Quake 4 is the big thing secret in this months PC Gamer

Lobster

The Freeman
Reaction score
Quake 4 hmm.. i remember there was some leaked source material screenshots of models and stuff a while back, that shot on the front cover looks really flat by comparison, 10 page preview though, time will tell :D

ASSSSSSSSSSSSSS

What's so earth shattering about Quake 4? Plus it's Raven they've never made an "omfg" game in their business life. It's just been a ho-hum affair in recent years with Jedi Knight sequel pap, Elite force lol god Janeway is hot, and lets shoot limbs off peopel in SOF2. I definitely won't get excited about their future work.

Mr-Fusion said:
ASSSSSSSSSSSSSS

What's so earth shattering about Quake 4? Plus it's Raven they've never made an "omfg" game in their business life. It's just been a ho-hum affair in recent years with Jedi Knight sequel pap, Elite force lol god Janeway is hot, and lets shoot limbs off peopel in SOF2. I definitely won't get excited about their future work.

are u calling me asssssssssssssss?

I am just the messenger here and I posted it just so the whole "whats the big thing in pcgamer??" wont happen anymore. Now if your saying assssssssssssss to Quake 4 then I could not agree with you more. I never liked any of the quakes, a big joke.

maximus0402 said:
are u calling me asssssssssssssss?
No, it was just a general scream of frustration at the whole sitaution. It was not directed at you.

I've never played Q1 or Q2, but I have played a little of Q3, and I really didn't like it very much at all.

Also played D3 MP, and it's very much like Q3 and is also not that good IMO.

i think it'll be interesting to see how they'be used the doom3 engine

but i wouldn't call it "senses shattering" like PCgamer calls it

that's just rabid sensationlism to sell copies anyways

wow....yet another shitty death metal influenced space dungeon FPS from Id...

I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself....

shaggy2039 said:
wow....yet another shitty death metal influenced space dungeon FPS from Id...

I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself....

i concur ... ****in gay

1. Quake 4 isn't from id.

2. I bet it is senses-shattering to Quake fans.

quake 4 IS sense-shattering

this confirms the november hl2 release date

I guess that ID didnt have the man power to create Q4 the same time as D3 so they sold the license to some one else as they knew D3 was gonner be a flop and they needed another money grabing scheme by getting Q4 out fast as well. Using old names but making crap games just to make money.

That aside. Look at the bottom, it has a Rome:total war review now thats somin to get excited about.

Thank you for posting this, I've been longing to hear something about Quake 4.
Quake 4 will be better than Doom III.

how many imp-equivalents will i need to kill now?

ViolenceJack said:
I guess that ID didnt have the man power to create Q4 the same time as D3 so they sold the license to some one else as they knew D3 was gonner be a flop and they needed another money grabing scheme by getting Q4 out fast as well. Using old names but making crap games just to make money.

This post is so flawed I don't know where to start. Doom 3 was not a flop. The only people who consider it a flop are, funnily enough, HL2 fans. Doom 3 had absolutely brilliant reviews for the most part (almost no one gave it less than 9/10) and it sold as well, if not better than projected.

id gave Raven the liscence to make the game because they are currently working on something very big that we know nothing about. They are a small studio so obviously didn't have the man power to take on two massive projects at once. Raven have made some killer games in the past and I'm sure Quake 4 will be no exception.

As for;
Using old names but making crap games just to make money.
Erm, ever heard of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Counter Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half Life:Source or TFC:Source? How about HL2? There's no shame in making sequels to great games, especially immensely popular ones like Quake.

But, hell, what sort of a reaction should I honestly have expect from HL2 fans? Seems 90% of you can't accept the fact that there are other great games besides Half Life and it's mods.

Is Quake 4 using the Doom 3 engine? I hope so. I really loved how Doom 3 looked.

Quake 4 uses a completely new engine.

Glad the earth shattering news was not sims2.

ViolenceJack said:

No - the reason id aren't making it is because John Carmack and Todd Hollenshed (sp?) said that their next project was not going to be a sequel to an existing game franchise eg Wolfenstein, Quake...but was going to be something new.

Thats why they outsourced it to and external developer. They weren't about to let the franchise die in the ass but they didn't have the time / enthusiasm to do it themselves.

Quake 4 Woot Woot Omg Woot! Cant Wait!

Actually I believe they are focussing Quake 4 on single player, carrying on from the Quake 2 'story'.

Raven is a VERY solid developer. Quake IV is gonna rock.

iamaelephant said:
Actually I believe they are focussing Quake 4 on single player, carrying on from the Quake 2 'story'.
That's the idea. So in other words, the Stroggs are back.
And before people start bitching about Raven working on Quake IV, id software is keeping a watchful eye on Quake 4.
They wouldn't let their baby get ****ed.

Tredoslop said:
That's the idea. So in other words, the Stroggs are back.
And before people start bitching about Raven working on Quake IV, id software is keeping a watchful eye on Quake 4.
They wouldn't let their baby get ****ed.

I actually trust Raven to make a fun game more than I do ID. Carmack and his team are good at tech, that's about it.

Mr-Fusion said:
AKA the Doom 3 engine.

Nope not the Doom 3 engine. I remember reading somewhere that they are completely different engines.

DrEvil said:
Nope not the Doom 3 engine. I remember reading somewhere that they are completely different engines.
Ok. Well when you officially find out it's the Doom 3 engine you'll say to yourself "Well i guess Mr Fusion was right..it is the Doom 3 engine...boy did i look like an idiot!! I'm going to OD on these painkillers now!"

Mr-Fusion said:
Ok. Well when you officially find out it's the Doom 3 engine you'll say to yourself "Well i guess Mr Fusion was right..it is the Doom 3 engine...boy did i look like an idiot!! I'm going to OD on these painkillers now!"

Hahahahahaha.....lol.

I do believe it is on the doom3 engine... i dunno where you get your sources

another example is the Doom3 GUI editor that says quake4 at the top cuz its the same one Raven uses for Quake IV... in the doom3 engine

doom3 engine is used on quake 4... doom3, quake4... doom3.......... david hasseholf... etc

Mr-Fusion said:

One word: YOINK!

I actually liked Quake 1 better than Quake 2 or 3. Quake 2 felt like a Doom clone and Quake 3 was just a competition for Epic's Unreal Tournament.

It's too bad Quake 4 is going after the ideas of the second game instead of the first.

Ah well, at least I can write up my idea for a game involving Cthulu (and I know I misspelled that...)

Anybody who hasn't played Quake and Quake 2 needs to keep their mouth shut about Quake 4.

Quake 4 better rock.

Out of all the Quakes, I enjoyed Q2 the most. There actually a point to that one rather then Electrocuting yourself underwater....
I never really liked Quake 1 as you may tell.

Raven software as always made fairly good games from IDs tech (Heretic, Hexen etc) so Im sure they will present a fairly good Q4!

Mr-Fusion said:

:LOL: LoL :LOL:

man i love quake just as much as hl2.

just because i dislike doom3 doesn't mean i hate all games other than hl2....

go quake!

QUAD DAMAGE >|

FISKER_Q said:
don't discuss with iamanelephant, just ignore him, hopefully he will go away.

What the hell? I'm trying to make a valid point, I don't make posts for the sole purpose of flaming. Seems that alot of people lately have been flaming me for having a differing opinion. Ya know what? At least I try to add to every thread I post in.

From now on, if any of you fruitcakes has a problem with me, PM either a moderator or myself. Or, you can just leather up and ignore it, instead of spamming threads with crap like that. You've been reported FISKER_Q.

FISKER_Q said:
don't discuss with iamanelephant, just ignore him, hopefully he will go away.

FISKER_Q, that added nothing to this discussion.
I have found myself often at odds with iamaelephant, but I would never say "hopefully he will go away".

“I may disagree with what you say sir, but will defend to the death your right to say it.” -Voltaire

(That was in my sig when I first came to these forums, seems I need to bring it back)

^^look an edumacated man.

/me runs away and burns some books

;)

[Edit]: It will be interesting to see how Raven will modify the gameplay/story of Quake 2. Doom 3 and HL2 (will) have changed the way modern fps are created and played. It should be interesting if they can pull it off while keeping the spirit of Quake 2.

[Edit 2]: I was curious and looked up Consiglieri in the dictionary. Pretty tongue in cheek.

Quake 1 was my first FPS..I loved it! Then Quake 2...omg fap.fap.fap. Quake 3...seemed like UT to me..but I found it a little more fun, IMO. Quake 4...I have HIGH hopes about this game. And I hope it doesn't disappoint me as Doom3 did. (And no, I don't hate doom3 because I'm an HL2 fan...
I love the scare factor in it..although its just one of those *OMFG WHERE DID YOU COME FROM* scares. Gets old really fast...If it had a scare like F.E.A.R is going to (Omfg...why is that little girl following me around..and killing my friends?!?!*

Doom 3 didn't have that unique of a plot IMO as well. Hell overflows and kills people...go plot! And I just hated how the game played....you can only hold the flashlight with one hand?! I mean..at least strap it to your gun you idiot! --;

back on discussion, Quake 4 is promising in my mind...although I havn't read a single bit about it, and that PC Gamer ss is the first Quake 4 pic i've seen. I'm glad they continued on Quake 2's story, because it was decent. Crashlanding on an alien planet, fighting your way to your freinds/suvival. Just fun! I gotta replay Q2...been along while \=

Quake 1 was also my first FPS actually though I played D2 and Wolvfenstein 3D before. It was scary like hell, playing with the headphones. Quake II was also quite a fun, a bit more techno like. But I preferred more the gloomy halls of Q1. That Uuuuuugh! from the zombies always made me nervous. Anyone knows how to run Quake 1 on WinXP? I was trying this since the beginning but I never succeeded.

Quake IV looks quite promising since we know so little about it. And Raven can make quite good games, not exceptional but good enough.

Back