router recomondations

Reaction score
since i am getting a new comp this week i am planning to get a router so i ca go online using two comps...which router would you guys recommend??

Linksys...Netgear...Dlink
Not belkin or SMC
;)

cool thanks but am i required to buy wires to connect both my pcs or will it come with it? and should i get a wireless one?

Get wired unless you really want to get wireless, and encrypt it if you do go wireless.
Wired is more stable, faster, and easier to work with except for the part about it not being wireless...

The box should come with 1 cable which usually is used to go to the Modem (Cable/DSL). Buy your own cables (Cat5e or Cat6).

what happens if u want to encrypt it? i dont get it, o and another thing will i need sometype of network adaptor card?

Wireless has a few flaws and one of them is security.
If you have a wireless network setup without it being encrypted, I can use my wireless laptop or wireless PDA and see your network, I can use your internet and I can even see your PC's.

You need to encrypt the Wireless connection and set that up with each of your PC's so that only those that are encrypted can use the Wireless network. It will look like it's passworded otherwise.

The other flaws are speed, latency and interferences.

If you ask me routers suck.

Its more fun to run the internet through another box.

I've got 2 ethernet cards, and 2 onboard in this comp, and i'm getting a pci wireless card now.

Its just neat.

johnnypoopoopant said:
can u explain to me y routers suck?

Well I know that when I had my Belkin it was constantly losing the connection and had to be unplugged then plugged back in to restart it, at times it would do it every hour. Then we got a Linksys and never has lost connection or had any problems, been running nonstop for 6 months now. :D

linksys wireless router here. no problems. its very convenient. but be sure to lock it up. encryption key, and also i limit the MAC address access to wireless computer's manually to even further security

3COM do some very nice wireless routers - secure, easy, reliable and they look and feel really professional.

Gunsnroses and bosox188 - don't insult routers just because you're noobs and can't configure routers properly. The whole point of a router is so you don't need a machine that's running 24/7 that's got every PCI slot fitted with a PCI card. What on earth is fun about that? (apart from being completely insecure, and that's fun because.....erm....)

Like Asus says, if you get a wireless router you should restrict MAC access to only authenticated MAC addresses (you type these in yourself) and also adding 128+bit WEP - to keep the monkeys out.

lePobz said:
3COM do some very nice wireless routers - secure, easy, reliable and they look and feel really professional.

Gunsnroses and bosox188 - don't insult routers just because you're noobs and can't configure routers properly. The whole point of a router is so you don't need a machine that's running 24/7 that's got every PCI slot fitted with a PCI card. What on earth is fun about that? (apart from being completely insecure, and that's fun because.....erm....)

Like Asus says, if you get a wireless router you should restrict MAC access to only authenticated MAC addresses (you type these in yourself) and also adding 128+bit WEP - to keep the monkeys out.

Whoa wait a minute there Pobz. I didn't say routers suck, routers are a good thing. I didn't realize he was replying to Gunsnroses. All I said was Belkin routers are bad and I know from personal experience, didn't you read the next part where I said I now have a Linksys and it rocks? I thought he was asking why some routers are bad and some are good. And I forgot to mention that Netgear also makes awesome routers. And I'm definitely not a noob. :(

Sorry but that reply was mainly for Gunsnroses ( teh nub :LOL: )

And your Belkin wasn't properly configured, all you had to do was tell it to automatically configure you're IP dynamically from the ISP and it wouldn't have kept dropping the connection. :)

Sorry anyway, you're not that much of a noob :D

actually it was i who mentioned the MAC address filtering. simple mistake. np

lePobz said:

And your Belkin wasn't properly configured, all you had to do was tell it to automatically configure you're IP dynamically from the ISP and it wouldn't have kept dropping the connection. :)

Well when it was put in that was a year ago maybe, I didn't know anything about computers. My dad set it up and everything, and he knows what he's doing. Oh well, I just noticed an overall improvement with the Linksys.

lePobz said:

My linux box, acts as a hardware firewall.

Its more secure, then any router you have.

NUB

Not to mention MOREFUN, If you dont agree its fun, thats your problem.

I'm sorry but hardware firewalls have the advantage of not being able to be disabled by any code regardless of how long you spend trying - software firewalls are never 100% secure as an observed backwards-configured server can be penetrated with time, patience and a bit of custom code.

And no, I don't agree it's fun. It's your problem. Fun is tearing around Nurburgring in a 360 challenge stradale.

lePobz said:
And no, I don't agree it's fun. It's your problem. Fun is tearing around Nurburgring in a 360 challenge stradale.

Oh man that would be awesome!
:cheers:

Back