Poll: Should Combine Orb Vaporize Player?

Should Combine Orb Vaporize Player?

• Yes

Votes: 23 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • Only on 'Hard'

Votes: 36 41.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Z

Zombine_Elite

This has been bugging me for quite a while actually: Should the Combine Elite's orb vaporize you just like you orb vaporizes enemies? After all, that just makes that much more sense doesn't it?

Right Now I'm seeing 2 sides of this idea:

Why player should get vaporized:
-It's more realistic.
-It's more consistent. In a game like Half-Life 2 where consistency is stressed throughout the series (to preserve everything about the story), can't this little thing be fixed to take a step towards that? I mean, it's 1 of the more obvious inconsistencies, as opposed to let's say, how deep underground the lambda complex was in HL and OpFor.
-It makes the Combine Elite THAT MORE intimidating. To tell you the truth, the first time I had to fight the Elites, I played like a wuss. I used up my magnum and my crossbow just so I won't come smack with the awesome power of the orb. Then I got hit by the orb and lost 30(?) health. Regarded the Elites as a joke ever since.

Why not:
-Certain parts of the game involve large-scale dark energy hazards. Eg: Combine airstrikes in Follow Freeman, energy conduits in Episode 1. However, they could make the Combine airstrikes easier to avoid to compensate, for example, mark the areas with a flare. Or in the energy conduits, you can pick up a plate and use it to deflect the orbs.
-Alyx and Barney (and other important NPCs) will have to get vaporized as well (for consistency), adding a babysitting job to you. Would you want that?

What do you think?

Maybe I would have cared 2 years ago when I beat HL2.

The HEV suit is designed to intentionally resist such an attack or random phenomena. I say no to your question.

well, remember in the videos before HL2 was released, the one with the strider shooting you with whatever it is that he shot? It showed gordon getting vaporized......just thought id point that out......

Tyguy said:
well, remember in the videos before HL2 was released, the one with the strider shooting you with whatever it is that he shot? It showed gordon getting vaporized......just thought id point that out......

'cos the suit is out of power, so it can protect Gordon no more.

If the HEV suit uses some sort of electric reactive armor plates then it should be effective only against projectile damage (bullets, missiles, shrapnel etc.), but be almost useless against energy damage (lasers, plasma etc.). So to answer your question yes I think Gordon should be vaporized, he's not a damn tank after all.

Anyway, I suggest that HEV suit has some sorts of negative energy embracing Gordon. So whenever there is energy or lazer hits Gordon, the energy of HEV suit counteracts the hostile energy, and the two energies nullify each other.

bbson_john said:
Anyway, I suggest that HEV suit has some sorts of negative energy embracing Gordon. So whenever there is energy or lazer hits Gordon, the energy of HEV suit counteracts the hostile energy, and the two energies nullify each other.

If that were true then the player shouldn't receive any energy damage whatsoever, but that's not the case. It would make much more sense if the armor could absorb the energy instead of having a magic energy shield that deflects plasma, lasers etc.

Redneck said:
If that were true then the player shouldn't receive any energy damage whatsoever, but that's not the case. It would make much more sense if the armor could absorb the energy instead of having a magic energy shield that deflects plasma, lasers etc.

The player didn't receive damage. It is the suit which receive damage. And the power of the suit will have, as you can see, depleted.

That negative energy part is pretty relative though, if we use some pretty basic maths, 30 takes out -30, while 30 and -60 leaves -30,
meaning that if the HEV suit were to have the same amount of negative charge as the positive energy they'd just nullify each other,
but if the HEV suit had a lower negative charge than the positive energy, it would, indeed, harm him.
The fact that it wouldn't make sense though; vortigaunts, headcrabs, striders, zombies, they're not really going for hardcore realism.

if you want the orb to one shot you, just look up the cvar for the damage that the orb does and bump it up from 15 as it is now to like 300. Make sure you put it in an autoexec file or skill.cfg in your cfg folder

there. Now you'll crap your pants whenever elites come around.

Well, what happens when the suit is out of power? That's when he should get vaporized.

Termite said:
Well, what happens when the suit is out of power? That's when he should get vaporized.

QFT.

And once suit power runs out, four gunshots should kill Gordon.

bbson_john said:
'cos the suit is out of power, so it can protect Gordon no more.

How do you know the suit was out of power?

How does the HEV suit avoid orb vaporization? I mean if the suit sucks out all the energy from the orb ok, but the orb's a little nuclear reaction and I don't think a charged suit can handle that type of energy capacity.

If it did instantly vaporize the player, if an orb goes off in a close corridor, it'll be impossible to avoid it, resulting in the player's instant death with them unable to prevent it. That'd be a pretty BS way to die.

Praetorius said:
If it did instantly vaporize the player, if an orb goes off in a close corridor, it'll be impossible to avoid it, resulting in the player's instant death with them unable to prevent it. That'd be a pretty BS way to die.

Gravity Gun ;)

No. I dont think that would be fun..

pshh its not so hard. Anyway If you wanna be Badass X-treme To the Max, make the enemy orbs one shot kills and their damage equal to yours. That way it will actually feel like you are fighting legitimate threats and not incompetent fodder.

Only if the speed of the orb was reduced or if the normal gravity gun can manipulate orbs (can it? I know it can't grab it, but can it push it?).

I hate instant death effects though. Definately should not kill mission critical AI on a single hit though. There's very little you can do sometimes :( One bad bounce and it's a reload? No thanks.

The Gravgun can catch the orbs, and fire them back.

You can also slow them down by primary-firing the gravgun at them.

I'd just like to point out that the strider cannon does not vaporize Gordon, either in the game or in the trailers. The vaporized body in the trailer was of one of the civilians standing near Gordon when the cannon went off.

I don't like instant death in any matter, so no thank you.

come on, are yee not extreme? don't you want elites to actually be a threat?

Yes. On hard mode, if you have no suit shielding.

0mar said:
Only if the speed of the orb was reduced or if the normal gravity gun can manipulate orbs (can it? I know it can't grab it, but can it push it?).

I hate instant death effects though. Definately should not kill mission critical AI on a single hit though. There's very little you can do sometimes :( One bad bounce and it's a reload? No thanks.

Well what if the NPCs can use weapons or world objects to shield themselves, since orbs do bounce off surfaces? I think that's feasible, considering the fighting abilities of Barney and Alyx we witnessed in the games (esp. Alyx).

0mar said:
I hate instant death effects though. Definately should not kill mission critical AI on a single hit though. There's very little you can do sometimes One bad bounce and it's a reload? No thanks.

I hated when Barney died during the Nexus section that way :(

just take your vaporization like a man and hit quickload, psh gamers today and their "hitpoints" and "shields" back in my day when you were hit you died, fell down a hole, died, brushed against an enemy, died, walked into a thorny bush, died... died died died

Remember tho, if it's on hard, you're playing it in that setting for a reason. ;)

Also I dunno about you guys, but Elites are nothing like the threat HL2 guides all claim them to be. They're more badass than normal soldiers only cuz they're guaranteed to have pulse rifles (and that shouldn't even count: soldiers can have shotguns).

Just my take.

Flyingdebris said:
just take your vaporization like a man and hit quickload, psh gamers today and their "hitpoints" and "shields" back in my day when you were hit you died, fell down a hole, died, brushed against an enemy, died, walked into a thorny bush, died... died died died

Dying because you walked into something or got shot or fell into a hole (liek in Contra) is totally different than having an energy orb killing you in one hit. With Contra, everything is dodgable and it's only one being too slow or making a bad decision that causes a death. However, to die because you did nothing wrong but simply got unlucky is bad. It's akin to dropping you into a pit of lava with zero warning. Yes, you can reload and jump over that spot next time, but there's something unsatisfying about that. If the orb was more easibly avoidable, I'm all for it, but it should not kill Alyx/Barney in one hit because they can't think like a human being.

The purpose of a game is to be fun, realism is secondary.

Because Elites are rare, I think they should be one shot kill. Games are supposed to be a challenge, there's nothing more fun than seeing how long you can go without picking up health.

Back