PSP Graphics

nick_t

Reaction score
Does anyone possibly have links to screenshots of Playstation Portable (PSP) games? I want to see how good the graphics are on that little thing. I have searched a lot and can't find anything descent so any help is appreciated. :thumbs:

Thanks! That was very helpful. I think the PSP will own the handheld /portable gaming market.

Yeah the PSP is looking very sharp, but ive bought other hand helds and they usually dont keep my attention for very long. And i love mario but the PSP is looking better than the Nintendo DS....tough choice.

The PSP rocks, I love it tbh. Its the sex :D Hopfully the games will back it up. Its pritty much the first time I have gone sony over xbox and nintendo :O

I don't care how good the graphics are, 90 minute battery life is intolerable, not to mention it shooting out the PSP disks in the middle of playing.

Plus DS is backwards compatible with the GBA and theres an add on that alows you to download movies and music similar to the PSP. And it and the little addon thingy (Which is 25$) is still cheaper than the PSP by $10.

90 minute battery life is intolerable
Thats only when you watch movies on it. Games get 3 - 6 hours.
not to mention it shooting out the PSP disks in the middle of playing
Only if your clumsy enough to hit the eject button while playing. :rolling:
Plus DS is backwards compatible with the GBA and theres an add on that alows you to download movies and music similar to the PSP.
Woohoo! I get to watch movies on it's super tinny screen.
*cheers*

WhiteZero said:
Thats only when you watch movies on it. Games get 3 - 6 hours.
Ridge Racer is a game, and it only lasted 90 mintues
WhiteZero said:
Only if your clumsy enough to hit the eject button while playing. :rolling:
does the eject button just shoot out games? wouldn't that be a tad dangerous for the disk
WhiteZero said:
Woohoo! I get to watch movies on it's super tinny screen.
*cheers*
The PSP's screen is the same size

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:
I don't care how good the graphics are, 90 minute battery life is intolerable, not to mention it shooting out the PSP disks in the middle of playing.

Plus DS is backwards compatible with the GBA and theres an add on that alows you to download movies and music similar to the PSP. And it and the little addon thingy (Which is 25$) is still cheaper than the PSP by $10.

I'd still rather buy the PSP.

90 minutes battery life is okay, and you can buy battery packs for it so it's okay. The games look good, it doesn't have a gimmicky 2nd screen and the music and movies stuff is all built in and official. The games look a lot better, and there's a greater library of licenses to come.

that was played on the initial charge from the sony factory.
when re-charged it played for 3hrs and 30 minutes.

is it really? i could of sworn the PSP had a bigger screen.

anyways i like my DS, but i cant wait for my PSP.

the only reason why i got the DS is because i sold my GBA sp and 3 games on ebay for $140.

SAME GAME :

DS http://www.gamespot.com/ds/driving/ridgeracerds/screens.html?page=19

PSP http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/ridgeracer/screens.html?page=10
HUGE DIFFERENCE

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:

Wrong. You can play RR for about around 3-6 hours like WhiteZero said.

bizzy420 said:
that was played on the initial charge from the sony factory.
when re-charged it played for 3hrs and 30 minutes.

is it really? i could of sworn the PSP had a bigger screen.

anyways i like my DS, but i cant wait for my PSP.

the only reason why i got the DS is because i sold my GBA sp and 3 games on ebay for $140.

SAME GAME :

DS http://www.gamespot.com/ds/driving/ridgeracerds/screens.html?page=19

PSP http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/ridgeracer/screens.html?page=10
HUGE DIFFERENCE
Whoa. Well, I guess I'll be getting the PSP. Sorry, Nintendo.
;(

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:

Oh, really? I didn't know.

ME0000523891_2.jpg

DS Display: 3" TFT LCD
PSP Display: 4.3" 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD

DS Resolution: 256 x 192
PSP Resolution: 480x272
----
GameSpot said:
Ridge Racers seems to last somewhere between 90 minutes and three hours.
Ridge Racers is a pretty gfx intensive game for a handheld, of course it's going to need the hardware to work harder, thusly using more battery.
----
does the eject button just shoot out games? wouldn't that be a tad dangerous for the disk
No, it pops it out a little bit so you can grab it. It will never "shoot" out.
-----

Heres a nifty hardware comparison for you guys:
http://hardware.gamespot.com/CompareItems-4-4-C-11722-11721
Hardware wise, the PSP is far superior.

Also, as Nintendo said, the DS isnt really their next-gen handheld.

The machine itslef looks nice, but there still isn't one game announched for the PSP that interests me (i'm sure a few will come out eventually)

Warbie said:
The machine itslef looks nice, but there still isn't one game announched for the PSP that interests me (i'm sure a few will come out eventually)
Yeah i feel the same way. Mario 64 DS is looking mighty sweet though..

prediction in thid thread:
someone will post
"PSP sucks cuz is a console,PC owns all,PC roxxors all" and a lot of crap like that
now on topic:

the PSP looks very good considering that is a portatile

I will thought that maybe will look like the PS1 but looks better

yea i got mario ds. i never played it on the 64 before. the controls can really get frustrating. besides mario, no other DS games really interest me.

im hoping that the PSP will have games like socom online or madden.

Normally I don't judge something based on looks alone, as per my XBOX. I mean, seriously, who wants that think lying around?

But holy hell. Guys, for a second, just look at the PSP. It just looks incredible, like out of the future where they know exactly what every human being loves.
And this is coming from a Sony hate. I hate the Playstation (1 and 2) with a vengeance. I, however, cannot stop looking at the PSP.

My brother bought a DS - I love Nintendo - but......I just don't get it? What's the appeal of touching a screen? It's a gimmick. Wow, you can sort of control the wheel of a car and pretend like you're really driving. Uhhh......so what? I've been immersed in video games enough in the past to forget completely about how I was controlling the game. The only thing I like about the DS is the WiFi and the PictoChat, but I think the PSP also has WiFi?

I can't wait for it to hit the North American market so I can sreiously look into it and consider making a purchase. I hate spending money (on myself), though. ;(

gfx arent everything but it helps. if im playing the exact same game, might as well play it with better gfx.

If the DS had an analog stick id buy it just for mario.

And can the PSP wirelessly connect with other PSP's within 100ft like the DS?

It looks like the PSP is getting plenty of 'ps2 type' titles - rather than titles suited to handheld gaming.

Who wants to play MGS or Final Fantasy on the move, or on a tiny screen? These type of games aren't suited to a handheld console.

The real test will be whether the system ends up with simple, disposable, and fun games (the kind of which Nintendo are the master of) rather than 'ps2' games (which would be better played on a ps2)

Warbie said:
It looks like the PSP is getting plenty of 'ps2 type' titles - rather than titles suited to handheld gaming.

Who wants to play MGS or Final Fantasy on the move, or on a tiny screen? These type of games aren't suited to a handheld console.

The real test will be whether the system ends up with simple, disposable, and fun games (the kind of which Nintendo are the master of) rather than 'ps2' games (which would be better played on a ps2)

Metal Gear Acid is not an action/adventure game. It's a turn-based strategy, who's mechanics actually work amazingly for a portable (considering that the best turn-based startegy games can be still found on the GBA).

Next, the psp actually has some great games coming for it - the DS has had basically some mediocre releases TBH,the whole "touchscreen" thing is Bull, not really innovative IMO.

Really, just because you are lazy to press cancel and go to the menu or do whatever nintendo wanted the second screen or see a map or as such - I really don't see the purpose of the dual screen either.

DS releases have been thus far been pretty boring - I mean that Feel the magic, mario DS (a remake, so not intrested), and everything else = yawn.

DS is getting all remakes, while psp is getting original stuff + remakes. It's no wonder why developers are intrested in the better thing.

I know about Metal Gear Acid - it's one of the few PSP titles i'm looking forward too (have always been a fan of card based battle systems)

All the other titles i've seen that look promising would be far more suited to a home console system.

As for the DS extra features - it's still far too early to tell how well they'll be implemented. Yoshis touch and go looks amazing - and just wouldn't be possible without a stylus. The same for the new Wario Ware games. Let's not base judgement on a few early titles.

Personally I think the DS is great - and will have some truly innovative and unique games. The PSP looks like a portable PS2 (which doesn't really excite me)

Wireless Advance Wars :) or Zelda 4-swords - yes pls :)

Warbie said:

imo nintendo games are made by kids for kids. their general market audience is ages from 7 - 13. this is 2005, i dont want the simple disposable games from yesteryear. 2d , or metalic sounds, I want graphics, power , and fun games.

wbcninjaofmist said:
imo nintendo games are made by kids for kids. their general market audience is ages from 7 - 13. this is 2005, i dont want the simple disposable games from yesteryear. 2d , or metalic sounds, I want graphics, power , and fun games.

That's just rubbish :p

(7-13, give me a break :/ You probably think GTA is a 'mature' game.)

It doesn't sound like you want a handheld at all. If you want power and gfx stick to pcs. As for fun - that's usually found in the simple and disposable multiplayer games i'm talking about - Street Fighter, Bomberman, Mario Kart. Proven games that are excellent on a handheld.

wbcninjaofmist said:
I didnt hav played too much nintendo games but I know that not all the nintendo games are like that

in the nintendo 64 there was games like goldeneye64 and perfect dark that where mature FPS

and in gamecube are games like perfect dark and rezident evil 0 that are more mature

well I dont know too much nintendo games

but still the name Nintendo is a big name in the videogames

I hate sony, and I have a feeling something really bad is going to happen to them.
That makes me happy.

Graphics are never everything.
Starcraft. One of the greatest RTS's even today. Still loves on with one powering community. 6 Months ago it has enough people at times to rival the amount of people on counter-strike easily. meaning 100 - 200 thousand people. It was made in 1998. It has......insanley bad graphics. Sure today it usually dosn't get past 50 thousand people, and it averages 20 thousand. Starcraft is a hugex2 game in Korea. I mean, huge! Guy makes $100,000 off of sponsers alone.

Starcraft has bad graphics. It is insanley fun. It in all technical terms, no RTS to date has yet to match it's balance. 3 Races, totally diffrent in every possible way yet nearly 100% balance if there is such a thing. How each races mechanics work is totally diffrent. It has an editor, with such poor programing mappers are always finding backroutes to do things thus keeping a strong mapping community.

Starcraft still lives. I must say, alot of starcraft fans want it on the DS. Sc + Touch Screen = Great handheld game.

Starcraft is not 3D. It is 2D with awfull graphics. It is still known as one of the best games in history. I have played it for over 5 years now. I still play it every now and then(Though Cs:S\HL2DM\HL2 has captured me).

Starcraft is a game played by young people to adults to older adults. I would love to see it on the DS.

The DS is not next generation. It is not he most powerfull thing on the planet. What is it? It is a piece of technology with features that can be easily taken advantage off for the better. It is a piece of technology that knows what it is doing.

BTW: Sony is trying to take over the world. Cameras, TV's, Handhelds, Consoles. Soon they will try and rival windows with there own OS.
Can't you see what it is going! Next they will supply our military with guns!

wbcninjaofmist said:
This guy is the reason the DS will fail. He is a perfect example of a man so corrupted by Sony's propaganda that he will swallow everything he hears about Nintendo being "only for kids". Nay, he is the reason Nintendo itself is faltering right now.

Mature doesn't mean sex or violence. Zelda is far, far more mature than GTA any day.

Narcolepsy said:
This guy is the reason the DS will fail. He is a perfect example of a man so corrupted by Sony's propaganda that he will swallow everything he hears about Nintendo being "only for kids".
Sony puts out propaganda that Ninteno is for Kids?
Comming up with conspiracy theories now, are we? People forum their own opintions about Nintendo.

WhiteZero said:
Sony puts out propaganda that Ninteno is for Kids?
Comming up with conspiracy theories now, are we? People forum their own opintions about Nintendo.

No - it's adolescents that often suggest Nintendo are for kids. They also think games like GTA and Max Payne are 'grown up'

The irony :)

Yeah, just because games don't have an M rating dosent mean their only for kids.
Mario 64 and Super Smash Bros are 10x more fun than GTA.

However, you can't deny that Nintendo is pretty child friendly.

SearanoX said:
That can go one of two ways - it means in theory, Nintendo have a larger market size because they appeal to more people, rather than a particular demographic. On the other hand, of course, they end up having younger people as their more loyal customers simply because most people out there think "everyone" means "family-friendly." Of course, if you don't play a game simply because it doesn't have sex, "realistic" violence, or swearing (or any combination of those), then you're a closed-minded idiot.

Agreed. :thumbs:
BTW: Resident Evil 4 will be awesome (GameCube). :cheers:

RE4 is on the PS2 aswell, but will certainly have to be dumbed down in terms of gfx and effects. I think it's coming out in the Xbox too, eventually.

It's certainly one of my most wanted games :) (and will pick it up on the GC - which it was designed to be played on)

RE4 for the GC is comming out Q1 of 2005... it's comming out for the PS2 in Q4. lol

nintendo fails again, good job, nintendo, guess sony really does have the upperhand these days

Back