Question about HDR?

Shadermark 2.1 has HDR and HDR based shadows on my 6800GT. Those options weren't available to me until I upgraded my card.

Exactly, it is now possible to use IBL and HDR in conjunction in real-time on today's newest graphics cards.

The movie was created by Paul Devebec, he has two, one called Fiat Lux, the other called RNL. The picture I posted was my attempt to recreate the RNL movie.

There's a realtime demo for that from ATI (was meant for Radeon 9700 promotion) on their site. Looks nice, but not as good as RTHDRIBL

In other news, back on topic, no, hl2 does nto currently have HDR enabled, its one of those things that valve should release as an update to keep the game fresh in the future. Basically it requires a lot of art reworking to get it in the game (not the engine) of hl2.

In the source video it doesnt say HDRI, it says High Dynamic Range RENDERING. Is There a Difference?

MaDMaXX said:
In other news, back on topic, no, hl2 does nto currently have HDR enabled, its one of those things that valve should release as an update to keep the game fresh in the future. Basically it requires a lot of art reworking to get it in the game (not the engine) of hl2.

No it doesn't, it uses pixelshaders for the visible effects, no artwork. It's an engine thing.

PvtRyan, trust me, this came from the horses mouth.

If you allow me to say it, I've seen all the hl2 screenshots/movies and I didn't see any kind of HDR other than Source_HDR02 Bink. You can download it here: http://www.hl2.eclub.lv/files.htm

Like the sun and light from the ceiling holes in CS:Source, I think all of these Sun effects in HL2 screenshots are just bloom effects, nothing to do with HDR. The Source_HDR Bink demoed FAR superior lighting effects, so... was that Bink done just for show Source engine capabilities?

yes it was, like i said, hl2 doesn't currently have HDR included

mirageacg said:
Guys, guys, it is called HDRI, that is the full name, and it stands for High Dynamic Range Imaging. Which is a process used to simulate real-world lighting scenarios by circumventing the 256 bit color limitations of computer images by allowing for brightness/luminance values many thousands times greater then 256.

Actually that looks more like a Lens Flare then HDR, for HDR would cause the "whiteness" to overlap onto the building, causing a silhouette effect.

EDIT: CRAP, my bad, I apologize for the double post. :O

HDRR is a bit different than hdri...heh...

What do you think between these two shots?
New
Old
Granted they are different scenes.

1st one has HDR, no?
It's hard to see the corners close to the wall because of the bright sky correct? ;)

killahsin-[CE] said:
HDRR is a bit different than hdri...heh...

Umm, HDRR is not a real term (it was coined by nVidia) it is called HDRI (HDR is actually an incorrect term/slang).

Yes HDR will be in HL2. Just that you seldom see it in the screenshots.

Its like those shiny floors you see in CS:S.

I think that's specularity, crownest. HDR can help that look more realistic, but specularity can be done without it.

Another thing I hear HDR is good for is reducing texture banding and muddiness (that's from Atomic Computing, IIRC)

PvtRyan: No artwork? Um... I don't think so... they'd have to have pretty special shaders to create things like posters, graffiti and T-Shirts with "Black Mesa" written on them...

Back