Program to make movies?

D

deecrypt

ive tryed fraps but it only records like 15sec of video and its a like 130mb file, i tryed it at 1600x1200 and the file was 750mb for 15sec

Divx... is it a video player? recorder? it says it can use its codec to make the movie size smaller, does it record movies?

i want to get where some people make 8min long movies and its 70mb big

whats the best progam to use?

record in game
open console
record demoname.dem
when you want to stop type stop in console

thats to convert dem into bmp (images) then bmp into avi

Is there any other way, Dasparov? That takes up sooo many gigs, it aint funny!

Run at lower resolutions.

Make your movies shorter

and use a compression program to make smaller files.

DivX is a compression program to make smaller files with better quality.

use vegas, adobe premiere, or windows movie maker 2 to put all the large sized movies into one timeline, then compress them together into one smaller, well compressed file (use divx codec preferably, its the best)

Fraps can't compress the video as it's recording it, it would take up too much processing power. Compress the video after it's done recording. Try Windows Media Encoder, you can make very compressed WMV files with it.

I had this in other forums....maybe here too? **scratches head **

me said:
After seeing a few AVI's made with fraps ( www.fraps.com ), I D/L it and started recording a section of play on Highway 17. Then I did it again, and again... and again. Even when using the same attack style, the end result could vary greatly. The AVI's are only 30 seconds so it gives you an "objective timer" so to speak. With only 30 seconds to complete whatever section of the map has been chosen, a person can play it several times and see what various attacks, weapons and tactics they can get away with. PLUS, the physics get recorded in some really nice sequences. Try this on hard and without HUD and Xhairs for a little extra challenge.

A few examples:
http://www.4estgimp.com/HL2/fraps/doll9357-11-30 01-42-10-13c.avi
http://www.4estgimp.com/HL2/fraps/flip-11-29 02-37-25-16c.avi
http://www.4estgimp.com/HL2/fraps/Die-11-30 01-53-46-04c.avi
http://www.4estgimp.com/HL2/fraps/Jordan 11-30 01-58-33-46c.avi (speaking of physics)

Learn to drive (the speed bump and the end are the only interesting parts) http://www.4estgimp.com/HL2/fraps/Rollin-11-30 02-11-15-26C.avi

Beware the APC. I did this while trying to get it to "dance" again. Once I flipped it from upside down to rightside up and it had a damn seizure, bouncing and twitching a few feet off the ground. I didn't manage to get it to repeat this. :(
http://www.4estgimp.com/HL2/fraps/apc 11-29 02-03-39-75c.avi

For anyone else who might want to try this, here are the settings I used.

1024x768

Fraps Movies:
15fps
Half-sized

AVI's were compressing using VirtualDub www.virtualdub.org and the Divx codec upon Fraps' FAQ recommendation.
Fraps said:
Using VirtualDub is quite easy. To create a compressed version of the AVI follow these steps:
# Start VirtualDub
# Select File->Open and choose the AVI in the Fraps directory you wish to compress.
# Select Video->Compression and choose the codec you wish to compress with (usually divx)
# Select File->Save As AVI and specify a filename for the new AVI.
The Divx compression settings were default except for:
Encoding Bitrate: 3000

So, lets see some other fraps runs, eh?

I finally got the APC seizure I wanted:
http://www.4estgimp.com/HL2/fraps/APC Seizure.avi

I go a a completely different route. I have a 2nd PC with a video capture card. I feed the S-Video out from my gaming system's video card to the S-Video in on the capture card in my 2nd PC. Then I record MPEG-2 at 640x480, 29.97 fps (NTSC), at 4 mbps. My NVidia GF FX5900 re-renders to this resolution on the fly, at the S-Video port, from the 1024x768, 100Hz source. (Don't ask me how it manages to do this with zero performance loss. It just does it.)

The videos come out pretty good. The best thing about it is that there's no performance hit on the game system, since it's being captured, encoded and stored on a separate box. I have about 20 GB of raw footage from HL2 so far. I need to edit it and transcode it to something like DivX, or else a DVD or two.

conquistador69 said:
I go a a completely different route. I have a 2nd PC with a video capture card. I feed the S-Video out from my gaming system's video card to the S-Video in on the capture card in my 2nd PC. Then I record MPEG-2 at 640x480, 29.97 fps (NTSC), at 4 mbps. My NVidia GF FX5900 re-renders to this resolution on the fly, at the S-Video port, from the 1024x768, 100Hz source. (Don't ask me how it manages to do this with zero performance loss. It just does it.)
It does no such thing. TV-out on vide0 c@rds is no more than the bastardization of the analog DB15 out port. All that a 4 conductor s-video signal is is a simplified RGBHV (DB15) signal. By combining certain signal lines together (along with some scan rate conversion handled off-GPU core) you get s-video, and combined even more you get composite video. The conversion from s-video to MPEG-2 is all in your capture card though. ;)

EDITED with leet to get rid of textual ad link.

omg ...
this are the only 3 words i can think of when reading this thread.

Personally I use Adobe Premier and Virtual Dub.

Fraps outputs an uncompressed (raw) avi, just import it into one of the above programs and compress using XviD.

Whoever said DivX is the best obviously hasnt made many movies. XviD kicks DivX ass.

jacen said:
try to do this with fraps you ignorants:

http://hl2.digital-ambulance.com/barrels.zip <-- xvid

But you can't post a link properly :LOL: who is ignorant?

Well I do enjoy your movies but since you neglect including the sound they pale in comparision to the others which may not be as cool but they have sound and are complete.

Edge said:
Well I do enjoy your movies but since you neglect including the sound they pale in comparision to the others which may not be as cool but they have sound and are complete.

omg
this was just a display of something you cant achieve with fraps
it was not intended to be watched for entertaining.
if you want an entertaining video, go and watch my first hl2 vid.
i know it sux bcause it has no dx9 reflections, but now i have a way around this and the next video ill release will feature everything you can see when you play on dx9 cards.

http://hl2.digital-ambulance.com/hl2_by_jacen.zip

btw .. the link you quoted works ...

The link did not work originally... he accidently quoted a post with the correction rather than your first post or mine.

jacen said:
omg
this was just a display of something you cant achieve with fraps
it was not intended to be watched for entertaining.
if you want an entertaining video, go and watch my first hl2 vid.
i know it sux bcause it has no dx9 reflections, but now i have a way around this and the next video ill release will feature everything you can see when you play on dx9 cards.

http://hl2.digital-ambulance.com/hl2_by_jacen.zip

btw .. the link you quoted works ...

Hrm wasn't putting you down hehe. Just said I wished your movies had sound.I think the quality of what you do is above the others just miss the sound.

Yeah you edited it before I quoted it... sneaky
:cheers:

m0nKeY said:
The link did not work originally... he accidently quoted a post with the correction rather than your first post or mine.
i know i know
i allready appologized that i mistyped the url
but he blamed me and didnt even take notice that i corrected the url ... he hadnt quoted it if he had .. would he? :p

True. I forgive you.

That barrel movie was quite entertaining anyway, how did you not get lag on that?

Going to get the other one you posted while I shower. :)

m0nKeY said:
how did you not get lag on that?
i used the "startmovie" and "host_framerate" commands of source.

i allready explained it detailed in 2 other threads .. i wont write the whole thing again :)
youll figure it out how to deal with this commands if you really want to make explosion videos without any lag.

Never used host_framerate making the actual movies before. Just to get to later parts of demos faster.

Don't suppose you have a link to one of these detailed threads?

Thank you...

Just watched the other one you posted, that would have made a great trailer advertisment for HL2.

Nicely put together.

corebreach said:
It does no such thing. TV-out on vide0 c@rds is no more than the bastardization of the analog DB15 out port. All that a 4 conductor s-video signal is is a simplified RGBHV (DB15) signal. By combining certain signal lines together (along with some scan rate conversion handled off-GPU core) you get s-video, and combined even more you get composite video. The conversion from s-video to MPEG-2 is all in your capture card though. ;)

EDITED with leet to get rid of textual ad link.

Hmm . . . I'm confused. On the left, 1024x768 res, refreshed 100 times per second, no interlace. On the right, 640x480 res, refreshed 29.97 times per second, using interlaced fields at twice that rate. Both left and right show the exact same image (much crisper on the left, to be sure). How is that doable with just a "bastardization" of an analog port?! Seems to me the image needs to be resampled somehow, and that doesn't just fall out of lowering the signal bandwidth. You can reduce horizontal res that way, but not vertical.

conquistador69 said:
Hmm . . . I'm confused. On the left, 1024x768 res, refreshed 100 times per second, no interlace. On the right, 640x480 res, refreshed 29.97 times per second, using interlaced fields at twice that rate. Both left and right show the exact same image (much crisper on the left, to be sure). How is that doable with just a "bastardization" of an analog port?! Seems to me the image needs to be resampled somehow, and that doesn't just fall out of lowering the signal bandwidth. You can reduce horizontal res that way, but not vertical.
The graphics are converted from their digital form at 1027x768 pixels into analog, because s-video is analog, so now its just scanning like any other tv image. Then, at the capture card the scanning is interpolated through software and hardware to a 640x480 digital stream. There is no pixel interpolation because pixels cannot be analog. CRTs don't show you pixels, they show you a precisely scanning, high resolution image that is formed in the likeness of pixels, but they aren't pixels.

Thank you. Yes, I understand how a CRT works. You're saying that the work is performed in the analog domain as much as possible, but that still leaves the vertical resampling, which can't be done the same way. (Even an analog image is not "just an image". It's a stack of raster lines.) So at least in this respect, we only differ in semantics. But I can definitely see now that the workload is much simpler than I had thought.

Hmm I hadn't considered the number of vertical lines. Maybe it uses a co-processor for video out?

I've made a program that'll take picture files (not tga's though) and convert them into an AVI using a codec of your choice, with limited motion blurring if someone can host it. 2.5MB

Back