Question

The Mullinator said:
Fluid dynamics won't be seen in any games for probably at the absolute least, 5 years from now. The amount of CPU power required is enormous and with current CPU's (even non commercial ones) there simply isn't enough capacity to handle even all the calculations involved for a realistic dynamic fluid system for just a simple barrel of water.

Ahh, well that's where the art of trickery comes in! Just look at HL2 and D3 etc. The amount of CPU power required to calculate realtime lighting is enormous. I believe it takes years just to render a pixar film! CPUs aren't powerful enough to fully render 3D scenes in realtime, nor to correctly run physics simulations. But we have both of these.

I'm not saying that fluid dynamics are definitely do-able. I don't really know enough about it. But I do know that most of the fancy stuff we have already could be considered "impossible" too. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see fairly convincing fluid simulations over the next few years.

:)

It's really only a matter of how well you want to simulate the water. We actually have simulated fluid dynamics right now, it's just a crappy moving "skin" thing, and then a physics volume under it with a different color. Of course it can't do important things water can, like flowing or splashing. But then again, it's a simulation.

I do expect and hope that it will dramatically improve though.

The Mullinator said:
/me tries to rescue the thread before it gets worse.

Fluid dynamics won't be seen in any games for probably at the absolute least, 5 years from now. The amount of CPU power required is enormous and with current CPU's (even non commercial ones) there simply isn't enough capacity to handle even all the calculations involved for a realistic dynamic fluid system for just a simple barrel of water.

EDIT: AHHH whats happened to the /me command?!?!?!

I doubt it'll be ... 5 years... That may be before we see it IN A GAME.

Besides, when the Magnetic processors come (7-10 years), you'll be walking around in, literally, and alternate reality.

MrD said:
I believe it takes years just to render a pixar film!
For Pixar's first Disney movies, it took approximately 4 days straight to render a movie from start to finish. For the movie Finding Nemo, Pixar Studios fully upgraded their equipment to be one of the most powerful powerhouses in digital rendering. Having created their own rendering program (Renderman), they found countless ways to improve both production time and final product. To render Finding Nemo, they combined the power of all of their computers to render the entire movie, from start to finish, in just under three hours. Keep in mind that a movie from Pixar uses billions of polygons on screen, all in fluid (!) motion. The simplest frame was produced in less than a second, while the most complex frame from the movie took about 7 minutes to render.

- OneMrBean

I don't know if i should of started a new thread about a new topic i want to discuss but i want to talk about bullet effects..., I don't know about you but ive played games that had shitty bullet effects. like battlefield 1942, it looks like you are shooting a BB gun on that game, you shoot a wooden wall and it bounces off and you see a little spark, same when you shoot the dirt, its ridiculous. Ive shot guns in Real life and i know how it should look like when a bullet of a releative caliber hits water or wood or dirt. The new counterstrike video for HL2 for bullets hitting the water was dead on for realism i think. but what about concrete, dirt,walls and etc? and debris flying up as you hit these objects, ive seen games where you shoot the dirt and no debris flys up, in Real life you shoot the dirt you see dirt and a little grass fly up, If you shoot a dirty wooden plank you hear the wood make a snaping sound and if it was a little dirty you see some dust fly up as well.

gokumike said:
I don't know if i should of started a new thread about a new topic i want to discuss but i want to talk about bullet effects..., I don't know about you but ive played games that had shitty bullet effects. like battlefield 1942, it looks like you are shooting a BB gun on that game, you shoot a wooden wall and it bounces off and you see a little spark, same when you shoot the dirt, its ridiculous. Ive shot guns in Real life and i know how it should look like when a bullet of a releative caliber hits water or wood or dirt. The new counterstrike video for HL2 for bullets hitting the water was dead on for realism i think. but what about concrete, dirt,walls and etc? and debris flying up as you hit these objects, ive seen games where you shoot the dirt and no debris flys up, in Real life you shoot the dirt you see dirt and a little grass fly up, If you shoot a dirty wooden plank you hear the wood make a snaping sound and if it was a little dirty you see some dust fly up as well.
I suspect HL2 will get bullet effects pretty damn close to realistic. One of the games major features seems to be the idea that every surface is a material with all sorts of special information applied to it to ensure that things like bullets, physics (friction), whether they are flamable or not are all as realistic as possible. So I am confident it be realistic enough since they seem to be concentrating alot on that aspect.

Gonna start a new thread about bullet effects since this thread is kinda old :sleep:

Abom needs a joke detector. I don't know whom he thinks he's protecting from misinformation. How could someone seriously believe that Hl2 levels are completely destructable to the point of all the buildings disappearing? What kind of game would that be? [technically though, there's no engine limit against this, so the original comment isn't entirely a joke]]

MrD said:
Um, and the galaxy class starships?!

Sorry, but Abom's got a point.

Which is? Mentioning starships in a (pseudo) military gunfight game is like shooting up flares that burst and spell out 'JOKE' across the sky.

OneMrBean said:
For Pixar's first Disney movies, it took approximately 4 days straight to render a movie from start to finish. For the movie Finding Nemo, Pixar Studios fully upgraded their equipment to be one of the most powerful powerhouses in digital rendering. Having created their own rendering program (Renderman), they found countless ways to improve both production time and final product. To render Finding Nemo, they combined the power of all of their computers to render the entire movie, from start to finish, in just under three hours. Keep in mind that a movie from Pixar uses billions of polygons on screen, all in fluid (!) motion. The simplest frame was produced in less than a second, while the most complex frame from the movie took about 7 minutes to render.

- OneMrBean

Wow, cool!

Interesting snippets of knowledge to add to my list!

Mr Neutron said:
Which is? Mentioning starships in a (pseudo) military gunfight game is like shooting up flares that burst and spell out 'JOKE' across the sky.

My dear old mum uses the internet. It would be nice to think she could make a post on a message board without getting the p*ss taken out of her. It may well be a joke, and it may well be funny. But it's not called for. There are ways to make jokes without offending people in the process.

I have never seen this many people so bloody uptight over a little sarcasm. Get over it.

TF2 will take over CS:S once it's released, and that's factual information people.

More like your just a fanboy of TF2. Seeing as there are millions of cs players, and maybe a handful of TF players, I don't see that happening. And I wasnt insulting you calling you a fanboy, cuz im a HL2 fanboy. ;)

Back