

kthx :)

lol.. wait, you've got a month or so too download it. Do you really need to download it now?

6iXx said:
lol.. wait, you've got a month or so too download it. Do you really need to download it now?

come to IRC... they're having a bandwidth race ;(

look, everyone is going to get it sooner or later. its not a big deal.

Plus, i thought we could punch in the cd key from a store bought version and activate the game that way too.

[Matt] said:
come to IRC... they're having a bandwidth race ;(

Yeah who cares if everyone is downloading now. I don't see the point if the game was coming out tommorow or something than I would understand your cry for help. At this point does it really matter. I understand the part about waisting valve's money but I really dont' think that's the real reason you posted. More likely you just couldn't get on or couldn't get a fast enough download.

[Matt] said:

;(

I don't want to sound like a prick, but you're being sort of childish don't you think? If preloading was only going to benefit people who order it over steam, don't you think VALVe might have made a system where you can only preload if you buy a cd-key through steam?

If they are really KNOWINGLY downloading without planning to buy it, they probably want to download it so they can play it cracked .... or something like that.

Ahhhh so nice now that we have fast speeds with the capped number of users :) 600kb/s

lol i think they hit the cap within maybe 5 min after opening the flood gates

Well I'd rather not have to install the game, and plus, in the words of Denis Leary "I'm an asshole!" :naughty:

The plus side of everyone trying to download it all at once is to put Steam to the test of bandwidth usage. If there were to actually be problems (which is not happening at all right now), the preload where lots of data is being transferred would be the time to get any problems worked out (well before release).

Erm no.

Im downloading and im gonna punch the CD key in as soon as i get home so NEH!

can we purchase half life 2 cd key through steam already?
whats the filesize?
and whats the requirements (min and recommended)

thx

You know installing the game is exiting.......
STOP F... DOWNLOADING THE CACHE!

Hey...I think eveyone DLing the Pre load is fine....Steam is handeling it amazingly. I've actually never downloaded anything at such high speeds on my pc. I can never get higher than 160 kb/s, but steam is going at around 800 kb/s! Freakn' sweet!!!

Fender357 said:
Hey...I think eveyone DLing the Pre load is fine....Steam is handeling it amazingly. I've actually never downloaded anything at such high speeds on my pc. I can never get higher than 160 kb/s, but steam is going at around 800 kb/s! Freakn' sweet!!!
That would be kilobits. 8 bits to a byte so 800KB=100Kb

Computer5k said:
That would be kilobits. 8 bits to a byte so 800KB=100Kb

Actually 800Kb = 100KB.

By the way, what's it limited to? I'm getting a solid 1Mbps.

why should I have to put the CD's in the drive when I can put in my CD-Key in and go? Im going to buy the CE at the store, then, after preloading the game, put in the CD-Key, then, you see I dont have to take my CD's out of my Case.

If you look at the chart, it's not really capped, it's fluctuating a bit .. maybe they will up the cap a bit? I hope so :eek:
The max capacity is also slowly increasing .. there is slim room for hope

Black-Falcon said:
why should I have to put the CD's in the drive when I can put in my CD-Key in and go? Im going to buy the CE at the store, then, after preloading the game, put in the CD-Key, then, you see I dont have to take my CD's out of my Case.

In a lot of modern games the CD-Key is printed beneath the CDs, so you may have no choice but to take them out. ;)

la-di-da, if they dont have to go into my drives i dont really care. my point still stands :afro: :sniper: :monkee: :LOL:

This is why Valve should have only allowed the preload for ATI card holders and also enabled the ability to the buy the game.

Now every joe schmo and his dog is leeching precious bandwitdh!

Mr-Fusion said:
This is why Valve should have only allowed the preload for ATI card holders and also enabled the ability to the buy the game.

Now every joe schmo and his dog is leeching precious bandwitdh!
Isn't enough the CSS beta and the VST was only for ATI and CZ peeps :flame: :flame: :flame: :sniper:

You're missing the point hasan. What's the point in allowing people to preload even though they're not buying it through steam? It's basically just a waste of Valves money (bandwidth=money!)

um, to make us happy.
you see, if we get mad, we might do something bad to valve, which = loss of money. :p

anyway, I know the point, but the thought that even the preload is not open for us makes me mad.

but I'd agree only if they opened purchasing of half-life (or pre-ordering for that matter) before the pre-load.

valve wants everybody to download it. thats why its open to everybody, not just ati voucher & purchasers. because if people have the game on their HD, they will be like "aw, f*ck, im not gonna go to the store and buy it if i already have it downloaded" and then valve gets extra profit ;)

hmm, maybe.

I would guess there is somewhere in the agreement between valve and VU that they can't make the game available in steam before the game hits stores .. but there is a hole where nothing mentions preloading "parts" of the game that won't change?

The point being, when my collectors edition arrives, i dont want to play around with 4cds/dvds. I can punch in my cdkey, and be off, the same thing i did with CZ... bought a cd key, and away we went, dont even know what the box art looks like, lol. (j/k)

I got a voucher and ive been trying for a while now to download it and i have given up, its weird cause someone from another forum got to preload it on his first try while ive been trying the moment it was availible, AMAZING. Ahh im tired now, off to bed. :dozey:

they can pay for this months bandwidth from the ad budget. this preload is nothing but marketing hype generation.

I haven't been able to start the preload for the last 2 hours.

I agree with Fusion, whats the point in letting people pre-load if they ren't paying for it straight away? Seems silly to me. I say if you want to preload, pay for it.

iamaelephant said:
I agree with Fusion, whats the point in letting people pre-load if they ren't paying for it straight away? Seems silly to me. I say if you want to preload, pay for it.

Exactly!

Back