PS3 In PAL territories DELAYED till March 2007!

Nabobalis

Tank
Reaction score
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]"06/09/2006 06:40
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Announces New March 2007 date for European Launch of PLAYSTATION 3

London, Wednesday 6 September 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that it would revise the launch date of its PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system in the PAL territories of Europe, Russia, Middle East, Africa and Australasia from 17th November 2006, as previously announced to March 2007.

Launch dates for Japan and North America will remain the same, which are November 11th and November 17th respectively.

[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]The revision of the launch date in the SCEE territories is caused by the delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group, thus affecting the timely procurement of key components to be utilised in PLAYSTATION 3.

The previously announced PLAYSTATION 3 shipment forecast of 6 million units globally within the fiscal year ending 2007 is not changed."

[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Con...mp;NewsAreaID=2

[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Edit: [/FONT]But far fewer machines will be available for the launch dates in Japan and the U.S. because of the production problem, Kutaragi said.

In the U.S., about 400,000 PlayStation 3 machines will be available when they go on sale Nov. 17. About 100,000 will be available on the Nov. 11 Japan launch date.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/06/business/AS_FIN_COM_Japan_Sony_PlayStation.php

/gives £279.99 to Microsoft in exchange for electronic goods

Well that would ultimately suck a lot for them. Bleh... probably be a year after release till I get one anywhos, but it doesn't affect me anyway.

Wow that's a disaster, here in Australia many places have been advertising the Novemeber launch for preorders.

They probably haven't done enough advertising for it to sell well enough aswell, when the PS2 was comeing out there were adds everywhere.

I guess they are relocating the european units to the US/Canada and Japan, nothing new, I think they did the same for PSP (later realizing it wasn't necessary). Anyway, it's ok Europe, you won't get first revision units that are prone to be defectives. We will be the guinea pigs...

WHAT ****ING BULLSHIT! I just read this on Voodoo Extreme. Half a ****ing year later GRRRR!!!!!!!!!! I pre ordered my PS3 the day they scheduled the release date. **** YOU SONY!

Haha. Sony are well and truly screwed now. The Wii will be the number one console this christmas :LOL:

Oh... my god. Sony cannot possibly f*ck up anymore than they already have (*doesn't touch wood*).

I'm not even interested in the PS3 and I still find this news painful... really sucks Ichi and others who ordered or were looking forward to it =/

Whoa... but 50,000 units GLOBAL on launch? That's slim.

Edit - Sorry, 500,000. Still seems a bit on the short side... doesn't it?

HAHAHAHAH

waiting.png

europelying.jpg

Meh, this sucks. Although two of the games I was looking forward to, Motorstorm and Warhawk, which were rumoured being delayed and not making it to the launch I lost interest somewhat so it doesn't really bother me too much. Still sucks though.

who cares there would not been enough for Europe anyway. Its great for nintendo and microsoft both getting a headstart.

Not only are the wii and 360 getting a head start, they will have some truly major kickin games in the coming months. Forza, Rainbow 6 vegas, GEARS OF WAR BABY!, and I'm sure some other obscure titles that I messed. Can't forget zelda on the wii as well as metroid and stuff. God it's good to be a gamer.

While you will probably get better, not-first-run, production units it still sucks for Europeans.

Interesting statistic: theres more gamers in all of Europe than in the US.

I wonder what extortionate prices they'll go for on ebay now they have this shortage. Was there this little 360s at lauch?

I checked and it looks like the Xbox 360 had 1.5 million sold worldwide up to Xmas 2005.

Sony has 2 million up to Xmas 2006.

Sony have more consoles than Microsoft did for their launch -- which included Europe -- but Sony are screwing Europe anyway! :hmph:

Sony has 2 million up to Xmas 2006.

Can I just ask where you got this 2 million figure? Is that the number expected to be produced in 2006? Or the projected number of sales?

I find it doubful that that many will be sold in 2006, without the european market, considering that 900,000 xbox 360's were sold in the US, and a further 100,000 in japan in 2005 from launch -> christmas.

Obviously the PS3 should do better in Japan because of the huge fanbase there, as opposed to the relatively little interest in the 360, but still, due to all the negative publicity of the PS3 and the high price, I think that 2 million units sold would be a bit optimistic. Plus we still need to see if they can even make that many with all the blue diode supply problems.

Not that I'm saying I won't buy one. Hell maybe I'll even import from the US if possible, if the games are worth it. With the exchange rates these days its practially a steal, that and more or less any new (HD ready) PAL TV should be able to support NTSC natively.

If Microsoft played their cards right, they could go back to their tactic of releasing Halo 3 at the same time as the PS3 launch, only for Europe.

Can I just ask where you got this 2 million figure? Is that the number expected to be produced in 2006? Or the projected number of sales?

I find it doubful that that many will be sold in 2006, without the european market, considering that 900,000 xbox 360's were sold in the US, and a further 100,000 in japan in 2005 from launch -> christmas.

Obviously the PS3 should do better in Japan because of the huge fanbase there, as opposed to the relatively little interest in the 360, but still, due to all the negative publicity of the PS3 and the high price, I think that 2 million units sold would be a bit optimistic. Plus we still need to see if they can even make that many with all the blue diode supply problems.

Not that I'm saying I won't buy one. Hell maybe I'll even import from the US if possible, if the games are worth it. With the exchange rates these days its practially a steal, that and more or less any new (HD ready) PAL TV should be able to support NTSC natively.

it was 4 million worldwide by the end of 2006

the 2 million figure is the adjusted number ..2 million worldwide by the end of the year

at release they'll have

gameindustry.biz said:
According to Kutaragi’s statement, only 400,000 consoles will be available at day one in the US, with around 100,000 units for the Japanese launch.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19507

Good.

PS3 is gonna have to be really good if they wanna have a chance of competing with Wii and Xbox 360 after this delay.

Sony is taking a big chance with the PS3. Super high price, super high priced games (rumoured) and delayed until march 2007.
They'll miss all the xmas sales they had in EU and AUS. And tbh, there isn't very many games i'm personally excited about.
Between the Wii and the 360 there are quite a few games i want, great games like, smash bros, zelda, gears of war, dead rising, saints row, metroid, mario and i'm getting xbox live soon.

Seriously... has Sony been taken over by some sort of retard? They can't seem to do anything right.

Oh WOW!!! We get to pay an extra $200 AND we get to wait another 6 months for our PS3's.....we are sooooooo lucky!!! Go Sony!!! :thumbs:

/sarcasm

N.B. I actually don't plan on getting a PS3 so this is great news for me as an Xbox360 owner.

This isn't the first time a company has not done a simultaneous global launch ... actually I think the 360 was the first to attempt, and look how well that worked. There has always been a time gap between release of Playstation consoles in different regions, and this seems to be a relatively short one if memory serves. This way there should be enough for all regions, not to mention PAL territories get a more polished console.

I think it's stupid to buy consoles on launch anyway, so this wouldn't affect me even if I did live in Europe. What's the point of shelling out the highest possible price the console will ever cost at a time when it's bound to have bugs and not as many games?

What's the point of shelling out the highest possible price the console will ever cost at a time when it's bound to have bugs and not as many games?

Rushing home with your brand new toy, ripping open the box and plugging the bad boy in :)

Sure, you can wait a year, buy it for cheaper when a few more games are out. I'll take the first option every time.

Wait! Wait! Calm down Brits. Isn't the PS3 supposed to be region free? I mean can't you play Japanese games, North American games, and European games on any PS3? Even the PS3's from Japan? If so, why create a PAL version of the PS3 when it can play all games? Unless I'm mistaken.

EDIT: Oops. my bad. PAL is a different electrical standard than North American standards. Adapter???

Rushing home with your brand new toy, ripping open the box and plugging the bad boy in :)

Sure, you can wait a year, buy it for cheaper when a few more games are out. I'll take the first option every time.
Plus, if you buy it a year later you miss out on the excitement of the launch games. Everyone will have played them and sold them off by the time you get around to buying the console. This is especially true of online games as well. There are always exceptions (BF2, HL2, Halo 2, Starcraft, etc), but as a general rule, online games of any decent quality stop being played regularly about 2-3 months after release.

Seriously... has Sony been taken over by some sort of retard? They can't seem to do anything right.

I heard from reliable sources that Brian Peppers took over as acting director in the development of the PS3.

If they really are region free then a simple adapter will do the trick. Having imported consoles for years i've plenty of these laying around - they're cheap as chips - it's the import tax that's a bugger.

If they really are region free then a simple adapter will do the trick. Having imported consoles for years i've plenty of these laying around - they're cheap as chips - it's the import tax that's a bugger.

Wait. PAL is for Analog only. What if your TV has HDMI, a digital connection? Can't you bypass the analog and go straight to digital with that? I don't know, it's worth some research..anyway an adapter will do the trick.

Back