Portal - related to Half-life?

I doubt they'll do that :| It would take away from the whole "You are gordon/adrian". I also doubt this will feature Adrian :|

Quite some time ago, Valve was thinking about making "Alyx background levels" furthermore Alyx is Valve's (or at least Gabe's favorite) character, so yes it is very possible. It would also help fill in certain story gaps if they get separated somewhere down the episodic line.

"Alyx background levels"

And im pretty sure by that they mean stuff like Episode 1 :| Meaning you got to see alot more of Alyx, how she reacted to certian things, how she feels about gordon, etc.

No, way before Ep1 was even in development they were thinking out it, but then they switched to the EP1 format. After the episodic trilogy, who knows where HL will take us.

Alright..so if they switched to EP1 format than what would be the point of playing her if were going to get alot more backround on her through EP2, and probably EP3 that is considering she doesn't meet a tragic end D: I think EP4 will most likely be Adrian (just to shut people up) or some new character.

Adrian is likely considering how popular he is. But Valve likes Alyx, so EP4 is a prime opportunity to finish and conclude her story if Gordon and Alyx are separated indefinitely after Ep3, (if she doesn't die in Ep2). Who knows? I'm just saying it is very likely they will use Alyx, but it all depends on how the episodic trilogy concludes.

"Wouldn't work, wouldn't happen"--and I say that is simply your opinion.

Alyx talks. She is a fully fleshed out character in every shape and form. Taking the game to her would not work. As you cannot feel as though you are Alyx - you cannot be Alyx. It wouldn't work and it can't. Gordon works because you are Gordon. Alyx has been brought vividly into the game-world.

Going back to the topic of this thread; it could very well be that Portal is part of the Half Life 2 story arc or a tech demo for what will later be implemented in later episodes. The Gman seems to use some kind of portal creating devise since he appears and then disappears before we get a second look at him. He also come out of thin air right in front of us at the end of both Half Life 2 and Half Life 1. Maybe the Kleiner and his fellow scientists found a way to harness his telaporting abilities in a weapon?

Alyx talks. She is a fully fleshed out character in every shape and form. Taking the game to her would not work. As you cannot feel as though you are Alyx - you cannot be Alyx. It wouldn't work and it can't. Gordon works because you are Gordon. Alyx has been brought vividly into the game-world.

They already have an expansion centering around Barney. Also, I think it would be interesting to play as a developed character in the series who has interactions with other people and an actual personality, though not necessarily Alyx. They could even change the gameplay mechanics to accomodate this, giving the different characters a different feel.

Also, the portal gun will probably create the same type of portals than enemies would flood in from in HL1, so it makes sense that the game could take place during the time period of the first game.

Nobody knows what Valve is doing---or planning--for the future. They are not going to employ the "MC doesn't talk" theme throughout all expansions/episodes that don't feature Gordon. Some think too hard about it. Valve is being new and innovative, they have proven that. In a recent interview, Valve has stated that they might be interested in doing expansion packs focusing on different perspectives. Perhaps not EP4, but in another expansion maybe (IGN I think was the source of the interview). Nothing can be proven or disproven. I, for one, am keeping an open mind.

Alyx will never be the main character. Get it out of your heads.

You don't know that Alyx won't be the MC of a separate expansion, deal with it.

I don't have to deal with it because neither you nor I know that for sure.

Sorry, but given the current point in time I don't have to. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. Let's leave it at that shall we?

They already have an expansion centering around Barney. Also, I think it would be interesting to play as a developed character in the series who has interactions with other people and an actual personality, though not necessarily Alyx. They could even change the gameplay mechanics to accomodate this, giving the different characters a different feel.

That was Gearbox' game. Blue Shift was centered around a security guard who happened to be called Barney Calhoun. Valve decided to use him for HL2, but you have to understand that he was never intended to be a fully fleshed out character.

You don't know that Alyx won't be the MC of a separate expansion, deal with it.

No. Listen.

She won't be. Deal with it.

Alyx will never be the main character. Get it out of your heads.

Ep4 will have a standalone story arc and will be made outside from Valve. That with the fact that Valve decided to make those episodes in-huose , not like in the past with Gearbox expansions , tells us that Ep4 will surley won't have Alyx as the playable char.

The weapon in it is called Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device
ASHPD
A.SHPD

Ahem.

That was Gearbox' game. Blue Shift was centered around a security guard who happened to be called Barney Calhoun. Valve decided to use him for HL2, but you have to understand that he was never intended to be a fully fleshed out character.

No. Listen.

Alright, I emailed LaidLaw (who was kind enought to reply to my bothersome email). Here's what he had to say:

"I personally don't see how that would work. Alyx is a creation of animation and audio. If you were to play Alyx, you wouldn't see any of her animations, and her motivations are (I think) more interesting when they are her own, and somewhat mysterious. But perhaps there would be some way to do this. "

When he put it that way, it makes sense. But, keep in mind he didn't say it is impossible and "perhaps there would be some way to do this"

Chance of Alyx as an MC .0000000001 %

Alright, I emailed LaidLaw (who was kind enought to reply to my bothersome email). Here's what he had to say:

"I personally don't see how that would work. Alyx is a creation of animation and audio. If you were to play Alyx, you wouldn't see any of her animations, and her motivations are (I think) more interesting when they are her own, and somewhat mysterious. But perhaps there would be some way to do this. "

When he put it that way, it makes sense. But, keep in mind he didn't say it is impossible and "perhaps there would be some way to do this"

Chance of Alyx as an MC .0000000001 %

Which pretty much translates into what I said:

:p ...

But, keep in mind he didn't say it is impossible and "perhaps there would be some way to do this"

Yeah, because he can't exactly provide a definate statement on anything.

Which pretty much translates into what I said:

:p ...

Yeah, because he can't exactly provide a definate statement on anything.

In regards to the first comment,what differentiated Marc's comment from your own was when he talked about her motivations being more interesting as a secondary character. I guess because he went in more in depth, or something like that :p

In regards to the second, yes, because he is keeping an open mind. Hey, when HL1 launched, they had no idea that they would make an HL2. It's not the same thing, but you know what I'm trying to say. We'll resume this argument about 10 years down the line when Valve has run out of ideas and they contemplate using Alyx as the main character:rolling:

Wait, whats Laidlaws email address?

I believe it's [email protected]
But i'll check (I have an email from him)

Sent : June 18, 2006 5:45:15 PM
To : <[email protected]>
CC : "Valve" <[email protected]>
Subject : Concerned

Go to previous message | Go to next message | Delete | Inbox
Hi, Alex,

Many of us, including myself, are big fans of the truly funny Concerned--but that's not a Concerned reference. Lots of the citizens in City 17 considered Dr. Breen's broadcasts and announcements to be his "show." I figure that from time to time he broke out of the lecture format and provided a bit more in the way of entertainment. I personally missed the jugglers episode, but the citizens have been talking about it ever since.

Yours,
Marc Laidlaw

Judging by the mention of gun turrets, I believe we may be taken back to the Black Mesa Research Facility, and animate a scientist from the Lambda Complex team, employing an experimental portal-creating device.

Hey, if they manufactured the Gauss gun/Tau Cannon, Gluon gun and the Displacer, what would prevent them from making a portal-ble device? ;)

-- Mikael Grizzly

because if they could make a portal gun which allows instantaneous travel from one place to another, why would they be wringing their hands over point to point teleportation for the entirety of hl2?

and if any reference is made to Concerned, I hope it's Dr. Breen's line from this comic: http://www.hlcomic.com/index.php?date=2005-12-14

Let's see. They would dabble in point-to-point teleporttion because...

1. It's experimental.
2. The portal propably can't be too far apart.
3. Living beings haven't yet been tested.
4. Sheer power amount needed by the gun to work.
5. Portal storms interfere with the portals.
6. Nuff said'.

-- Mikael Grizzly

Er...what if Portal is all about the supposed experimental weapons being developed to fight the combine.

I'd imagine a gun that shot portals would be pretty damn useful

and that perhaps the game Portal is like a huge Hazard Course.
I am intrigued by the A SHPD abbreviation. The abbreviation sounds too damn ackward to not be a coincidence

I just watched the trailer on Steam, and...well it looks AWESOME! I NEED THIS!

With this new "gun" is it possible to lob portals or is a straight-forward, portal appears where you shoot?

Looking forward to this trailer though...So many games and mods at once!!!

Hey, if they manufactured the Gauss gun/Tau Cannon, Gluon gun and the Displacer, what would prevent them from making a portal-ble device?

Except the portal gun (A.SHPD (GOD I HATE SHEPARD!!)) was made by aperture laboratories.

Back