Radeon 9800 Pro Users?

N

[NPR]Noah Adams

I've just been reading some owner reviews of Radeon 9800 Pro cards, and a number have indicated that the cards run very hot. What has your experience been?

My rad 9800 non pro was pretty hot when I was running it normally. I mentioned this on the forum I go to http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/index.php?s= and was told apparently the chips tend to run a bit toasty and like it. I've flashed it with the pro bios so it is now a 9800 pro, the ramchips are hotter now (feel pretty damn hot hehe). If you notice 'artifacts' (white spots or well, graphical problems) when playing a game or benchmarking or something, then you should clock the speeds down a bit (or some better cooling for the ramchips might help) but if you haven't overclocked your card at all I very much doubt that would happen.

yeah, mine used to get hot with the stock cooler, but after installing a new heatsink and custom ram sinks.. :)

Mine (Build By ATI) has run just fine with relatively high case temps (hey, it's summer and I don't like noise) of ~35-38C. No problems whatsoever.

Originally posted by [NPR]Noah Adams
Cool. Where'd you get the heatsinks?

Zalman made the passive heat pipe cooler, and the fan as well. I replaced the zalman grill with a thermal take grill. bought the heat sinks on the front side of the card somewhere off of the internet a long time ago, cant remember, and the heatsinks on the back were bought from compusa, i had to saw them to get them to fit though. well worth it.. i guess.. i did clock my ram to 392mhz.. not to mention the core 451mhz.

Hehe... and they give fx5900 owners a hard time for taking up TWO slots. :)

there are millions who buy ATI cards and only 100s that post in forums stating problems like these. Its most likley there congested system that is builing up heat with no extra fans or whatnot, the fan on the ATI's is sufficient to do its job by far.

It doesnt hurt to run graphics cards hot, since %80 of the people overclock there cards once they get it more heat is created.

I have the Gigabyte version of the 9800 Pro and it has no heat sinks on the RAM chips, so it probably gets a little hot as I have read in a review. I`m not very techie either so I cant even install any of my own incase I damaged the card! I do have a PCI exhaust fan though that might do the job, I might open my computer up and install it...

Originally posted by Unreal
I have the Gigabyte version of the 9800 Pro and it has no heat sinks on the RAM chips, so it probably gets a little hot as I have read in a review. I`m not very techie either so I cant even install any of my own incase I damaged the card! I do have a PCI exhaust fan though that might do the job, I might open my computer up and install it...

Its actaully very easy to do.....just buy some of that arctic silver adhesive compound(doesnt have to be artic silver) ..get some little heatsinks(bunch of differant kinds)...and glue them on.

Ive considered doing it myself to my 9700pro...when i go any higher than 335 on my memory clock i get artifacts.

I think I`m gonna sell my card though and get a hercules 9800 Pro...
I had a hercules one before and I think it performed a lot better, although I did have to return it because it was either faulty or it wasnt compatible with my computer....Heres hoping it was faulty...
It was making my graphics go totally wild and show artifacts, then the graphics would totally go crazy with textures everywhere, plus even in the desktop it had colored lines running down the screen and in the bios at start up it had weird letters and numbers all over the screen!

It even had smiley faces!!!! That was when I though it was a virus, but taking the radeon out and putting my ti 4600 back in sorted everything.....

even over this?......

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/site/product.do?productId=601630

Look at the cooling on it....

card.jpg

Back