Rome Total War Demo 23rd aug.

yeah, and i miss how effective archers were from Medieval ;(

i remember battles where i had about 500 longbowmen and 300 odd infantry and cavalry...the enemy would get cut down even before they reached my lines :E

alas no more :( does seem to take out a huge part of the strategy, although i'm definitely looking forward to siege warfare!

Hmmm...The way formations are done is certainly...Different.

Having teh battle set up like that was fun to wathc, but we didn't really get to do anything. Also, not seeing the campaign map is annoying, but I suppose I can live with that.

I know what you mean about the archers as well, I loved longbowmen. I guess there is still something of that in the game, but not to such a degree.

havent played a RTS since war Warcraft 2, but I'll try the demo out, from what some of you have posted it looks awesome

I liked the demo, but it was a bit short and all set up for you. I think it would've been nicer if they made you set up the whole trap scheme yourself.

Does anyone elses computer just randomly restart when playing this demo?? Mine's done it twice...

AmishSlayer said:
I liked the demo, but it was a bit short and all set up for you. I think it would've been nicer if they made you set up the whole trap scheme yourself.

I agree. They practically told you what to do and how to win it. For example, using the horses to ambush the enemy etc.

Perhaps archers just weren't that important back in the roman times. I'm pretty certain the romans themselves didn't really use them as a main force.

I agree the demo was short. Would have been nice if you could do a skirmish-like setup like in Medieval:TW where you pic the units for both armies. They could have restricted it to only the romans and cartha...hannibals, and limit the number of different unit types. Oh well.

I have high hopes for the siege combat. I always thought that was the lamest part of M:TW and Shogun, with castles etc being not much more than a wall. Now we get to attack entire cities.

Hmm, I think I'll replay the demo battle some more. Need to figure out how to use my elephino's better, they always seem to turn around and hit my own ranks after trampling only one enemy rank. I suppose I should order them to charge the last rank instead of the first...

Yeah archers were generally auxillaries, recruited from those outside Rome. That isnt to say they didn't use them to great effect, or have their own though. They just weren't as refined back then really. At least, in western/central Europe. Further east, I think they were much better even then.

Siege combat is deffinately something I'm waiting for...

The way the campaign map is also something of interest, because its 3d and you can zoom down to any point apparently.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Yeah archers were generally auxillaries, recruited from those outside Rome. That isnt to say they didn't use them to great effect, or have their own though. They just weren't as refined back then really. At least, in western/central Europe. Further east, I think they were much better even then.

Siege combat is deffinately something I'm waiting for...

The way the campaign map is also something of interest, because its 3d and you can zoom down to any point apparently.

And I think I've read (and the tutorial strongly implied) that where ever you put the UNits on the campain map is where they end up in the battle. And they look the same, like if you see a hill on the campaign map then you get the same hill in the battle.

Personally I wish they'd of included all the time commanders maps. How cool would that of been.

For the none brits time commanders was a tv show were 4 people were tasked with playing Rome total war (hard I know). They either had to pull a victory were their was defeat or win a historical battle. However the show was a good laugh and I'd of loved to of showed them how to do it :)

Only problem with the show for me was the obsesion of players with hills. We're on a hill its okay... but theirs 40,000 of them and only 6 of us. Don't worry as long as we don't move from the hill all will be hunky dory... Needless to say they lost more often than not :)

Its so funny. All the BFME sites are bashing RTW saying "BFME will be uber 1337 it has so much strategy!!!111" its so funny.

Farrowlesparrow said:
BFME? What is that?

Battle For Middle Earth.

and frankly i doubt it has more strategy elements than Rome, or Medieval, or Shogun.

Well, I'm prolly not a very keen strategist. I lost the first battle flatout, mainly coz i let the elephants rampage my own troops. The second one went a bit better: I won but just nearly (lost over half my troops). Loved every second of it tho.

I am very much looking forward to the campaign. Can't wait to send out mercenaries to kill my enemies, strike deals with other factions and then slaughter them when they feel safe. I is teh Nero!

After hearing all the good things about this game... I was expecting something fun... but it sucked... :hmph: Age of Empires is better... even in the graphics area (yes I turned Total War's settings all the way up and 1400x1050 resolution)...

The game mechanics seem great, but the demo was disappointing. They practically set it up so you can't lose.

The demo is great, but I think I'm going to wait for Battle for Middle-Earth, where you can have more of any army on a screen at one time.

p.s. How do you play as Romans?

Dedalus said:
Battle For Middle Earth.

and frankly i doubt it has more strategy elements than Rome, or Medieval, or Shogun.

I've still yet to play even a half-decent LOTR game, BFME is bound to suck also...

StardogChampion said:
I've still yet to play even a half-decent LOTR game, BFME is bound to suck also...

BFME looks like a dumbed down R:TW, without flanking or fatigue and such. I thought it had some things R:TW would lack, like units cheering after a win, but in the demo I noticed that's in R:TW too. The list of reasons to get BFME is getting shorter and shorter with R:TW around the corner, with the main point on the list being "It's lotr".

I'll read the BFME reviews and decide when it's out.

Hope I'm not going too offtopic, but I think most has been said about the demo here anyway.

Matter of taste I suppose. Just read the hands-on on gamespot, and it contains a lot of the word "streamlined". It's usually the buzzword for simplifying in order to reach a larger audience. I'm sure Deus Ex: IW was 'streamlined' a lot as well for example.

I'm not trying to bash BFME, I'm sure it will be a fun game that's easier to get into than R:TW. But as it seems to lack some of the depth R:TW has, I'm not sure it will hold my attention after I've played all the epic LOTR battles that make up a large part of the cool factor.

A LOTR mod for R:TW would be pretty much ideal, if it doesn't get shut down by EA or some other party.

I hope they'll release a demo for BFME too. Will give me a chance to see if I'm wrong and it plays as great as it looks, or if it suffers from the "Dungeon Siege"/over-streamlining syndrome (great graphics, plays like a screensaver).

Oh thank God: one of the screens in the flash html page has on option for 'arcade battles'. It must be checked on for the demo. Time to get back to wanting this game.

BFME seems to becoming more and more like RTW, while RTW stays true to its kickassness. BFME going RTW wards is good.

the game is pretty cool.

but the units are so damn small from far away, when ur zoomed in it looks pretty cool though.

but i usually have no clue what im doing with so many dudes, first i always try to be eeeh "strategic" but then choas starts and i just select them all and click on the enemy :)
im not so much into stratagy games i always play it really relaxed

it runs really good though at 1600x1200 high AA on a 9700pro
i didnt expect it to run so smooth with so many dudes on screen.

i dunno if im gonna get this game, im problably gonna get the LOTR game though

Sorry to bumb this old thread up again, but it's a useful bump!

I think it's a great demo, but the mod in my attachments makes it much much better, it allows you to create custom battles on the existing two maps. You can choose factions, attacker/defender role and units.

Just put it in the root RTW folder and run it.

(the zip file is safe)

PvtRyan said:
Sorry to bumb this old thread up again, but it's a useful bump!

I think it's a great demo, but the mod in my attachments makes it much much better, it allows you to create custom battles on the existing two maps. You can choose factions, attacker/defender role and units.

Just put it in the root RTW folder and run it.

That sounds very nice. I'm going to do a battle with like 5000 elephants versus 50,000 archers! Hahaha, poor bastards! Mwhaha!! Uh...

Seppo said:
That sounds very nice. I'm going to do a battle with like 5000 elephants versus 50,000 archers! Hahaha, poor bastards! Mwhaha!! Uh...

Heh, that's a bit beyond the mod/engine, but I just did my army of 2000 vs the barbarian army of 2000 men :D (they were crushed with 1600 casualties vs 300 on my side)

The feel of this game is incredible, you can really feel it when lines of a few hundred men slam into eachother, with the heavy sound of their footsteps and their battlecries (although they are a bit repetitive). Also great is to line up a lot of archers and then watch the rain of arrows.

Yeah, it's awesome. But the arrows aren't as effective as I would've hoped. Usually one rain of arrows only kills like five or so men. But it's cool how they try to block the arrows by raising their shields.

I've downloaded and tried it now. A bit late, I know :p
Great demo. Is there any way to play as the Romans too? *me is t3h newb*

Varg|Hund said:
I've downloaded and tried it now. A bit late, I know :p
Great demo. Is there any way to play as the Romans too? *me is t3h newb*

Download the mod in my other posts, works great :)

Yeah, it's awesome. But the arrows aren't as effective as I would've hoped. Usually one rain of arrows only kills like five or so men. But it's cool how they try to block the arrows by raising their shields.

Yeah, too bad they're not very effective. Most effective against infantry is cavalary, I killed more than 300 of 'em without losing a single horse.

I absolutley love the demo. I can't wait to try that new mod thing, but I tried the one that gets rid of the movie and starts the romans across the river.

The real-time battles are awsome, but the core of the game is the turn-based mode, which, if it's even minorly better than MTW, will be fricking awsome.

SidewinderX said:
The real-time battles are awsome, but the core of the game is the turn-based mode, which, if it's even minorly better than MTW, will be fricking awsome.
Have you seen the screenshots of the world mode? Indeed it looks fricking awesome!!! I was actually thinking it would just be a rehash of Medieval 2D map... But it looked really wicked when I saw it for the first time today.

SidewinderX said:

I agree. I love to send out mercenaries to kill garrison leaders or negotiate alliances. I hope the tbs part is very political.

Of course I see this tweak 1 day after I delete the demo. Time to d/l again...

as soon as we all get a handle on RTW, we'll definitly need to set up an hl2.net bracket

Back