Recommend me a book!

Solaris said:
Just Gtfo out the thread, thanks, bye, don't forget to close the door.

I've really got to stand by what I said about 'to kill a mockingbird', it's fantastic, the depth to the characters is amazing and it was impossible to put down.

'Six Days' is an intresting novel as well, but I've forgotten the author.
Chris Ryans books can be fun too :D
Threads don't have doors.

TKaM is just as boring as BNW, IMO.

willho said:
Threads don't have doors.

TKaM is just as boring as BNW, IMO.
Why? What aspect of it do you not enjoy?
Do you not wonder what really happened and who stabbed that guy? Whats the deal with the Radleys? to name a few.

Solaris said:
Why? What aspect of it do you not enjoy?
Do you not wonder what really happened and who stabbed that guy? Whats the deal with the Radleys? to name a few.
The whole book builds up to one slightly interesting event. That's why it sucked.

the book isnt about events it's a commentary of the times ...literature is not meant to be read for the plot ..the plot is usually secondary to the ideas the book presents ..if you couldnt see that then it must have been boring

willho said:
The whole book builds up to one slightly interesting event. That's why it sucked.
You sir are a very silly boy.
You cannot see the tree, becuase of the bark.

CptStern said:
the book isnt about events it's a commentary of the times ...literature is not meant to be read for the plot ..the plot is usually secondary to the ideas the book presents ..if you couldnt see that then it must have been boring
Literature is meant to be read however the reader may choose. Don't tell me how I'm supposed to read a book. I love to read and analyze books, but TKaM wasn't fun to analyze.

willho said:
Literature is meant to be read however the reader may choose. Don't tell me how I'm supposed to read a book. I love to read and analyze books, but TKaM wasn't fun to analyze.
To Each his Own.

I'm also writing a novel.
It's quite secretive atm though.

Solaris said:
I'm also writing a novel.
It's quite secretive atm though.

cool. I was originally writing a fan-novel for half-life 2 about a year ago, and I got up to around 300,000 words and 52 chapters before it got shut down by my mom who feared me "posting crap on the internet" because to her, all people on the internet are terrible pedophiles/hackers who want to steal all of my money and then come rape me...

DeusExMachina said:
"They're a buncha phonies for chrissakes."

"Tell me about the bunnies George."
Just about sums up both books :p

Sulkdodds said:
What? You stopped? D:

I didnt' really have any reason to continue. Besides, I had gotten out of the book what I wanted: practice. I simply lost interest in it, as it was difficult to write in interesting plot elements when half of my stuff was false and everyone was looking forward to episode 1, which completley debunks the entire ending I was planning on doing.

I thought that the citadel woudl not in fact explode, but would fall onto the city causing massive damage but not destroying it, and that aftermath would be spent cleaning up the remaining combine soldiers. My ending was going to be when finally every last shred of resistance had been cleared up, the citizens hold a mass funeral. Alyx appears magically under a pile of rubble, and nobody knew what happened to gordon. They were then going to prepare for the inevitable second combine invasion and work with the xenians to build an army of combine-tech soldiers and vehicles, and it was supposed to end with Ian looking up into the sky, and wondering if gordon was still alive out there somewhere. Then, it would cut to gordon's point of view and end exactley as half-life 2 ended.

There, you have what was left of my fanfiction.

His Dark Materials damn it! Discworld is good too. I've only read the first two Wheel of Time books but they are good also.

willho no one is impressed by your ability to read sparknotes

Back