Post (YouTube) just one track...

lePobz

Tank
Reaction score
... that is most memorable to you, for one reason or another.

Here's mine. Timeless tune, and brings back great memories of growing up.

WRAAHHHHHH

RRROOOOAOAOAOOAOOOOOOORRRRAAAHHHHHH

WRROOOHHHAAAAAAAANEEEEEEEEHHHHHHH

WHROOAAAAAHHHHH LEEEAADDEE MMMEEEEENNNSSA KAALLTTT MAAAIITTTTEEERRRRRR

BRWRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It's Finnish.

I find it hilarious just how much importance people place on vocals in music. I've actually played the most brutal shit in the world before, and some people have said "awesome, except for the vocals." What do you expect? The Backstreet Boys singing eight-way computer-generated harmonies on top? Give me a break. As soon as you add even a hint of growling, snarling, screaming, etc., everyone turns away, no matter how melodic (or not) the music actually is.

WWRRRBBBBBBRRAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHGHHGGGRRRRGGGRRRRLLLLLL

I actually thought the song was ok, except for the skinny nerd covered in fake blood yelling his voice all to shit.

Seriously, the growling black metal voice is crap. Song would have been awesome if he had just sang normally. When he's talking at the beginning of the video, his voice sounds fine. There was no need for him to go all hccckkkkgggnnh all over it.

Also- the keyboard would have been ok for a little contrast, but that was waaaay too much contrast.

Yeah, he isn't exactly the best guy out there when it comes to stage presence, and his voice does tend to be a lot better in the studio. Moonsorrow do use clean vocals, for the record, but the ratio is probably about 20/80 or so for clean to black. It really is an acquired taste, I'll admit, but it annoys me to no end that people are so fixated on the vocals that they won't listen to the music at all. The huge advantage of death/black metal vocals is that you can instantly communicate emotion with them in a way that you simply can't with regular singing styles.
I'll be honest with you - the music itself, in that song, was okay. The vocals? The only emotion that was communicated to me was "grr!" I could not understand a word he was saying. Was he happy? Was he lamenting the loss of a loved one? Was he decrying the state of public affairs? Was he growling about demons and white light?

The meaning in lyrics is communicated equally through lyricism, melody, and delivery. If you hit all the notes in your wonderfully-written song but you sing like you really wished you were doing something else, you suck. If you sing great lyrics with lots of emotional drive, but you can't hit a note to save your life, you suck. If your lyrics are great and you've got all the power in the world behind your voice, but I can't understand what you're singing, you suck.

Also, Geogaddi... techno? Jesus Christ, if there is one genre considered to be in worse taste than metal, it's that rotting shit that you listen to.
Techno only gets a bad rap because of pop techno, which is popular for the same reason hardcore rap is. I have no idea why that shit is popular.

Techno is built on the same principles as every other kind of music. Good melodies, good harmonies, arrangements that are at least decent, instruments (or in some cases, synth-instruments) that complement each other, etc etc. It doesn't make a difference whether or not you're actually "playing" whichever instruments are in your song, because in the end any kind of music is nothing but noise. The only thing that separates good music from bad music is whether the noise it makes is pleasing to the ear.

Why does every thread have to turn into an argument? Just shut the hell up and let people post their tracks. Please?

Now, this is the most beautiful song in the world, nearly sobbed like a baby when I first heard it.

That BoC video is great, gotta love that Joseph Kittinger.

Edit: Actually, I'm torn with the above and this...Lovely.

Edit 2: Y'know what, I can't decide...

Donkey Rhubarb scares me. The video for On, however, is brilliant.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't actually watch the video, I just saw 'Rhubarb' and thought it was just a wrongly titled video of Donkey Rhubarb. I completly forgot there was a track called it from SAWII. That is beautiful, however.

Don't worry, I'm not that much of an idiot, and I don't really mind electronic music (Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Wumpscut, etc. are all pretty cool) that, much; I was just playing this idiot's game of "let's base all our opinions of an entire genre of music on one song".

I said that? I'm pretty sure I was just growling at you.

Back