Plea to people who are preloading HL2, and not buying the game...

iamaelephant said:
I agree with Fusion, whats the point in letting people pre-load if they ren't paying for it straight away? Seems silly to me. I say if you want to preload, pay for it.

Yeah I agree. It'll help stop piracy just a little bit more to make people pay for the preload. (I gather you mean when someone pays for the preload, they pay for the full game as well, otherwise i doubt anyone would pay twice, for 1 game)

This is the reason I thought the pre-load wouldn't be available to everyone, I'm quite surprised that it is. Still, if people can do something, they will. Asking people not to download it won't do much, it's up to Valve to decide whether or not to limit who can download it.

They are preloading now not because the game will be unlocked tomorrow, it's to ease the process of preloading later. Remember, it's over 3GB, so there is no point in allowing only the ati voucher holders to preload; it wouldn't serve the purpose of preloading.

And don't forget the hype generation ..

You guys are saying that because you are impatient to start preloading, but there is no point to your impatience, the game won't ship in at least a week from now. even if it goes gold tomorrow, it will still need atleast a week to be available in stores.

It will probably ship on Sept 30th ..

Im buying a hardcopy from the store, as well as a preload version
I will end up pre-loading then copying over the hl2.gfc to my other comp (to save time and bandwidth)

so both have a gfc in my two accounts on two comps.. then the one will have a steam bought ID and the other I will pick up at the store,
however this way I can play the game the second it is released ( in case stores dont have it or some stupid reason)

I'm not even touching the steam pre-load. I am getting the collectors edition so I will not pre-load it. If people want to pre-load HL2 just for the sake of pre-loading it...it's up to them.

Sparta said:
Yeah I agree. It'll help stop piracy just a little bit more to make people pay for the preload. (I gather you mean when someone pays for the preload, they pay for the full game as well, otherwise i doubt anyone would pay twice, for 1 game)

I am buying it from Steam _and_ store, cause who on earth that's a huge HL-fanboy, can live without having a CD-case !?! :| No way, I shall buy it from Steam, and use the Steam-version, while my retail-non-opened-HL2-version is on my Half-Life Shelf :D

HORRAH fOR VALVE :D

I'm planning to buy from Steam, but the pre-load is unavailable to me ffs.

I aagree with Matt: Some people are so desperate to get what they can of HL2 that they are downloading for the sake of it. I accept that genuine users have every right, but if you are planning to buy a copy, then do that. Using "im going to use the key from the shop to access the preload" is not an excuse. There simply isn't any point doing it that way.

I for one will be buying.

mannyfresh027 said:
valve wants everybody to download it. thats why its open to everybody, not just ati voucher & purchasers. because if people have the game on their HD, they will be like "aw, f*ck, im not gonna go to the store and buy it if i already have it downloaded" and then valve gets extra profit ;)

Bingo! Give the man a cigar.

That's precisely why Valve is doing it. Even though I've got a $5 deposit down at Gamestop, the second it actually started preloading I thought I'd definately buy it on Steam even if it's just one day (or night) sooner.

Plus it's a great stress-test for Valve's bandwidth.

nvrmor said:
they can pay for this months bandwidth from the ad budget. this preload is nothing but marketing hype generation.
:cheers:

stop me

Using "im going to use the key from the shop to access the preload" is not an excuse.

An 'excuse'? Its not restricted. No one needs any excuse.

Up until recently I was undecided about whether to buy it boxed or via steam, I was pretty sure I'd get the box. The more I think about it, though, the more I want to buy it off steam. Publishers are the reason few interesting games make it to a mass audience, as they're only interested in making money. They don't take risks. Buying off steam stops the publisher getting their grubby hands on your money, which instead goes to the developer. I really hope the steam method of distribution takes off and becomes the norm, it's really a positive boost for creativity within the game industry. So with that said, I'll be giving my money to Valve, and not Vivendi, by buying the game over steam. Besides, as I understand it, the CE is still available over steam, you just won't get the "physical" extras. All the extra software (like HL: Source, I assume) will be there.

I was initially agreeing with not downloading pointless preloads, but then it does make sense if you just download now and use the CD-key when you get it. But what happens if Steam only lets you activate it buy purchasing it over Steam. That means you need to buy 2 copies which would be dumb.

Anyway...I don't care!! I'm buying it the old fashioned way.

Im preloading on serveral machines just to hear people whine. This is funny at best. The ATI voucher does one thing for you, gives you the game (via Steam) for "free" once its ready via Steam. Thats it. No other "privilege" expressed or implied.

And what is a "genuine preloaders"? someone that preloads the game? Well thats what we are doing..... Im genuinely preloading a game I intend to purchase.

(Im not really preloading on multiple machines though I could)

Aknot said:
Im preloading on serveral machines just to hear people whine.....
(Im not really preloading on multiple machines though I could)
It doesn't irritate me personally that people are wasting bandwidth, but that is really just pathetic. I'm glad you're not really doing it. That would be quite sad.

What if mid-way I decide to buy through Steam? Mwhahaha

Just in case ...

By all means guys, download, on a hundred different machines if you want to, it's not like it's illegal, but if you're doing it just to annoy other people, that's really quite sad :p

Logic said:
It doesn't irritate me personally that people are wasting bandwidth, but that is really just pathetic. I'm glad you're not really doing it. That would be quite sad.

:)

BUT if I had every intention to buy 4 copies (yes I have 4 machines that can run it) would you have a problem? I mean my money is just as good as anyones that "prebought" it. I want it, just like everyone else "now".

The point (which has been brought up) I believe of this is to "break" Steam. Or to see if there is a breaking point. I truly believe the powers that be were watching the DL and everytime someone else "joined" their hearts fluttered. Every little "spike' gave them a sweat. Then when it was all said and done they stuck out their chest thumped it a couple of times and flicked off all the distributors.

I can truly say I (as all of you that can preload.. :) ) am part of Computer Gaming History.

It will change the face of computer software purchasing/gaming/applications.

After that I think I will download it on my other 3. (j/k)

dose it matter that you cant preload it now ?
you cant play the bloody thing so stop moaning
you will all at some point get the download,
they havent restricted it.so if ya get to download it,i say
do it

i have every plan of preloading it and then usen my cd from the booklet/case to unlock it

Aknot said:

BUT if I had every intention to buy 4 copies (yes I have 4 machines that can run it) would you have a problem?
:p Well I don't have a problem with it either way really. I guess it is a good stress test for steam, too, but as we have now found out, the amount of downloads is limited, and bandwidth usage capped, so whether you personally download one or a hundred copies, it's going to have the same amount of downloads happening: the maximum available. At least until the demand cools off.

All I was saying is sad is if you download solely for the purpose of annoying people who get bothered by it :p

Logic said:
All I was saying is sad is if you download solely for the purpose of annoying people who get bothered by it :p

Nah not fellow gamers, I would annoy my ex-wife, but not you guys.

I would play the "I'm just gonna buy it in store, enter the cd-key and then download it from Steam" card, but...that's not true because it'll take forever to download it I'm sure...

I want to rip the .gcf and see what's inside mainly.

Chris_D said:
Stickied!

or not...

And OT, I'm going to buy a ATI voucher off ebay and then when it's unlocked, put in the CD-key :D

The free copy I get in the mail goes to my best friend...who hardly has any games yet an awesome computer :p

[Matt] said:
From moderating our irc channel its become clear that loads people are downloading the hl2 preload just for the sake of it even though they are not planning to buy the game via steam but by purchasing a CD instead. Whats the point? The data you're downloading cant be accessed unless you buy the game!

Take my advice... if your planning of buying the CD dont touch the preload for the sake of it! Your hogging bandwidth from genuine preloaders AND your costing valve cash....

;(

truely pathetic.

Its perfectly obvious why anybody can download it. Its to tempt those people who otherwise might not buy the game if they did not have it on their system.

mannyfresh027 said:
valve wants everybody to download it. thats why its open to everybody, not just ati voucher & purchasers. because if people have the game on their HD, they will be like "aw, f*ck, im not gonna go to the store and buy it if i already have it downloaded" and then valve gets extra profit ;)

Truth. Don't forget, Valve gets 2.5 times as much profit for a game sold over steam than for a game sold retail.

i cant start preloading and i got ati hl2 voucher :(

EDIT: why the hell do they make it avaible for anyone.
why not let them pay now and then preload,
and play it when realised.
would't that be much better now i cant download because 1000 off people downloading it. while they not gone buy it.
so unfair :(

i download it as i support valve (w00t gabe! :thumbs: ). they make a better profit out of it.

YAaa i dont wana install the full game by cd i jus wana pop it in put cd key in ;) sooo ha

I think I will download it again...It's fun to watch. I love watching that lil bar go across..I am going to delete what I downloaded and do it again...It's cool .

It's time to enfuriate the noobs after countless ignorant coments.

I will use my cd case key to activate the game Ive preloaded through Steam. I think alot will.

zer0kewl said:
i cant start preloading and i got ati hl2 voucher :(

EDIT: why the hell do they make it avaible for anyone.
why not let them pay now and then preload,
and play it when realised.
would't that be much better now i cant download because 1000 off people downloading it. while they not gone buy it.
so unfair :(

Because.

What is the sense in taking up HD space if you are not going to buy it?

What better way to test Steam and show people what you made is a boon to the gaming world?

Just to upset selfish people.

I'm preloading now and I must say it's going AMAZINGLY fast. Unlike (apparently) most people here, I'm actually buying it through steam. :D This is a happy day indeed.

of course theres a point in pre-loading even if u arn't buying it through steam. Soon as u get ur cd key out the box ur off and running with HL2. It must take ages to install of like 4cds.

and u must be able to activate it with a key. how else will ati coupon holders unlock theirs?

its going to be interesting to see how valve work this. If they give everybody the whole game too early theres a chnce it could be cracked. They must be leaving a certain amount of data to the very last minute. It will be interesting to see if they can pull this off and keep everyone happy.

ive just heard that someone has cracked the preload and has started playing it ?

true false ?

anyone heard anything

I preloaded because I want to play the game the SECOND it comes out.

I allso preorderd the colecters eddition. Who knows when eb will get that.. so i allredy have it on my steam ready for my to play when it comes out.

CreaTz said:
ive just heard that someone has cracked the preload and has started playing it ?

true false ?

anyone heard anything
AHAHA i love your avatar! =D

Im going to buy HL2 CD version but Am going to preload

why?

Because people who bought CS:Z on steam said that when they got the CD they had to download it on steam b4 you could play and I would prefer to do that b4 I get the CD

and of course if that isnt true it means I wont have to w8 for it to install :E

Back