Rome: Total War anyone?

SidewinderX said:
man. I'm so frustrated. I sailed a ship to seige a small town with an extreamly small force (3 town guards, 1 archer, 1 velite, 1 general...i wasn't expecting much). So I besiege it, go into a battle.... and break the gates down.... then my town guards are slaughters and rout. So I figure i'm pretty much screwed...I end up inside the walls with my troops, about 130 all told (archers, velites, remainder of general's calvary) I'm fighting about 170 enemy infantry. My archers end up killing ~60, so the fight is more even.... I manage to surround the reamining enemy troops, and, my missile infantry out of missile ammo, charge from all sides. They're being decimated.....and then the time run out.... there were seriously 17 enemies left... and I lost because of the timer :(

Whoever decided to put a timer in deserves to be shot. It's the most stupid idea i've ever seen.

I can't even think of a reason why they would put it in. I doubt the Roman army pulled out of every battle after 30 minutes if they hadn't won yet.

Ah, the timer makes a lot of sense. It represents the ability of the enemy city to hold out against your attack in terms of fatiguing your troops and grinding down your momentum. Its especially handy if your defending, as it means you can hold off a larger force simply by bogging them down. It makes a lot of sense.

And a tip, dont use Town Watch, for anything, at all. There fine for temporary guards in your cities (while your waiting for the population to grow high enough to hire better troops), but as a combat force, they're pethetic. They will break and flee in no time. They can be handy as human walls in defence, but as an attacking force they're crapulance.

The timer is a good feature, sometimes enemys get stuck in a siege tower and cant be harmed or harm anyone. So the timer allows you to win when that bug otherwise would force a defeat if did not have fire handy.

Back