Portal is Free

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
<div align="center"></div>[br]

Celebrating the release of Steam for Mac today, Valve has released the award-winning Portal for free. Until May 24th.

So you only have a few days to decide if your free copy of Portal is worth the price we're currently charging - which is you ever-so-slightly moving your index finger just barely enough to click the big red "download" button right there to the left.

Go get it now. Now go watch a video.

That's pretty awesome. I don't have a copy on my steam account so I'll be downloading this.

I bought it three years ago so lol.

Indeed it is cool. Steam is getting hammered right now though. I'm trying to download it on my iMac and it says the server is too busy handling requests.

Okay, just tried again and it's downloading. Looking forward to seeing how well this plays.

They should make it by donation and raise 1 billion dollars for charity.

They should make it by donation and raise 1 billion dollars for charity.
Yeah they could, but then all those kids won't bother and will miss out on the fun. Then they won't beg their mothers for Portal 2 when it launches later this year. Valve is usin' science!

Everyone who exists in the world right now, just activate this freebie even if you don't install it right now. This is basically free money and sex combined.

I feel like creating a bajillion accounts too....but will I need a Mac for this???

I'm sure Valve knows that PC users are far too self-entitled for this offer to be Mac only

I think this is the perfect time to make my girlfriend a steam account. She loved portal, and when she finally gets a laptop of her own, it can be the first thing she plays on it.

Grabbed a copy for my girlfriend's Steam account :)

Yay. Now my girlfriend can stop hijacking my steam account to play portal on!

wonder how the hell valve can amke money whit all these free giveaways

*looks at price of merchandise of the valve store*

oh I see

wonder how the hell valve can amke money whit all these free giveaways

*looks at price of merchandise of the valve store*

oh I see

Also, all these people will likely buy Portal 2.

So with this Free release would I be able to download the Source SDK or not? Probably not but just asking..

Edit: Nvm, I think it is included.

Also, all these people will likely buy Portal 2.

All? You underestimate the amount of people who will take free shit any chance they get any never buy anything. Particularly if they're not interested in the game.

Case in point:

If L4D were free, I'd get it and play it, but I still wouldn't buy L4D2. I'm just not interested enough.

All? You underestimate the amount of people who will take free shit any chance they get any never buy anything. Particularly if they're not interested in the game.

Case in point:

If L4D were free, I'd get it and play it, but I still wouldn't buy L4D2. I'm just not interested enough.

Ok, "all" was an optimistic estimate. Fact is, Valve has to build a Portal fanbase on Macintosh to sell the upcoming Portal 2, so giving it away for free is a good move, in my opinion.
Also, this is a usual modus operandi by Valve, with HL2 and Ep1 for free in the Orange Box.

Don't believe the florist when he tells you that Portal is free.

Ok, "all" was an optimistic estimate. Fact is, Valve has to build a Portal fanbase on Macintosh to sell the upcoming Portal 2, so giving it away for free is a good move, in my opinion.
Also, this is a usual modus operandi by Valve, with HL2 and Ep1 for free in the Orange Box.

I never said it wasn't a good idea. I know this is typical Valve, and it indeed is a smart move.

GG Valve.

EFOH6.jpg

LoL 63 that is so funny! And yet sadly it's still mostly true for macs. The mighty mouse is mostly a step backwards IMO. Horrible, horrible mouse.

I loaded up Portal and messed around on the first level to see how things run. Loading was very fast to what I'm used to(might not mean much in reality) but I was having a hard time getting smooth framerates.
I didn't mess with it very long, but I'm going to try again later today and see what settings it takes to play nicely.

mac's have right click functionality.

/retards who don't know macs can still right click.

Though, it's still an awfully uncomfortable mouse and I hate using one everyday in the labs.

oh yeah the mighty mouse is horrible, i agree. it has some pretty lolworthy low reviews on the apple store site. or it did.

i just use a stock universal mouse on my mac.

you think the mighty mouse is horrible? try the magic mouse.:upstare:

i would love to see how casual users get used to it now that steam is out.

While we're at it, I found I have a problem with the SDK not showing up under 'Tools' after installing the free Portal - there is just no such item there. I can't even install and run mods.

Is this because it is "free" or is there another problem?

I'm guessing that's FPS? That is pretty bad. The Hackintosh has pretty crazy specs and it still doesn't run that great. Oh well, you'd be silly to have a system like that and use the Mac OS to play games.

88 FPS is considered bad? Isn't that well beyond the threshold for not being able to notice the framerate any more?

Back