Progress and SDK Update

Reaction score
The first general progress update from Valve has been released over Steam today, and should hopefully be the first of many informing weekly reports. It includes some interesting information on updates for Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, as well as the Source SDK.
Last week marked the end of the Half-Life 2: Deathmatch level design contest. We received over 200 submissions, and we're going through and playtesting each one. There are a number of great maps in here, and we're already having trouble picking the clear winners. The release of the winning maps will coincidice with a release of Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, which will include two new weapons: the Slam and Stunstick.[br]Also of note for level designers and Mod builders: there will be an update to the Half-Life SDK this week which most notably will include source files for six Half-Life 2 maps.[br]Lastly, work on Dave Riller's new map cs_compound continues, along with the other projects we're working on here at Valve. We'll have an update on the map and our other projects next month.
1106185465_stunstick.jpg
[br]Here's the changelog for the aforementioned SDK update, which was released today along with the progress report:
  • Added XSI addon for importing and exporting SMDs
  • Added simple SDK bot sample code for adding bots to your mod
  • Added source files for six Half-Life 2 single player maps
  • Added interface plugin to add bots to mods
  • Fixed resource leak in the SDK launcher and vconfig utiity
  • Added bspzip tool -- allows you to compile custom content directly into a .bsp

As usual, to receive the update you must restart your Steam client, at which point it will be applied automatically for you.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.. FINALLY.. the stun stick.. :smoking:

finally! thank you

(this comes just as I start to use XSI)

<3 SDK <3

i've been waiting years to compile my own custom content into .bsp's!! *squeels*

Well played valve. It's great to see them releasing original .vmf files so level designers can get an idea of how they work. Now, if only they'd release the de_aztec and de_prodigy .vmf files (as those are the standout CS:S maps in terms of looks, design and the new technology being harnessed to good effect). One can dream. ;)

wow, adding more weapons from the leak: the stunstick and the slam, before you know, we will have all of the leak weapons

I hope they release the hopwire. That thing was fun. A grenade that leaps into the air and shoots electric wires in all directions.. All the code is in the sdk but the model isn't there.

Awesome work, looks like valve was paying attn to the bots united guys :)

I truly <3 valve, if they keep this weekly update stuff up I will be impressed!

GO VALVE WOOT WOOT

Oh and they finally fixed the resource leak, sweet!

<3 valve

I'm also lost as to what exactly the Slam is. Could someone please describe it?

Wow!

DESSTROYER said:
wow, adding more weapons from the leak: the stunstick and the slam, before you know, we will have all of the leak weapons

You remember the leak??? :naughty:

No support for making custom shaders make baby Freeman cry...

It does seem to be a trip mine, which can be manually detonated aswell. There are some ss at hl2world. Sounds like fun.

just two new weapons? bleh :(
i wanted more...hell i wouldn't care if they were the spore launcher and displacer ball from OP4.
plus, i was hoping for trip mines and satchel sacks as well...oh well :|

TRIP MINES! WOOOOOOT..
That was one thing i've wished for in HL2DM.... Ohhhh the traps to be set now :D

hey i dont know if anyone noticed this but

We'll have an update on the map and our other projects next month.

I hope this means we still get the weekly updates and they havent switched it too monthly

hmmm. the slam thingy remote detonation thingy sounds verahh niiice. camping with the RPG could be a thing of the past. Hehe, die all rocket wh0r3s

cool I hope the weapons can be used in SP mode to
and that they will the OICW soon cuz HL2 lacks a rifle

Darn, now I'm going to have a silly grin fixed on my face for the rest of the day. :E The only way I could be happier is for them to announce Onslaught: Source. You can't have everything though! :)

well, i guess the slam is a tripmine AND a satchel.

Lemonking said:
cool I hope the weapons can be used in SP mode to
and that they will the OICW soon cuz HL2 lacks a rifle

the OICW was replaced for the combine pulse-rifle thing

are they goin to release SP .vmf files at all - would really help to see the triggers and things that are used for NPCs and movements and stuff... Give me the vmfs!!!!

Good idea though...

sabre0001 said:
are they goin to release SP .vmf files at all - would really help to see the triggers and things that are used for NPCs and movements and stuff... Give me the vmfs!!!!

Good idea though...

umm they just have. 6 of em

pay attention! :p

has no one else noticed that the hand holding the stunstick in that little picture is wearing Gordon's suit?

It'd be nice to have some more player models from an official source.

GonzoBabbleshit said:
umm they just have. 6 of em

pay attention! :p
I think a lot of mod teams are going to have a fit when they see the amount of special brushes, hints, triggers, portals, occluders etc. used in a relatively simple map.

Very interesting looking through them, learnt more from five minutes looking at the maps than I would have over weeks reading posts.

The Dark Elf said:
Very interesting looking through them, learnt more from five minutes looking at the maps than I would have over weeks reading posts.
You can say that again. I never realised how complex the AI was.

I think they should add the stun stick to the Combine team, and the crowbar to the Rebel team... Wouldn't need much effort.

Back