Portal Video

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
An absolutely stunning preview of what's in store for us when Portal is released alongside Half-Life 2: Episode Two has been uploaded to GameSpot. Head over to the HL2: EP2 page there and check it out.

Whoa, that's stunning! Also, the source engine was looking surprisingly good. Was it just bad video quality, or was there motion blur?

edit: ugh I can't watch it from Gamespot. Does anyone have an alternate link?

Have we been able to confirm that Portal is a part of the HL2 universe? If so, the environments looks very Combine-like. Perhaps Aperture is some kind of underground lab on Earth that was able to avoid the Portal Storms because of their own portal technology. I don't know. Just a thought.

Woah gets really interesting towards the end

:O

Utterly awesome!!!!!!!!

Now if only this, and all that other awesome code that valve has been producing could be somehow worked into the sdk :D

This game may very well eclipse ep2!

And I thought Valve reached the limit of original guns with the gravity gun...

If only they managed to squeeze this out before Prey, this would've been revolutionary. Pretty amazing gameplay opportunities in Portal.... can't wait to play it.

1107_0005.jpg

wow - I'm in love

Imagine if they had made an Opposing Force Expansion with that as the interpretation of the teleport gun - hell even Samon would have loved it :p
Looks unbelievably awesome and beautiful - I hope its sold seperately from Episode 2

This looks absolutely incredible. Wow, I just watched the video twice in a row...and man my mind is still boggled.

By the design, I would suggest this would follow some sort of Combine story line, due to the use of the white, minimalist nature of the gun and sentry.

I just got to wonder, when you're stuck in the infinite loop, can you see the back of your playermodel? This is just so wicked.

looks nasty....graphics looks great, hopefully they actually look that good.

ROFL!

Imagine multiplayer, where you set up a trap so that there is a portal in the ceiling, and right as someone runs under it you make a portal on the floor so they get stuck in the infinite loop :D

A revolution all over again...I don't think Valve will ever stop...

portaldude.jpg

portaldude2.jpg

A glimpse at the player... well, at least it's human. :)

the motion blur and dof really make it look amazing

in prey and narbacular drop, distant portals will turn black... I noticed in portal they will instead just show the surface behind
looks kinda weird

Looks totally brilliant. While the concept isn't new (valve on the purchasing trail again?) it looks really, really interesting to play, and the possibilities in level design & variation look to be very varied :D

ROFL!

Imagine multiplayer, where you set up a trap so that there is a portal in the ceiling, and right as someone runs under it you make a portal on the floor so they get stuck in the infinite loop :D

air control would prevent an infinite loop :p

Utterly awesome!!!!!!!!

Now if only this, and all that other awesome code that valve has been producing could be somehow worked into the sdk :D

This game may very well eclipse ep2!

What else could eclipse another Valve game, except another Valve game?!

..........................Speechless................
So smooth, so amazing. Looks just as smooth as Prey's portals

Portal is nothing new - Quake 3 had already that except firing it wherever you want it.

Portal is nothing new - Quake 3 had already that except firing it wherever you want it.
First person shooters aren't new either. Wolfenstein 3d had the concept down in like 93. Nothing is new, it's implementation of the concept that matters, and this is pretty new, especially for a title from a top-notch superdeveloper like Valve.

watching it again I realize I was wrong about the distant portal thing

while I'm picking nits though, it does seem to have trouble with lighting on objects going through portals
also, that cotton candy color scheme for the portals is ugly :)

Why does Valve have to raise the bar so high with nearly every title release? Can't they give the other guys a break? Wait, no, they can't and shouldn't! GO VALVE!

First person shooters aren't new either. Wolfenstein 3d had the concept down in like 93. Nothing is new, it's implementation of the concept that matters, and this is pretty new, especially for a title from a top-notch superdeveloper like Valve.

Ok, the implementation of technology is something where VALVe has no competition and their use of portals is truly mind boggling. :p

Back