ragdolls in HL2 and CS:S

barnacle

Reaction score
Will the ragdolls in HL2 be different than the ones in CS:S, I hope so. I was watching CS:S videos, and i noticed that a ragdoll that gets spun by a grenade explosion or by falling over an edge, stops spinning non-realistically. The ragdolls also fell from ledges too slowly, like they didn't accelerate or something. It looks dumb, and could probably easily be fixed. Now that i think about it, that combine on the crane flys through the air spinning, but why did they change the rag dolls for CS:S to be worse?
anyone else notice this?

It's probably very similar. If not exactly the same.

The ragdolls in CS:S are probably the most realistic I've seen in any game. Falling off a ledge may seem slow but are you sure it won't be that slow in real life?

I just had a great experience of my dead body rolling down the stairs really slowly.

Sometimes the lack of spinning looks pretty realistic. They do flips, they're just really slow.

barnacle said:
Will the ragdolls in HL2 be different than the ones in CS:S, I hope so. I was watching CS:S videos, and i noticed that a ragdoll that gets spun by a grenade explosion or by falling over an edge, stops spinning non-realistically. The ragdolls also fell from ledges too slowly, like they didn't accelerate or something. It looks dumb, and could probably easily be fixed. Now that i think about it, that combine on the crane flys through the air spinning, but why did they change the rag dolls for CS:S to be worse?
anyone else notice this?
I've seen that in videos as well. It looks stupid, why does their momentum suddenly stop and the body is in a frozen state as it falls to the ground?

Personally I think the rag dolls in CS:S are pretty damn good, but one thing really pisses me off - Their feet always fall through the floor, and it looks f*cking stupid.

iamaelephant said:
Personally I think the rag dolls in CS:S are pretty damn good, but one thing really pisses me off - Their feet always fall through the floor, and it looks f*cking stupid.
Yeah i find that happens alot too. Other then the feet thing and having no momentum in the air, the ragdolls are the best there is

I haven't noticed any feet through the floor at all...

In fact I think the rogdolls in CS:S look amazing...

I love CS:S actually...

well, if u guys didnt know, a body in mid air, frozen, not moving at ALL is preaty unrealistic, and thats what happens on css, the ragdol doesnt move at all in midair, and when they hit the ground, they start moving, but if u wanna see horrible ragdolls, go play/watch tribes vengance beta

their probably beefed up in hl2 singleplayer just because you don't hafta worry about lag

unless ragdolls are all done client-side

somebody should e-mail valve

I think ragdolls in HL2 are going to be better than the ones in CS:S. Like you said, in the one HL2 video the guy that gets blown from the tower spins in mid-air, unlike the ragdolls in CS:S. I'm pretty sure they were just toned down for multiplayer.

if you take a look at ragdolls of hl2 (take for example the flying metrocop on "barricade") they're different and much more realistic than cs:s's, maybe because of lag issues like it was mentioned before or something. i think they'll adjust it later on or maybe you can adjust it via console.

edit meh i got owned.

I remember reading in one of the mails from valve in the stick info from valve post that the ragdoll effects and physics in general are done differently in CS:S. Im very sure I read it infact but it was a while ago.

Why does everyone say this? Jesus people what do you expect a body to do when the life is taken from it in a split second? What do you want, do you expect them to flop around like fish out of water? Of all the ragdolls I have seen I have to say I like hl2's (cs source) and far crys the best. Both score very high marks in my book and I really dont see what people are complaining about. I ask again, what do you expect them to do? Get up and do the electric slide? Or perhaps the running man? OH NO I GOT IT!!! ROBOT! ROBOT! /rant

*edit* As for comparing cs sources to the hl2 video of the guy flying off the crane. Dude its the SAME PHYSICS ENGINE, its called being launched into the air by an explosion. Just as they fly into the air from nade explosions or the bomb detonating in cs source.

ok from my understanding u r talking about the bodies not moving and being in a 'frozen' state when they r in the air.

well if u r judging the ragdolls on 2 videos u have seen then u dont know wot ur talkin about. cs:s ragdolls do move when they r flying thu the air, as realisticly as they could have made it. if u throw a gren next to a dead body, its arms ect will move and flop about as its getting blown away. same thing happens when they fall of a ledge.

barnacle said:
anyone else notice this?

Um, sorry but the ragdolls in Source are THE best I've seen in any game.

For example Far Cry had decent ragdolls, and Source seems way more realistic. I've seen very realistic senarios in CS:S. Stuff like getting shot against a wall and slowly sinking down, with your knees bendng accordingly. To me, it's as close to reality as we're gonna get (until the next gen of killer apps comes out that is.)

You want bad ragdolls, then checkout...

Fight Night 2004
Deus Ex 2
Max Payne 2

... and don't even get me started on DOOM (** two shots and gib **) 3.

u guys must be blind! the ragdolls dont move in mid air!

I remember Valve saying that the physics in CS:S were done that was on purpose.

Check the Valve info thread.

ktimekiller said:
u guys must be blind! the ragdolls dont move in mid air!

you're right ... i 100% agree with you ... ragdolls in midair SUCK

no no no the ragdolls rock !!! im trying to understand what you mean that they dont move in midair? becuse they do ?

kiwii said:
no no no the ragdolls rock !!! im trying to understand what you mean that they dont move in midair? becuse they do ?
they dont move in midair

kiwii said:
If you have CS:S bink, watch the part where the CT's fall off the bridge. Their arms and legs are completely static, where realistically they should be at least moving a little.

CSS ragdolls I would think would be different because they must match different gameplay. Plus CSS is not singleplayer therefore they have to take server and client aspects into acount for multiplayer.

They move when there is force and friction. Their joints may be a little stiff though, which could prevent movement when otherwise there would be. Overall, very realistic and very dynamic which are each a big plus.

the ragdolls are good, except when they are in stupid position, or in midair

They rag dolls were not toned down for multiplayer "lag issues," because the rag dolls are client side. They are actually really good, I havent seen the videos but when you play the game they are great. As for the feet through the floor thing:

http://img45.exs.cx/img45/4781/csfeet.jpg

This is a chronic problem in Source. Another major physics related problem is floating objects (guns, players, bombs, etc.)

i play and replay particular areas in max payne 2 just because of how awsome the ragdoll effects are in teh source engine. i like far cry, but the rag dolls are floaty and not as replayable and fun. considering how much i love the physics in max payne 2 and css [best ragdoll ive seen since max payne 2] hl2 is gonna rawk.

The rag dolls in source are some of the best ragdolls ive seen but i agree,they have to move a bit when they fall cause it just looks like the freeze in the position they died in untill the hit the ground.

im sure that you can get a mod ( LIKE THE MOD REALIZM ) ( spelling )

and the sounds + are aLL different, + rag doll is awesome!!

ok ok maybe in the bink they dont move in mid air but have u actually played the damn game? i have many times and they do move inthe air and they are the best damn ragdolls ever!
i agree with the comment on the shoddy tribes vengeance ragdolls u want crappy ragdolss? look there.

|Star Runner| said:
ok ok maybe in the bink they dont move in mid air but have u actually played the damn game? i have many times and they do move inthe air and they are the best damn ragdolls ever!
i agree with the comment on the shoddy tribes vengeance ragdolls u want crappy ragdolss? look there.

are you talking about REALIZM or some other mod?
i dont think we are talking about the same thing!!
didi you here about that guy in the forum whos is making a mod
called..
korea : those forgottin!!

ScRaTcH-A-HoLiC said:
I think the ragdoll physics are sick in cs.s its always fun to watch people die..

If I ever meet you in person, remind me to run like hell.

Dead bodies do not flail around while flying through the air! They're dead! What in the hell are you people talking about?

Furthermore: Basing your opinion of the ragdolls on the videos is absurd. I've been playing the game for two weeks now and they are, without doubt, the best in any game to date. I've heard many people make comments along the lines of "My God, even dying is fun now!"

Wildhound said:
Dead bodies do not flail around while flying through the air! They're dead! What in the hell are you people talking about?

With the dead bodies in the Source engine, their limbs move a bit, but then they stop moving, while they're still in mid air. For example, if someone were to be on top of a grenade, they would go straight up, their limbs would react naturally...and then suddenly their limbs just stay still. even when they come back down, they don;t move in the position they're in. They just go down like they're frozen. Their limbs would only react if they hit something solid.

In reality, their limbs SHOULD go from pointing downwards to pointing upwards as they reach the peak of their ascent. But they don't, they just keep pointing downwards.

It's not as if I have a problem with it, though. I don't mind it. I realise that the Source engine isn't perfect and has it's flaws, just like all game engines.

OK well the ragDoll in the new C.S are awesome.
but in c.s 1.5 they are basically the same.
i mean if you get shot you fall the same way if you were being
killed by a knife or even a granade( after flying in the air )
if you want to see awesome ragdoll? play PAINKILLER!!!

You speak of CS:S binks & movies..

Where can i DownLoad one?

iamaelephant said:
Hey, in the UT2004 demo entire bodies kept falling through the floor! It'll be fixed, don't worry.

Back