proved: ATI beats nvidia in HL2. Official everything!

Dead-Inside said:
They're equally good but Nvidia is slower but has the 3.0 shader, and Radeon is faster but has the 2.whatever shader.
What he is talking about is the shader unit in the Nvidia and ATI cards.
ATI's shader unit is faster than Nvidia's but Nvidia conforms to the PS3.0 standard which allows for more instructions and is a little more efficent. ATI does have 2.0b which is an improvment over 2.0 in the same respect as PS3.0. Games are just starting to embrace PS2.0 and most games are far from even using PS2.0 to it's fullest. That's why it's better to have a faster shader unit today.

The 6800GT is the best performance for the money at 400$ but for king of the cards I'd have to say the X800XT as well. The X800pro would match the 6800GT if the pipelines matched.

If the 6800Ultra comes out better in the games you play then go for it, although I'd still think you were crazy. The GT is within spitting distance of the Ultra and all it takes is a little OC, not worth 100$ more IMO.

Link
6800Ultra Extreme said:
Using coolbits to overclock the card we were able to raise the speeds safely to 460 mhz/1208mhz however anything more resulted in artefacts. Whilst 10 mhz/8mhz is relatively disappointing (we’d hope for at least 470 MHz on water-cooling for the core) the fact that the card is so fast in the first place lessens the disappointment.
X800XT PE said:
With the Connect3D card we used powerstrip and ended up at an overclock of 565 MHz core/601MHz memory which is an excellent result.
Tom's
Until then, the new performance leader is ATi's Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition.
Xbitlabs Summer Review 2004
6800Ultra said:
The NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra feels at its ease in low resolutions as well as when you don’t enable anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing. Besides that, NVIDIA’s new GPU outperforms its rival in older games
X800XT PE said:
The ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition develops an excellent speed across the entire spectrum of gaming applications... With enabled full-screen anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering this chip usually confirms its superiority. If you invest into a RADEON X800 XT, you can rest assured that the speed of games actively using DirectX 9 shaders will be stably high

Champ said:
You only need one card, not 3, not 17. Your ignorance is showing through. Fix it.
All this Nvidia sucks, ATI owns or Nvidia rocks, ATI schuks is pointless babbeling. You buy whatever card is cheapest and best. Simple as that. Anything else would be moronic.

Yes my ignorance....yeah sorry, hate to say but I am seriously not happy what Nvidia did with the FX cards, and you know what, I have a right to say that, cause I own one.

Buy any card that is the cheapest and best? That theory is horrible, you probably have a mx440 by that statement.

I own the worst FX card buddy, 5200 PCI 64-bit freakin' memory bus. Can't wait to get my 6800. Notice that it's called the Geforce 6800, not Geforce FX 6800. There's not really a clear winner in this generation, but here's my take:

$200 9800pro beats 5900 or 6600GT
$300 6800 beats 9800xt
$400 6800GT beats X800 pro
$500 6800U keeps getting faster with each driver update, and is just as fast as the X800XT PE, may get better with next couple updates. Until then, flip a coin.

Ender01 said:
Only one video card can fit in your computer, so why does the whole product line count?

For 200 dollars, ATI wins with the 9800pro
for 300 dollars, Nvidia wins with the 6800
for 400 dollars, Nvidia wins with the 6800GT (though the x800pro is barely behind)
for 500 dollars, ATI wins with the x800 XT PE (once it starts to sell at its MSRP)

actually...PCI express fixes that. Alienware is making this new line which has two (2) videocards using pci express.

o_O!

Dead-Inside said:
They're equally good but Nvidia is slower but has the 3.0 shader, and Radeon is faster but has the 2.whatever shader.

my 6800 NU is as fast as x800 pro in the 3dmark
and in doom 3 it owns it completly :sniper: :x

bosox188 said:
I own the worst FX card buddy, 5200 PCI 64-bit freakin' memory bus. Can't wait to get my 6800. Notice that it's called the Geforce 6800, not Geforce FX 6800. There's not really a clear winner in this generation, but here's my take:

$200 9800pro beats 5900 or 6600GT
$300 6800 beats 9800xt
$400 6800GT beats X800 pro
$500 6800U keeps getting faster with each driver update, and is just as fast as the X800XT PE, may get better with next couple updates. Until then, flip a coin.

Thats exactly what I think.

Was it ever in doubt that ATI would beat Nvidia in HL2 performace? Did we need "proof." I thought this was a given.

RussianEmpire said:
my 6800 NU is as fast as x800 pro in the 3dmark
and in doom 3 it owns it completly :sniper: :x

Yeah, and the 5950 nearly has the same 3D Mark 03 score as the. :rolleyes: They are called synthetic benchmarks for a reason.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/graphics-cards-2004.html

You should only use a synthetic benchmark to compare your graphics cards to other ones like it to make sure system performance is up to par. Not to anticipate how it will performance with other/future games.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Yes my ignorance....yeah sorry, hate to say but I am seriously not happy what Nvidia did with the FX cards, and you know what, I have a right to say that, cause I own one.

Buy any card that is the cheapest and best? That theory is horrible, you probably have a mx440 by that statement.

Once again ignorance feast upon your post. I'm talking about categories. In the high-end category I'd say the 6800 GT is the best buy money-wise and power-wise. The medium cards would probably be 9600 XT og 9800 pro/xt. Don't know. I don't have any experience with those.

blahblahblah said:
Yeah, and the 5950 nearly has the same 3D Mark 03 score as the 9800 Pro. :rolleyes: They are called synthetic benchmarks for a reason.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/graphics-cards-2004.html

You should only use a synthetic benchmark to compare your graphics cards to other ones like it to make sure system performance is up to par. Not to anticipate how it will performance with other/future games.

Next time I should read my post before I hit submit. Anyways I quoted a corrected version. :angry:

Champ said:
Once again ignorance feast upon your post. I'm talking about categories. In the high-end category I'd say the 6800 GT is the best buy money-wise and power-wise. The medium cards would probably be 9600 XT og 9800 pro/xt. Don't know. I don't have any experience with those.

Oh yes, ignorance, you know, using big words doesn't make you look cool, actually pretty stupid. Sorry the X800 Pro Vivo is worth the high-end catergory. Cause you can make it an X800XT PE pretty easy, and overclock it furthur past what the bios are set at.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Oh yes, ignorance, you know, using big words doesn't make you look cool, actually pretty stupid. Sorry the X800 Pro Vivo is worth the high-end catergory. Cause you can make it an X800XT PE pretty easy, and overclock it furthur past what the bios are set at.

Does the X800 Pro Vivo have 12 pipelines? If it doesn't than no amount of overclocking is gonna make it a X800XT PE.

you can flash the bios with a gigabyte x800xt bios which opens the 4 pipelines making it 16, then you can clock like you would a normal card.
Its what i've done and works great

GPRT said:
you can flash the bios with a gigabyte x800xt bios which opens the 4 pipelines making it 16, then you can clock like you would a normal card.
Its what i've done and works great

I'm glad it worked for you, but I just can't risk flashing the bios on a 400+ dollar card.

DarkStar said:
Does the X800 Pro Vivo have 12 pipelines? If it doesn't than no amount of overclocking is gonna make it a X800XT PE.

It does but you can flash bios to 16 pipelines. And you'll get X800XT PE clock speed to, etc.

DiSTuRbEd said:

And you can o/c the 6800 GT to ultra speeds. I'm talking about stock speeds here sherlock. With the right equipment and knowledge most cards can be overclocked to match a higher ranking card in the same series. Not everyone wants to do that. Not everyone has the expertise to do so.
I'm not trying to be cool. I'm trying to shut you up. Take your fanboyism elsewhere. Results is what matters here not a freakin' name!

I reckon the x800xt is better than the ultra also. I remember reading that somewhere, can't remember where

Champ said:
And you can o/c the 6800 GT to ultra speeds. I'm talking about stock speeds here sherlock. With the right equipment and knowledge most cards can be overclocked to match a higher ranking card in the same series. Not everyone wants to do that. Not everyone has the expertise to do so.
I'm not trying to be cool. I'm trying to shut you up. Take your fanboyism elsewhere. Results is what matters here not a freakin' name!

You never said anything about stock speeds, sherlock. It doesn't take a genius to flash bios, especially when people type out what all you have to do. You can't shut me up, so quit trying. There is no fanboyism in me, I have 3 nvidias and 1 ati. I rather like the newer ati cards, so that makes me a fanboy? DAMN I'm sorry. Yeah results are in X800XT PE still beats 6800U. :rolleyes:

DiSTuRbEd said:
You never said anything about stock speeds, sherlock. It doesn't take a genius to flash bios, especially when people type out what all you have to do. You can't shut me up, so quit trying. There is no fanboyism in me, I have 3 nvidias and 1 ati. I rather like the newer ati cards, so that makes me a fanboy? DAMN I'm sorry. Yeah results are in X800XT PE still beats 6800U. :rolleyes:

No I did not, but stock speeds are kinda implied unless otherwise is stated. flashing your bios isn't THAT hard, neither is overclocking on your 6800 GT. But the point is that at stock speeds. The GT is the better of the two. And yes, the X800XT PE is better than the Ultra. So I have heard anyway. But there's an upcoming card called the 6800 Ultra Extreme. Don't know the details on that one, but I suppose they'll launch it to get rid of the XT PE.
No fanboyism in you? You're dismissing Nvidia because their older cards aren't on par with ATI's older ones. Nvidia has made a good comeback with their 6800 series. It's a fact. Their old ones couldn't stand up to the ATI equals, but these can. These can.

Champ said:
No fanboyism in you? You're dismissing Nvidia because their older cards aren't on par with ATI's older ones. Nvidia has made a good comeback with their 6800 series. It's a fact. Their old ones couldn't stand up to the ATI equals, but these can. These can.

Yeah, cause I was stating the fact that ATi vs Nvidia's older generation cards, ATi beat them in dx9 performance and whatnot. I like the 6800's and X800's. But I prefer the X800 more, not saying that the 6800 cards suck, cause they definantly don't.

Abom you're such a fanboi, moderators should remain "on the fence", i.e. the term "moderator" from "moderate".

Anyway, 6800U seems pointless to buy when you can get the same performance out of a 6800GT for the better part of a $100 cheaper.

mortiz said:
Abom you're such a fanboi, moderators should remain "on the fence", i.e. the term "moderator" from "moderate".

Anyway, 6800U seems pointless to buy when you can get the same performance out of a 6800GT for the better part of a $100 cheaper.
Contrary to popular belief, I'm allowed to have my own opinions on certain subjects.

Ender01 said:
For 200 dollars, ATI wins with the 9800pro
for 300 dollars, Nvidia wins with the 6800
for 400 dollars, Nvidia wins with the 6800GT (though the x800pro is barely behind)
for 500 dollars, ATI wins with the x800 XT PE (once it starts to sell at its MSRP)
This seems to be pretty accurate for me. I prefer the $200 spot myself, which is why I now own a 9800pro.

Those who enjoy looking at benchmarks of the X800XT PE vs the 6800 Ultra might be in for a shock when they perform a search on newegg.com.
You'll find that all X800XT PE and 6800 Ultra models are actually priced close to $600. And none of them are in stock right now.
Which is why I believe NVidia has a winner this generation with the 6800 GT.

And why would you think so?
The X800 PRO is faster than the GT in many D3D 8/9 benchmarks (e.g. Halo, UT2004, Far Cry, Tomb Rider, C&C:G...).
Also, since everybody is talking about overclocking, the X800 PRO can do 540/580 most of the times at stock cooling and I'm not talking about the VIVO model.

Gemini][ said:
The X800 PRO is faster than the GT in many D3D 8/9 benchmarks (e.g. Halo, UT2004, Far Cry, Tomb Rider, C&C:G...).
Also, since everybody is talking about overclocking, the X800 PRO can do 540/580 most of the times at stock cooling and I'm not talking about the VIVO model.

*SNEEZES VERY LOUDLY* Sorry, I'm alergic to bullshit. Ok newbie, what the f*ck you have no idea what you're talking about. The X800XT PE is 520/560, you think the pro can do 540/580. The 6800GT has 16 pipelines, the X800 pro has 12. The 6800GT has faster memory than the X800 pro, much faster. The 6800GT easily overclocks to 6800 Ultra speeds and beyond, is a one slot card and has the same power requirements. Nobody will agree with you, the 6800GT pwns the X800 pro, just liked I pwned you.

Gemini][ said:

See Champ, I am not ignorant like this guy! :E

bosox188, I see nVidia PRs got you by the balls.
Also, I see you cannot stand someone that thinks something different from your "theory" plus, it's evident you don't even know what you're talking about. Talk about fanboys and nVidiotism...geez!
The X800XT PE is 520/560, you think the pro can do 540/580
Tell that to the 5 out of 6 X800 PRO I've installed and o/c for my costumers.
The 6800GT has 16 pipelines, the X800 pro has 12.
Higher doesn't mean better and reviews/benchmarks already proved that.
Go ahead and check the graphs from this less biased site:
http://www.nordichardware.se/Recensioner/?page=1&skrivelse=223
The X800 PRO is faster than your beloved ULTRA in some tests.
The 6800GT has faster memory than the X800 pro, much faster.
Wrong. Guess what? Both use 2.0ns memories.
The 6800GT easily overclocks to 6800 Ultra speeds and beyond, is a one slot card and has the same power requirements.
Wrong once again. Not every GT o/c to Ultra speed, and about power requirements, the X800XT consumes way less than the Ultra. 63W vs. 72W.

So, who's the "pwned" now? ;(

Disturbed: I hope you were kidding.

bosox188 said:
*SNEEZES VERY LOUDLY* Sorry, I'm alergic to bullshit. Ok newbie, what the f*ck you have no idea what you're talking about. The X800XT PE is 520/560, you think the pro can do 540/580. The 6800GT has 16 pipelines, the X800 pro has 12. The 6800GT has faster memory than the X800 pro, much faster. The 6800GT easily overclocks to 6800 Ultra speeds and beyond, is a one slot card and has the same power requirements. Nobody will agree with you, the 6800GT pwns the X800 pro, just liked I pwned you.

Ummm...you forgot that little thing called the chip architecture. You can not compare two graphics cards that are made from different cores, much less different companies.

The only thing that matters is performance. The 6800 GT does not "pwn" the X800 Pro. Learn about the differences between graphics cards before you start "pwning" people.

PS - 540/580 isn't that absurd for a X800 Pro. I did a little bit of OC testing with my X800 Pro and I have hit 550/550 with no problem. I could push it harder, but I don't want to (I was only testing out its general OC ability, not its limits). One of these days I'm going to buy a VGA silencer and see how high it really goes.

[Edit]: Look! Benchies!
[Edit 2]: The X800 Pro is really overclockable. Look at all the results here.

Vivo's are just a flash away from X800XT's and speed is not an issue from the OCs I've seen.
Personally I pay more attention to architecture and performance in games than mhz speeds and pipelines.

the concil has spoken, no more debate is need, now go back to ur squalid lives and swoon over hl2

[QUOTE='Gemini]Go ahead and check the graphs from this less biased site:
http://www.nordichardware.se/Recensioner/?page=1&skrivelse=223
The X800 PRO is faster than your beloved ULTRA in some tests.
[/QUOTE]
The fact that you had to dig up a Scandinivian benchmark demonstrates the weakness of your argument.
A benchmark from HardOCP shows that the GT is just as fast as the Pro in Far Cry.
A benchmark from AnandTech shows that the GT is just as fast as the Pro in UT2004.

Those are DirectX games. Add the fact that the GT has superior OpenGL performance and I conclude that the 6800 GT wins.

Although I wouldn't use the word "pwned". :|

Gemini, I never said the Ultra was faster than the XT PE. The XT PE is faster. And I wasn't talking about 2.0n memory, I just meant that the X800 pro's memory is clocked at a slower speed. Now you're talking a lot about overclocking. If you factor in overclocking, then yes the X800 pro could OC better, although every case is different, it's not a sure thing that you'll OC to past XT PE speeds, but the GT isn't a sure thing you'll make Ultra speeds. If you count overclocking, then it depends on your cooling and stuff, and the X800 pro can be better. And I'm not an ATi or Nvidia fanboy. All I'm saying is that without overclocking or anything, the 6800GT is better. As long as you have a decent 300w psu or higher you're fine. K, I don't want to start and NV vs ATi war, cause to tell you the truth I don't care who makes the card, as long as it's good. Gemini, I never said the Ultra was faster than the XT PE. The XT PE is faster. And I wasn't talking about 2.0n memory, I just meant that the X800 pro's memory is clocked at a slower speed. Now you're talking a lot about overclocking. If you factor in overclocking, then yes the X800 pro could OC better, although every case is different, it's not a sure thing that you'll OC to past XT PE speeds, but the GT isn't a sure thing you'll make Ultra speeds. If you count overclocking, then it depends on your cooling and stuff, and the X800 pro can be better. And I'm not an ATi or Nvidia fanboy. All I'm saying is that without overclocking or anything, the 6800GT is better. As long as you have a decent 300w psu or higher you're fine. K, I don't want to start and NV vs ATi war, cause to tell you the truth I don't care who makes the card, as long as it's good. Agh, I made myself look like a newbie, and now I reread my post this morning and dunno what the heck I was thinking. Sorry. Got carried away especially with the pwning stuff. But never have I seen anything where the X800 pro beats the 6800GT in more than a couple tests. Mark that as a bad post for me. :eek:

Yep bosox. My conclusion is also that unmodded the GT is better than the x800 pro. The GT is also easier to overclock, while the X800 Pro is more difficult (flashing bios is creepy stuff imo. Will get you better results though)

Well I just spent 185$ on a Geforce 5900xt.

My first 2 video cards were ATI. Then i bought a Geforce 2 mmx440 or something cant even remember. I've hated ATI since. Sure they've come along way.

But I buy nvidia, because there cheaper, generally perform well, and most of all, because drivers are constanly updated.
My geforce 4 ti4200 still gets performace upgrades with the new drives.

Rock on Nvidia!

Champ, you would only flash the bios on the X800 pro to try to unlock 16 pipelines on the VIVO, you don't need that for overclocking. It IS a good overclocker though.

Back