Rembering Half-Life

Mess

Reaction score
Who doesn’t remember that now-infamous train ride? A lone, late entrance to a remote location deep in Black Mesa, Mexico. From the start there was always a sense of unease as you passed over leaked pools of radioactive waste or encountered a security guard frantically thumping on a locked door. It was as if this perfect, futuristic research centre wasn’t quite as perfect as it should have been. The sense of unease built as your progress to work through the facility continued. Malfunctioning doors, quiet words from the experts…the ominous presence of some G-man everywhere you go.

This quiet sense of dread escalated terrifyingly, like some kind of Blair-Witch videogame crescendo, finally peaking at a devastating climax as the resonance cascade begins and you realise that the world around you is being torn apart. Now, deep underground, you find yourself alone in a hostile environment, slowly failing to contain the catastrophe you unleashed.

The feeling of terror, guilt, absolute immersion at this point was infallible. Creeping your way past the litterage of dead bodies, blood smears and sputtering machinery there was a terrible knowledge in the gamers’ mind – there are creatures in the complex, and sooner or later, I’m going to meet them.

It’s too soon after that you start to hear the all-too-familiar chirruping of a headcrab. Weaponless and defenceless, all there is to do is avoid the thing like the plague and dive into the ventilation shafts, where the fun really begins.

For me, the beauty of Half-Life laid in its confounding simplicity and stark, brutal realism. This wasn’t a videogame pseudo-reality you were placed in – rather, you were put in the most realistic environment possible and a videogame occurred there. Nothing ever happens that you can conceive as being out of the ordinary – Black Mesa is an apocalyptic microcosm that (when playing the game, anyway) seems the most feasible thing imaginable. This environment is a bland, ugly, detestable environment. A boring workplace for so many people, suddenly transformed by a new and terrifying hostility. All of a sudden there is a sense of purpose and progression. Your sole mission is now to survive, and as you find your first crowbar :)D) meet the survivors your nerves are calmed, you become resolute. You become the Gordon Freeman who is going to beat this challenge.

Valve constantly threw new challenges and scenarios your way. Non-stop scripted sequences, sometimes terrifying, other times hilarious, soon gave way to plot progression. From nerve-shredding isolation and survival to a sense of comradery and the slow realisation that you are a hero. Amongst all these petrified, weedy scientists and useless security guards you are suddenly the beacon, an icon of hope, their one chance of survival. As the firepower intensifies and the aliens get bigger, you really start to feel like you are a badass.

This feeling is soon quashed, though. In a stroke of genius, immediately predictable but only when you see it for yourself, the army are rolled in and then the chaos really starts. The first moment, watching a fellow scientist get gunned down, you realise that the troops are here to remove all traces of the incident is agonising. Your fight just got a whole lot tougher. But this doesn’t phase the gamer. You are drawn deeper in, with a new resolve. Killing the grunts and taking their weapons, your new mission is apparent – you’re not heading to the surface anymore; you’re going deeper in, to the Lambda Core. Vital information must be sent into space on a ship so the world knows of this disaster. A purpose becomes painfully clear.

One of the most tear-jerking moments in Half-Life was when, after all the chaos, death and destruction in the claustrophobic corridors and air-ducts of the facility, you break through the surface and find yourself on the outside. In fact, I think this happens when you go and launch the rocket. The sky is a dazzling blue, lifted by clouds glowing pink as the sun sets below them. It’s suddenly at that point that you realise that there’s more to this than just Black Mesa. Through all of this, the world has been carrying on oblivious outside. Nearly a whole day has passed since the incident, the sun is setting, mountain eagles are shrieking out their calls as they prepare to roost. The starkest contrast possible to previous events, it was a beautiful moment.

However you descend back into the depths of Black Mesa and the plot once again thickens – the army are now under attack themselves. Weakened and bereft of all resolve, the mysterious and elusive Freeman is proving to be a formidable foe. Is he a ghost? An alien himself? Messages of “You’re dead Freeman” on the walls show their effectiveness waning. The Special Ops come in to erase the aliens, scientists, and the army. The army pull out to nuke the whole area. As for you, your new task is to head into quite possibly the most terrifying place comprehendible – the Xen homeworld, to destroy the main source of power fuelling these portals. What ensues is possibly the weakest part of the game, with platforming, and a poor environment. It detracted too much from the beauty of the rest of the game to be as enjoyable.

The ending though was a different story. Coming face to face with the G-man, you slowly learn that all of the incident was a test and all of your efforts were in vain. This was planned, co-ordinated by other forces and you were just their puppet. There are bigger thinks at stake. These will be revealed on Tuesday.

that is a good way too pass time, write an essay on half life, good work though

Mess said:
Who doesn’t remember that now-infamous train ride? A lone, late entrance to a remote location deep in Black Mesa, Mexico. From the start there was always a sense of unease as you passed over leaked pools of radioactive waste or encountered a security guard frantically thumping on a locked door. It was as if this perfect, futuristic research centre wasn’t quite as perfect as it should have been. The sense of unease built as your progress to work through the facility continued. Malfunctioning doors, quiet words from the experts…the ominous presence of some G-man everywhere you go.

This quiet sense of dread escalated terrifyingly, like some kind of Blair-Witch videogame crescendo, finally peaking at a devastating climax as the resonance cascade begins and you realise that the world around you is being torn apart. Now, deep underground, you find yourself alone in a hostile environment, slowly failing to contain the catastrophe you unleashed.

The feeling of terror, guilt, absolute immersion at this point was infallible. Creeping your way past the litterage of dead bodies, blood smears and sputtering machinery there was a terrible knowledge in the gamers’ mind – there are creatures in the complex, and sooner or later, I’m going to meet them.

It’s too soon after that you start to hear the all-too-familiar chirruping of a headcrab. Weaponless and defenceless, all there is to do is avoid the thing like the plague and dive into the ventilation shafts, where the fun really begins.

For me, the beauty of Half-Life laid in its confounding simplicity and stark, brutal realism. This wasn’t a videogame pseudo-reality you were placed in – rather, you were put in the most realistic environment possible and a videogame occurred there. Nothing ever happens that you can conceive as being out of the ordinary – Black Mesa is an apocalyptic microcosm that (when playing the game, anyway) seems the most feasible thing imaginable. This environment is a bland, ugly, detestable environment. A boring workplace for so many people, suddenly transformed by a new and terrifying hostility. All of a sudden there is a sense of purpose and progression. Your sole mission is now to survive, and as you find your first crowbar :)D) meet the survivors your nerves are calmed, you become resolute. You become the Gordon Freeman who is going to beat this challenge.

Valve constantly threw new challenges and scenarios your way. Non-stop scripted sequences, sometimes terrifying, other times hilarious, soon gave way to plot progression. From nerve-shredding isolation and survival to a sense of comradery and the slow realisation that you are a hero. Amongst all these petrified, weedy scientists and useless security guards you are suddenly the beacon, an icon of hope, their one chance of survival. As the firepower intensifies and the aliens get bigger, you really start to feel like you are a badass.

This feeling is soon quashed, though. In a stroke of genius, immediately predictable but only when you see it for yourself, the army are rolled in and then the chaos really starts. The first moment, watching a fellow scientist get gunned down, you realise that the troops are here to remove all traces of the incident is agonising. Your fight just got a whole lot tougher. But this doesn’t phase the gamer. You are drawn deeper in, with a new resolve. Killing the grunts and taking their weapons, your new mission is apparent – you’re not heading to the surface anymore; you’re going deeper in, to the Lambda Core. Vital information must be sent into space on a ship so the world knows of this disaster. A purpose becomes painfully clear.

One of the most tear-jerking moments in Half-Life was when, after all the chaos, death and destruction in the claustrophobic corridors and air-ducts of the facility, you break through the surface and find yourself on the outside. In fact, I think this happens when you go and launch the rocket. The sky is a dazzling blue, lifted by clouds glowing pink as the sun sets below them. It’s suddenly at that point that you realise that there’s more to this than just Black Mesa. Through all of this, the world has been carrying on oblivious outside. Nearly a whole day has passed since the incident, the sun is setting, mountain eagles are shrieking out their calls as they prepare to roost. The starkest contrast possible to previous events, it was a beautiful moment.

However you descend back into the depths of Black Mesa and the plot once again thickens – the army are now under attack themselves. Weakened and bereft of all resolve, the mysterious and elusive Freeman is proving to be a formidable foe. Is he a ghost? An alien himself? Messages of “You’re dead Freeman” on the walls show their effectiveness waning. The Special Ops come in to erase the aliens, scientists, and the army. The army pull out to nuke the whole area. As for you, your new task is to head into quite possibly the most terrifying place comprehendible – the Xen homeworld, to destroy the main source of power fuelling these portals. What ensues is possibly the weakest part of the game, with platforming, and a poor environment. It detracted too much from the beauty of the rest of the game to be as enjoyable.

The ending though was a different story. Coming face to face with the G-man, you slowly learn that all of the incident was a test and all of your efforts were in vain. This was planned, co-ordinated by other forces and you were just their puppet. There are bigger thinks at stake. These will be revealed on Tuesday.

I try to play Half Life on Hard and complete it every week. Ive NEVER EVER played it on easy. Buetiful writing though, brough a tear to my eye.

I also think the atmosphere in Half-Life 2 will be extremely gripping, more so than its predecessor. I love the 1984 vibe that's going on.

Cool read, but give xen a break.
that was one of the single most exciting things i've ever played out in a game. Alien factories with slaves and overseers, strange stones, crystals, webs, birds, butterflies, live plants, huge boney bamboo like tree trunks... strange noises, low gravity... Amazing stuff.
It felt chaotic, surreal and awesome!

I remember when i first teleported to xen. The screen faded in and i could hear the wind blowing past, i just stood there and looked around for a good few minutes. Such a scene change...

^ Agreed, Plug. Why does everyone hate on Xen? It was beautiful, and a welcome change of pace after the claustrophobic tension. You go straight from being confined (for the most part) in a military base, into this wide open, asteroid-laden nebula. I thought it was great, and the platforming parts weren't as hard as everybody makes them out to be. Didn't anyone ever play Mario as a kid? The platform jumps were easy stuff.

Bravo! One of the most worth while things I ever read here :). I'm currently going back through HL on hard. Im Lovin it!
I agree darksquid the jumps wern't to hard..i played super mario a shitload when I was younger.. I mean that game was amazing back when i was a young young kid. I loved it :).

Very nice read. Makes me feel a bit nostalgic even though I played through hl for something like the twentieth time last week. I do agree the Xen levels disturbed the pace a bit but were they that bad really?
Now go write another page that covers Opposing Force :E

I've complete it lately again..it was a nice experience to go throught again. :love: :tinyted:

Xen jumps may not have been that hard, but there are people, like me, who absolutely hate Mario. Though I agree the Xen jumps were nowhere near as bad.

Plug said:
Cool read, but give xen a break.
that was one of the single most exciting things i've ever played out in a game. Alien factories with slaves and overseers, strange stones, crystals, webs, birds, butterflies, live plants, huge boney bamboo like tree trunks... strange noises, low gravity... Amazing stuff.
It felt chaotic, surreal and awesome!

I remember when i first teleported to xen. The screen faded in and i could hear the wind blowing past, i just stood there and looked around for a good few minutes. Such a scene change...
EXACTLY !!!
The only one alien world design in a game that triumphs over Xen is one level from Unreal 2. I dont know the name of the world but if you played...you know which one i mean...

Nice little read... Good job..

But why the huge text?

nice essay. i started replaying again a while ago and left the game at interloper so that i can pick it up there and beat it right beforei start HL2. i wish i would have left it with more to play...

Great read.

Personally, the only parts of Xen that I didn't like were the smegging jumping 'puzzles'. Xen itself was pretty cool, partucilarly the whole mining facility.

kaf11 said:
nice essay. i started replaying again a while ago and left the game at interloper so that i can pick it up there and beat it right beforei start HL2. i wish i would have left it with more to play...

Good idea, maybe should load up the last HL level and beat it before playing HL2. I know I won't be able to wait to play through more than that though :).

Back