Portal Video

^ LOL I was wondering how you'd react to this trailer, knowing how excited you get over EVERY new game announced. :LOL:

Looks fantastic, love the design of the gun. The only problem is that is the gun always going to be blurred? I personally find myself looking down at my weapons to admire their design and the lighting (gravity gun the burning Citadle was breathtaking).

Looks fantastic, love the design of the gun. The only problem is that is the gun always going to be blurred? I personally find myself looking down at my weapons to admire their design and the lighting (gravity gun the burning Citadle was breathtaking).

The blur is a post processing effect called depth of field - you should be able to turn it off, if by a console command. It's a pretty processor heavy task, so I wouldn't expect it to be on by default.

Portal is set within this Half-life universe - this was confirmed by Doug Lombardi whom I emailed concerning the matter. So yes, it is.

Care to share the e-mail?

ho ho ho let's completely copy prey and make it seem like it's a new "technology"

ho ho ho let's completely copy prey and make it seem like it's a new "technology"

Prey was a First Person shooter and this game is a puzzle game. Just because both have portals (And having something you can go through isn't new) doesn't mean that Valve stole anything off Prey.

Looks pretty cool but I think I would probably get bored ot it after a while, just because I have a 2 second attention span.

What would a short attention span have to do with it? :| By the looks of just the first level it looks like there will be levels that will require to be pretty quick in solving out the puzzle.

Well I was exaggerating, but I estimate that the first 10 or 20 levels will be really cool and interesting. Then the novelty will wear off, the puzzle variety will diminish and I'll be bored.

Well I was exaggerating, but I estimate that the first 10 or 20 levels will be really cool and interesting. Then the novelty will wear off, the puzzle variety will diminish and I'll be bored.

I can't imagine that there would be more than 15 or 20 levels.

[speculation]The first 5 would probably be similar to the first one...just getting out. The next 6-10 would add the sentry gun. 11-15 would add 'triggers' (pushing the block into a containment field or capturing the combine energy ball as seen in the vids) on top of all of that. Then 15-20 would be the really big really hard levels seen at the end of the video. Just my opinion, but I kind of saw this more as a 'proof of concept' or a tech-demo than as an actual game with 20+ levels and 4+ hours of gameplay.

Well Xilli there are a lot of possibilites with this... for example when playing Narbacular Drop your momentum, speed, etc.. everything goes with you when going through a portal...I've created my own levels already in that game...for some very intresting puzzles. I know I was playing user-created map... I didn't realize your momentum and velocity followed with going through a portal.

err I had a diagram but text sucks... I can't make it look right so the next paragraph wont make sense.

Now everything after the Lava is metal and you cannot make a portal on it. Well I was wondering how the hell you do it. Well you have to make a portal that you jump on and one right before the lava. Since your falling you gain some speed, well that speed stays with you when coming out the one near the lava allowing you to complete the jump. It took me a while to figure this out.

It was simple and took a lot of brain work because I simply had never experinced anything like it. Now lets throw in moving objects, etc.... Now lets allow users to create their own maps with this... I can see some extremely intense ideas being made that require some very skilled accuracy and timing and brain power.

Looks pretty interesting and like it'll get extremly hard later in the game. Nice use of ideas from other peoples games or mods, like yeah portals will seem to be coppied from prey but theyve used them in a very unique way so it'll be interesting to see where it goes. Kudos to them for making this.

This game will be the perfect platform for quick and easy custom levels.

It's interesting because you'll have to stop and THINK for a while, use your brain in order to move forward, as opposed to moving forward and using your reflexes just to shoot everything, like all FPS games are. Not that I dislike FPS or anything, but hell yeah a puzzle-solving game will be very, very nice. I like having to stop and think really hard to figure stuff out.

And what's with people saying valve ripped prey off anyway? It's not like portals had never been used in a game before prey. It's not like valve was not even developing this game for a longe time before prey came out, and just rushed it in a couple of weeks since prey came out and they "stole" the idea. And the portals in Prey are nothing special really, most of them work pretty much like a door, you walk through them in order to get into another room. Valve is doing something completely different, and much more creative.

Plus, valve bought the team that developed Narbacular Drop ages ago. So if they're "stealing" (more like buying) anything, it's that. And by that logic Prey stealed it first, so duh.

Ever heard of Narbacular Drop? Oh, well, its team was hired by Valve to make Portal together on 12th April 2005, when no one was sure whether Prey was vapourware or not.

OMG The character is Zidane! Look at his bald spot :p

I Would prefer to say that Ep2 is coming with Portal ;)

YES. Puzzles > Combat.

I believe Gamespot mentioned this in one of the articles, but I think they used the wrong description.

Yes, that must have been the article I read the other day that had a direct quote from Gabe that it was "set in the Half-Life 2 world" but the article was conveniently edited. I was wondering why I couldn't find it.

Holy! Now that is one game I am REALLY looking forward to! First game in a while since HL2 release I've been really, really excited about. Amazing.

I have to say I dont like the fact that they are working on 5 things(maybe more) at the same time. Both CS:S and DOD:S still need some updates, they have to work on the episodes to finish the hl2 story, they are working on TF2 and now they are working on portals to.

That shouldn't really matter because Valve has basically hired new separate teams for each of these projects. For instance, the Narbacular Drop team was hired to make Portals, so it shouldn't slow down production of any of the other games being made. It can only help by having more assets being made and more talented programmers/artists.

And what's with people saying valve ripped prey off anyway? It's not like portals had never been used in a game before prey. It's not like valve was not even developing this game for a longe time before prey came out, and just rushed it in a couple of weeks since prey came out and they "stole" the idea. And the portals in Prey are nothing special really, most of them work pretty much like a door, you walk through them in order to get into another room. Valve is doing something completely different, and much more creative.
Well to date everyone had implemented them differently to prey thats where the comparisons come in. Preys implementation was originally shown by 3d realms 10 years ago so it certainly was their idea and definetly beat valve. At the time (96/97) everyone else had simply used teleporters which while taking you from point A to point B were not capable of such interaction between the 2 locations. That said such issues arent even worth discussing, everyone uses ideas from one another and its a great thing. Just remember that Prey is 10 years old and it was shown again at E3 last year which would have been easily enough time for Valve to jump on the idea having seen it then.

So yes it was preys idea but not only is their use completly different to valves but its not even a new idea and it shouldnt matter who had it first anyway. Comparing portals to doors doesnt do the feature justice at all but, its a completly different can of worms.

From what I can see prey and Portal dont even belong in the same genre. Portal doesnt look like it will have any combat at all besides using portals to take out senctury guns. looks like its a comparison between 1st person shooter and 1st person strategy.

I imagine this will be a favourite for speedruns. hopefully they include a clock.

On Steam News:

Steam News said:
Portal is a new type of single player game that changes how players approach, manipulate, and surmise the possibilities of any given environment in a manner similar to how the Gravity Gun changed our approach to how an object may be leveraged in any given situation.

View the first Portal trailer

Yay for more trailers.

That shouldn't really matter because Valve has basically hired new separate teams for each of these projects. For instance, the Narbacular Drop team was hired to make Portals, so it shouldn't slow down production of any of the other games being made. It can only help by having more assets being made and more talented programmers/artists.

No offence to them, but I doubt the ND team created the art assets for portal. They probably worked on coneptual stuff and programming, but Portal probably ate up some time for Valves content creators.

No offence to them, but I doubt the ND team created the art assets for portal. They probably worked on coneptual stuff and programming, but Portal probably ate up some time for Valves content creators.

How small do you think Valve is? Valve is a massive development house - and most big development houses are working on several projects at once. It's very unlikely this game is pushing any other release chedules significantly.

Puzzle games aren't my favourite games, but Portal could change that... :D
It looks amazing!

How small do you think Valve is? Valve is a massive development house - and most big development houses are working on several projects at once. It's very unlikely this game is pushing any other release chedules significantly.

I didn't say it would push any release dates. I said I think the N-Drop employees got help from established Valve artists, wich judging by your post you agree with. :p

A few questions

A few questions.

Is it confirmed that this is being released alongside EP2 and TF2?

If so, any ideas how much the EP2, TF2 and Portal package is going to cost?

I didn't bother buying Ep1, that should cause no issues, should it?

A few questions.

It was already stated by VALVe EP2 will come with TF2 & Portal. Not buying EP1 should not affect you, unless you start to play EP2 (then you will have missed out on a whole good chunk of the story line).

Yes.

Quote from Valve;
Valve said:
Team Fortress 2 and Portal will be included with all retail and Steam versions of Episode Two for the PC.

Not known yet.

You're missing out, I should go out and get it if I were you. :)

If only they managed to squeeze this out before Prey, this would've been revolutionary. Pretty amazing gameplay opportunities in Portal.... can't wait to play it.

yeah I thought the same thing. This gun kinda reminds me of the portal gun in halflife (or was it opposing force?).

What else could eclipse another Valve game, except another Valve game?!

Yeah definitely. This game totally eclipsed team fortress 2. Valve have made up for the horrid TF2 with Portal!

I'll be willing to shell out €50,- for just Portal with Hammer support ;)

Asking 50 bucks for EP2 + TF2 + Portal is fully justified imo, and wouldn't hold it against Valve.

I would pay $20 for EP2 and $40 for Portal (with Hammer Support) and $0.00 for TF2.

Take a look at the "Special Thanks" section of ND's credits.
;)

Looks like revolution! Idea is really genial, I love this "weapon" (Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device) and I hope it will be official part of Half-Life storyline...
Valve FTW!

Back