Question about de_aztec...

J

jinoman

When playing de_aztec in CS Source, I notice that the water on the river is white. Is that what the color is suppose to be or is it some sort of bug that I can fix? The reason I ask is because the water in de_aztec in the trailers appear to be transparant but when I play it appears white so I assume it might be something with my video card.. I don't know. My card is a geforce 4 mx4000

It is probably the graphics card, DirectX 7. DX7 water is crap, I'm using GeForce 2 right now and it is shit in Aztec.

It's not something wrong with your card, but the water won't be white anymore if you get a new card. I had a GF4 when I first started playing the HL2 series. Basically, your card can only draw in DirectX 7 mode, whereas the newer cards can utilize DirectX 9.0c. Doesn't matter what version you have installed, it's a matter of what the hardware can do. It's the same reason that when you're far away from models (weapons on the ground, sandbags, etc), they disappear.

If I may make a suggestion, a 6600GT is like, $60 now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143084

Very good card, I have one myself (made by EVGA, but BFG is a good company). It can handle Source games very well for its price, and everything will look much better.

Or if you like ATI radeon cards, go for a X800XT. They're about $100 now. Its a very good card for the price.

A note: Actually GF4 cards support DX8 in hardware too (not only DX7)

I want to be able to run DirectX 8 on Half-life 2 and CS Source because from what I know, my GeForce4 mx4000 natively supports it. But I look on the option menu of HL2 and CS:S and it shows that it's running DirectX 7. Anyone know how I can activate DirectX 8 with my card? Heero help me out...

Sorry, no way, it's the game's engine that chooses which DX interface to use, which is coded during the game development, of corse, this applies only if everything is OK with your DX. Do you tried reinstalling it?

There's a console command which switches dx interfaces.

Now if only I could only remember it.

Really? I thought the game automatically chooses the highest DX version supported by the current hardware, but then, why it is not activated DX8 by default for jinoman's GPU. I think there's a problem with his DX or video driver

Back