retailed HL2

Z

-ZerØ

i know i might sound n00b, and i am at this forums, but i been hearing everyone saying you need to unlock or active hl2. does this inclued the HL2 version you buy at the shop?..or is it only the version that ppl can dl?...cuz i been thinking, wat if someone buys hl2 and is poor enough not the have internet but can have a decend comp to run hl2, BUT DONT HAVE THE INTERNET, how can they play hl2?

can somone explain please?...and please dont say "ban him" or "why did you make this thread" or "another usless thread", cuz i seriously want to know.

You need an internet connection, regardless of where you buy it. It's for a one time activation over Steam. If someone doesn't have an internet connection, tough luck.

FISKER_Q said:
Use another persons internet.

It has to be done on the computer with the HL2 files, otherwise it won't work.

but wat if some one dont have the internet?

Like I said, tough luck. Use a free trial AOL disc and a phone line.

Yea, you can just hop on over to a friend's house, log into steam on thier computer, register your copy, and then go home and play. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Ban him, another useless thread, why did he make this thread? :p

Just kidding..lol. Yep all versions have to be unlocked through Steam.

SSJ4Vegita2002 said:
Yea, you can just hop on over to a friend's house, log into steam on thier computer, register your copy, and then go home and play. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Hmm let see, the steam copy at his house still wouldn't know it was authenticated, so yeah, that doesn't work.

So let me get this straight:

Someone who has enough money to..

a) Pay US$50 for a copy of HL2
b) Pay quite a bit of money for a computer capable of playing HL2 (eg. $200 or so for a decent video card and more ram)

Cannot afford $10 for one month of dialup access to activate HL2?

And as far as having a modem is concerned.. that's usually included with PC's, and if not, that's a whole $10 as well..

So the whole "problem" of activating over the internet is not really a problem, as anyone who can afford to buy the game and have a PC good enough to run it, ALSO should be able to afford at least one month of internet access (and if those people live in the US, they can get that one month free from AOL and then just cancel...)

SSJ4Vegita2002 said:

As far as I know that wouldn't work. How would your copy at home know it's been unlocked? It can't go online and check right?

What Valve really needs is a way to activate via phone as well as online, like the two choices for activating Windows XP.

SSJ4Vegita2002 said:

Yeah, but it needs to decrypt the files on YOUR computer. It won't work if you do it at your friend's house.

You could simply take your computer to their house, connect to the internet, activate it, and take the computer back home. Done!

i´m sure in a few months a version of HL2 will be out that doesn´t need an online activation.

-ZerØ said:
i know i might sound n00b, and i am at this forums, but i been hearing everyone saying you need to unlock or active hl2. does this inclued the HL2 version you buy at the shop?..or is it only the version that ppl can dl?...cuz i been thinking, wat if someone buys hl2 and is poor enough not the have internet but can have a decend comp to run hl2, BUT DONT HAVE THE INTERNET, how can they play hl2?

can somone explain please?...and please dont say "ban him" or "why did you make this thread" or "another usless thread", cuz i seriously want to know.
1. do you have a phone line?
2. do you have a 56k modem, if not 10-20 from any computer store
3. get netzero from a cyber cafe (if they let you)

Tropico said:
i´m sure in a few months a version of HL2 will be out that doesn´t need an online activation.

That makes no sense. Why would they do that? :|

-ZerØ said:

Yes all need inet. But wow people are seriously out of it. Get one of those 99999999 free hours AOL cds that are EVERYWHERE. Make account auth hl2 cancel. SIMPLE!

oh ok thanks guys

oh and miker75, it was just an example, please dont get to excited.

and blackmasadude i think that he dont mean it wat he says in the pic :stare:

KagePrototype said:
It has to be done on the computer with the HL2 files, otherwise it won't work.

Like I said, tough luck. Use a free trial AOL disc and a phone line.
I never said it didn't require the files. But it should be possible to just authenticate, and then copy/paste the clientregistry.blob.

Tropico said:

Nope. Keep hoping because its not going to come.

i got another questiona bout the stratergy guide, im getting hl2 from EB, im getting the "Limitied Collecters Edition"..does anyone know if the stratergy guide comes with this or do i have to buy it sperately?

The book you get with the Collector's Edition is a hybrid sampler of both Raising the Bar and the Strat Guide, I believe.

so is that different to the stratergy guide?. anyone know wats on the book witht the collecters edition?..cuz if it aint the stratergy guide, ill have to buy that too.

you'll have to buy that too...my understanding is the CE book is a little bit of both

how much of either one,no idea at all

-ZerØ said:
so is that different to the stratergy guide?. anyone know wats on the book witht the collecters edition?..cuz if it aint the stratergy guide, ill have to buy that too.

I told you; it's a hybrid sampler of both. A teaser for both books.

Back