Preload Started!

You may not want to stay up this late, depending on where you live, but around midnight PST was when I finally managed to get the download started. Not saying this will work for others, but lower usage may be around this time. It finished probably within 20-25 minutes, running between 1 mb/sec at its lowest and 2.7mb/sec at its maximum download speed.

Also, I dunno if location has anything to do with the pre-load (proximity to content servers, ease of connectability etc) but I do live within driving distance of Valve. Perhaps they're treating us Northwesterners better than the rest?

I finished DL it.
It was going pretty good too. 500kbps.

But I am soooo angry.
Valve said something and then it happened.
I am furious.

i've been trying to prload for 7 hours now and it still didn't work

got mine off the torrent @ 379 kb/s. Instead of waiting just get it off there.

:thumbs:

KillaH said:
i've been trying to prload for 7 hours now and it still didn't work

You might need to give it a day or so. There are tons (read: thousands) of HL fans out there scrambling to get the preload. It'll take a while for things to calm down.

soz if its been posted but ...How big is this pre-load?

edit : i just seen the BT its around 1GB, thats pretty big :) good news.

can u post a link to dl bittorrent ^^ and the link to dl the cache files plz

I can't be bothered with this preload.

It's so unecessary.

nah that post was unecessary

so is this one atm

so i will add:

ive been waitin for a while now still too many peeps d/l
shouldnt have gone to bed last night :(

-e- ok forget that just got on, d/l at 658 k/bs

my preloading has stopped in the same place for about 6 hours now, should i cancel it sand start again?

pre-load

Do you think the pre-load will be easier to download towards the night because i haven't managed to preload the data all day.

when you get done with a preload, where is the hl2 preload file located on your pc?

six_storm said:
when you get done with a preload, where is the hl2 preload file located on your pc?
It's in the SteamApps folder.

'base source shared materials.gcf' is what it's called.

Letters said:
It's in the SteamApps folder.

'base source shared materials.gcf' is what it's called.
but it doesn't really matter anyway, you can't really do anything with it

EDIT: Off topic - 301th post in this thread :p

The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle any more preloads of Half-Life 2. Please try again in a few hours.

It's been like this all day :(

I don't mind if it's busy it's just it doesn't tell me the server is busy, I just want to know where I stand.

Organizer said:
The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle any more preloads of Half-Life 2. Please try again in a few hours.

It's been like this all day :(

I have a physical copy on pre-order so I'm not gonna bother for the sake of others.

I've been reading posts on the steam forum and there are people saying that you need to cancel it before it'll work again!

What?!

Whats the point in being able to pause it if you need to cancel and start again?

What concerns me is the fact that before it used to say server busy but now it says and does nothing.

Help.

yea im hating this preload thing. I paused it at 73% done last night to goto bed, woke up... just froze. Had to cancel it then start all over again. Now its going increadibly slow. 140 kb/ps then sometimes "--"

Hate it.

i thionk it should be handy if VALVe made a waiting que sio you click on preload and you just have to wait untill you can pre-load and don't have to check back every 5 min to see if it starts.

If your preload gets stuck (Mine did at 85%) it means you cannot reconnect to the content servers right now, you dont need to cancel and start again, you need to wait till theres a spot.

Does anyone know if it would be worthwhile to get the preload if I plan on buying HL2 at the store? Will it allow me to skip the installation process? I don't really want to e-mail Valve about this if someone already knows.

how do u reconnect to the content server? do u just keep hitting pause than resume a lot of times?

alan8325 said:
Does anyone know if it would be worthwhile to get the preload if I plan on buying HL2 at the store? Will it allow me to skip the installation process? I don't really want to e-mail Valve about this if someone already knows.

Think about it this way:
If you have a high speed internet connection (xDSL/Cable/etc.), it shouldn't be a problem for you to download HL2 off of Steam. It will be released for a full download on Steam probably a week or so before release. Then, you can download the ENTIRE game on the date they allow you to. So, as soon as it is the official release date of the game, you can go out, buy the CDs/DVDs, come home, type in your CD-Key, and voila, you will be playing instantly. Otherwise, you will have to wait for the CDs/DVDs to install. This way, your discs never get touched or used, and you don't have to wait an extra 5 mins for it to install, since you pre-loaded a week ago. Sounds good, no?

finished pre-loading :bounce:

anybody know when the next pre-load is schedualed

That .cfg file is 1 GB when it's complete. Here it donwloads only like 500MB. I had downloaded 250mb or so and it was at 50%.

But I could be wrong here.

Back