Please... help....

X

xjf9t86

If anyone can help me, it would be GREATLY appreciated - this problem has been going on for two days now.

I got Half-Life 2 Game of the Year edition for Christmas, but it won't install on my computer. All other CDs and DVDs work on my computer, so it's not the drive. I tried to install it on my fiancee's laptop with no problem, so it's not the CD. The specs on my computer are far better than the specs on her laptop, so it's not my computer. I don't know what it is, but when I put the CD in, it's like the computer can't read it... just spins then clicks, spins then clicks, etc...

If anyone has any idea how I can get this to run, that would be very VERY cool. Also, if there's a way to just get it off of the internet legally (through steam?) that would be great too, as I have a valid CD-key that came with the box, but I just can't get the files to run the game onto my computer.

Again, any help is appreciated. Thank you.

You can download it through steam(ing pile of crap) if you like. I dont think it's a good idea to put it on two different computers using the same cd-key, because I'm not sure how stream deals with 2 IP adresses for 1 cd key or account. If the dvd/cd is clicking and whirring in your drive, then it sounds like it won't run that disc, even though it will run all others. I have come across this once or twice, and I'm not sure why it happens, but it does.

That's the best I can offer.

Anyone else?

thanks for the help. i didn't install it completely on the other computer... just put the cd in long enough to realize that it would actually run on that one. as far as downloading it from steam, any ideas how? the only thing i could see was a link that says "register a product" which, after i put in my cd-key, says "you need to install half-life 2 for this game to be registered. please put in the cd to install the game and then click ok". (putting in the cd and then clicking ok didn't work, so i assume it wants me to actually completely install the game before it will let me register.)

is there a link somewhere in steam that will let me download the game without the cds (which appear to be useless on my computer)? thanks again for the help and the quick responses... maybe ill be playing half-life 2 this year!

sorry about that... i posted here, then realized maybe id made a mistake and was supposed to post in the tech-support section.

my bad.

is your drive a cd-rom drive or dvd drive? im not sure but if the game cd is dvd the cd-rom drive will not recognize it

skarrob:

cdrw / dvd-rom drive. it runs both dvds and cds fine, it's just half-life 2 that doesn't work (though, as i said earlier, the half-life 2 cd is fine as it works on another computer). i was thinking maybe it could be a certain setting on my computer that i have to change? maybe one that's being messed with by any anti-piracy stuff on the half-life 2 cd? im not sure...

Why is it that like... idk... 70 percent of the threads in the HL2 forum are tech problems?

so, since there's no info on the cds, ill assume i can't use them... does anyone know how to download the game through steam (which i have already downloaded on my computer)? any help would be appreciated

I take it you have the DVD Edition. I am not quite aware if it is a dual-layer DVD that the DVD Edition is on, but if it is it is most likely your drive is incapable of reading a dual-layer DVD. If you know what you are doing, or have a friend that is capable, perhaps borrow a DVD drive from a friend to use to install it.

Open Steam, Games -> Activate a product on steam, enter CD key. It should work.

after more experimentation, ive determined that my drive will only play dvds and music cds (no games). i assumed that since it played music cds, it would also play game cds, as it has within the past month, but apparently not.

dude, im calling dell.

you should try downloading it, here is how.

install steam powered, register your cd key on a new account, or any exisiting acount if you got one. (if you got the silver or gold version, i suggest a new account if you have a old account) then, halflife 2 will be in your list of games, all you need to do is double click it, and steam will download it, it might take a long time, (and i mean long time) but at least you will be able to play the game.

ktimekiller, JellyWorld - You both just posted that he sould use the CD key on steam, after he had put that he tryed that and it dosen't work...

Sgt.Redneck - How is that helpfull?

xjf9t86 - Do you have a home network? If so, you can set up your gf laptop to act as a shared drive, put the CD in, and run it from your PC.

If you don't have a network, ignore the below, its instructions for setting it up of you do.
On her laptop - Go to my computer, and right click on her dvd drive and select "sharing and security". Make sure your in the "sharing" tab. If you see no options, just a message about sharing not being recommended, just click "if you understand the risks..." yadda yadda. Tick the "share this folder" and set the name to something like "hernamedvdrom", without the quotes, and obviously change "hername" to her actual name.
Then on your PC, load up "My computer", hit "My network places" under "other places" in the left hand menu, then hit "View workgroup computers". Click on her machine and select the drive and run it.

Back